EPIC FAILS:

Binaca Chugger said:
I was on staff at a larger IFB church.  We were promoting a church-wide day of soulwinning for three months.  Every ministry had every worker there.  Groups were fasting and holding special prayer meetings for this day.  The goal was for new soulwinners to see people trust Christ.  they would get excited about it and learn how to share the Gospel.  People took off work to be there that day.  Many staff put in lots of hours in teaching and preparing for this day.  We were supposed to meet at the church in the morning for a challenge to the workers, songs and prayer, then meet back that night for a celebratory testimony time and dinner.

Morning of the event.  The youth leader gets up to start the service and announces that the pastor and his family decided to stay at a church where he had been preaching that week because they really need the time off.  "You know, pastor works so hard that he really needs some rest when he can get the opportunity.  They were enjoying their time out of town and we thought they should be able to just have some time off.  You folks have a great day out soulwinning!"  And that was it.

Walking out, I heard several church members comment that if the preacher wasn't going out, neither would they.  Two families were talking about "This is the last time I plan to spend a Saturday doing church stuff."

Epic fail.

Many staff/pastors seem to forget that lay people are volunteers, THEY get paid for what lay people volunteer for... I would have been highly ticked. 

I also would have walked up the the guy that gave the announcement and told him that I was tired too, and that I was going home. 

Binaca Chugger said:
Morning of the event.  The youth leader gets up to start the service and announces that the pastor and his family decided to stay at a church where he had been preaching that week because they really need the time off.  "You know, pastor works so hard that he really needs some rest when he can get the opportunity.  They were enjoying their time out of town and we thought they should be able to just have some time off.  You folks have a great day out soulwinning!"  And that was it.

Epic fail.
Not a same incident, but.........................
Vietnam flashback time. What's my therapist's number?

Binaca Chugger said:
I was on staff at a larger IFB church.  We were promoting a church-wide day of soulwinning for three months.  Every ministry had every worker there.  Groups were fasting and holding special prayer meetings for this day.  The goal was for new soulwinners to see people trust Christ.  they would get excited about it and learn how to share the Gospel.  People took off work to be there that day.  Many staff put in lots of hours in teaching and preparing for this day.  We were supposed to meet at the church in the morning for a challenge to the workers, songs and prayer, then meet back that night for a celebratory testimony time and dinner.

Walking out, I heard several church members comment that if the preacher wasn't going out, neither would they.  Two families were talking about "This is the last time I plan to spend a Saturday doing church stuff."

Epic fail.

The thing about a story like this is that one day all these saints will be in Heaven and stand at the Judgment Seat of Christ. What do you think will happen? What will Jesus do and say?

How about this. All the people who went soul winning will be rewarded. Those who didn't won't.

In Heaven we're going to find out who the real servants of Christ are.

While at HAC....JH was was doing the Pentecost Sunday & wanted to take SS to Chicago bus route areas. He was giving some big prize to leaders of HAcker students & announcing the NUMBERS at the PM service.

Yes, the group I was in went to a rough area & gave away candy to in several parks to all the kids. We handed out the candy to them one by one & then had a drawing for (as I remember.....) part of a roasted hog. The preaching was done off the back of a flatbed truck.

We had some extra time so they decided to find a vacant lot in a busy area & hold 1 last outdoor preaching "service". They found a gravel parking lot. A bunch of HACker bus workers from another division saw us & stopped to "help-out". When it was time to