Do You Have a Favorite Chick Tract or Comic?

PappaBear

Elect
Reaction score
Chick tracts are famously some of the best cartoon tracts to hand out.  I have seen people take them appreciatively when other regular style tracts were being crumpled up and discarded.  We received one tonight that was passed out at a baseball game, "The Slugger."  Very appropriate for that targeted audience, and appeared well received.

Years ago, I found that Chick Publications had full blown "comic books" in a fashion like you would find from Marvel Comics, only about fundamentalist subject matter.  I enjoyed reading many of them!  I can't say I have an only favorite, but I remember enjoying "The Big Betrayal" (I have long been a fan of reading Abe Lincoln historical matter), and "Sabotage" regarding Bible History and the persecution of the Word of God.

Have you read Chick tracts and comics?  Do you have a favorite you would recommend for churches to give out?  Tell us about it!

Oh, I have some favorites. I definitely would not recommend giving them out other than to a few of my friends.  :D

I think my favorite comics were Iron Man, Spiderman, and The Spirit (only that last one had many incarnations, and I'm not sure which one I liked). 

There are a select few that I like (sorry, don't remember any titles), but most of them are so lunatic fringe nutty (anti-Catholic, anti-rock & roll, anti-D&D, anti-modern Bible versions, etc.) that I wouldn't consider giving out a Chick tract without reading it first, and only maybe 10% would pass.

Castor Muscular said:
I think my favorite comics were Iron Man, Spiderman, and The Spirit (only that last one had many incarnations, and I'm not sure which one I liked).

More of a Batman/Spiderman kinda guy. I remember some kid giving me a comic called "Switchblade and the Cross", I think.

Izdaari said:
(anti-Catholic,

Yep!  I liked the "Alberto" series, too.  Lots have been "anti-Catholic" since the Reformation.  I'm not sure, but I suspect it may have something to do with their worship of Mary, transubstantiation, and maybe works salvation through keeping the sacraments.  But I could be wrong.

Izdaari said:
anti-rock & roll,

Absolutely!  The rebellious, free sex, drug culture of rock has done much to destroy generations of youth.  When John Lennon declared the Beatles more popular than Jesus Christ did a lot to confirm the wisdom of Christians opposing that culture.

Izdaari said:
anti-D&D,

Yeah.  They just seem to frown on demonic activity like dungeons & dragons, or ouija boards and seances.  But then again, I don't recommend engaging in those works of darkness, myself.

Izdaari said:
anti-modern Bible versions, etc.)

I'll take it from your post that you are supportive of Roman Catholicism, rock music, and dungeons and dragons.  It is not surprising then that you would also be promoting modern Bible versions.  All that pretty well runs in the same circles.  Chick Publications are also anti-alcohol and drugs.  But all that is what we Christians are trying to get people saved FROM.  So it is understandable that those fringe elements that support that kind of wickedness would be antagonistic to a Bible that does not compromise on such things as salvation by grace, fornication and recreational drugs, or playing with demons.

PappaBear said:
Chick Publications are also anti-alcohol and drugs.  But all that is what we Christians are trying to get people saved FROM. 

Really?  Aren't Christians trying to get women saved from wearing pants, too? 

PappaBear said:
Izdaari said:
(anti-Catholic,

Yep!  I liked the "Alberto" series, too.  Lots have been "anti-Catholic" since the Reformation.  I'm not sure, but I suspect it may have something to do with their worship of Mary, transubstantiation, and maybe works salvation through keeping the sacraments.  But I could be wrong.

Izdaari said:
anti-rock & roll,

Absolutely!  The rebellious, free sex, drug culture of rock has done much to destroy generations of youth.  When John Lennon declared the Beatles more popular than Jesus Christ did a lot to confirm the wisdom of Christians opposing that culture.

Izdaari said:
anti-D&D,

Yeah.  They just seem to frown on demonic activity like dungeons & dragons, or ouija boards and seances.  But then again, I don't recommend engaging in those works of darkness, myself.

Izdaari said:
anti-modern Bible versions, etc.)

I'll take it from your post that you are supportive of Roman Catholicism, rock music, and dungeons and dragons.  It is not surprising then that you would also be promoting modern Bible versions.  All that pretty well runs in the same circles.  Chick Publications are also anti-alcohol and drugs.  But all that is what we Christians are trying to get people saved FROM.  So it is understandable that those fringe elements that support that kind of wickedness would be antagonistic to a Bible that does not compromise on such things as salvation by grace, fornication and recreational drugs, or playing with demons.

Well, obviously we're going to differ on all those points. You are (apparently) IFBx and I'm Anglo-Catholic Episcopalutheran (TEC & ELCA). I'm not sure there's even enough common ground for a productive discussion on them.

But a few points anyway:

1) I do not support worship of Mary, transubstantiation or works salvation. I do however, believe in Real Presence, but spiritually rather the physically. That's essentially the position of several Protestant denominations.

2) I love rock 'n' roll as a music, not as a culture.

3) D&D and other fantasy roleplaying games are not inherently occult or demonic. They can be, if you put that into them, but then so can almost anything.

4) I am not a teetotaler. I support responsible use of alcohol and oppose alcoholism. Again, that's the historic position of most Protestant denominations before the 19th century Temperance Movement.

5) I support legalization of drugs because I think the laws against them are basically a price support program for organized crime and an excuse for parasitic, exploitive, authoritarian big government (the primary purpose of any bureaucracy is to hire and pay bureaucrats; once that is done, any secondary purpose might also be attempted), the same as Prohibition proved to be. I do not use any or recommend their use.

6) KJVO is the province of cranks and nutjobs, not of any serious, reputable Bible scholars.

7) I think we have the Five Fundamentals in common, though my definition of inerrancy is no doubt much more liberal than than yours. And probably the substance of the Nicene Creed too, whether or not you believe in using creeds.

Now let me tell you how Chick Tracts have origins in Pagan practices....

That was a gift to Ransom.  You're welcome. 

Izdaari said:
Well, obviously we're going to differ on all those points. You are (apparently) IFBx and I'm Anglo-Catholic Episcopalutheran (TEC & ELCA). I'm not sure there's even enough common ground for a productive discussion on them.

It took you this long to figure this out??

Izdaari said:

No, just your plain old run-of-the-mill Independent Baptist.  No need for the -x meaning "extreme" as originally used by The G-Man.

Productive discussion?  Prolly not, but it does give one pause to observe what things you are supporting.  If you would like a productive discussion, perhaps we could start by determining what soteriological position does an Anglo-Catholic Episcopalutheran (TEC & ELCA) believe? 

Meanwhile, Chick tracts are some of the very best out there for witnessing the traditional Baptist view of salvation.

PappaBear said:
Meanwhile, Chick tracts are some of the very best out there for witnessing the traditional Baptist view of salvation.

Can anyone be saved via a traditional other-denomination view of salvation?  Or only Baptist? 

rsc2a said:
Oh, I have some favorites. I definitely would not recommend giving them out other than to a few of my friends.  :D

I recommend the following videos when giving a Chick, even to your friends.
Wouldn't want to give someone the wrong idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPsMcMP1M3Y&list=PL7B7EE8EA7296B0D6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-AhaJ4sPUc&list=PL7B7EE8EA7296B0D6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGKbed-zkaI&list=PL7B7EE8EA7296B0D6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fwcgYfhHzM&list=PL7B7EE8EA7296B0D6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKjDH6nLoR0&list=PL7B7EE8EA7296B0D6

Well those are an antidote to a Chick.

PappaBear said:
Izdaari said:
Productive discussion?  Prolly not, but it does give one pause to observe what things you are supporting.  If you would like a productive discussion, perhaps we could start by determining what soteriological position does an Anglo-Catholic Episcopalutheran (TEC & ELCA) believe? 

Probably (at least in my case, since much individual latitude is allowed) not much different than the typical confessional Lutheran or 4-point (no L) Calvinist. Monergistic with single predestination. Sola gratia, sola fide, etc.

And, like many of the early church fathers, I hope for Universal Reconciliation, but do not teach it as doctrine.

Castor Muscular said:
PappaBear said:

Can anyone be saved via a traditional other-denomination view of salvation?  Or only Baptist?

Didn't someone say " I am the way, the truth and the life,...."? or was it, "Baptist are the way, the truth.."?

Don't remember..... ???

Recovering IFB said:
Castor Muscular said:
PappaBear said:

Didn't someone say " I am the way, the truth and the life,...."? or was it, "Baptist are the way, the truth.."?

Don't remember..... ???

Don't think there were any Baptists durring NT times.

For sure there weren't any IFB or IFBx types.

Even John the Baptist wasn't a real IFB, he had very long hair and lived in the wilderness. Most IFBs would look on him with a jaundiced eye and wonder what that filthy hippy was doing out in public, and how they could get him out of their church buildings without making a scene or getting the church into a lawsuit.

For sure they would look down on him and say to themselves, I'm glad God has delivered me from being a man like that.

Hypocrites. Whited sepulchres.

tumblr_mrp8ngtcqm1s59098o1_500.jpg

Absolutely. Some of my favorites are: This Was Your Life, It's A Deal, and The Choice.

The Choice is just about ideal for any situation. And so is This was your Life. Now if you like playing Basket Ball like I do, then you definitely should keep a lot of the It's A Deal tracts with you. :)
As they are great to hand out after the basket ball game.

I've only seen a few Chick Tracts, and I didn't like them.  They read to me like comical exaggerations... like a story about a woman who wears pants one time and that leads to her becoming a prostitute, getting addicted to heroin, getting mutilated by a john and dying in the street.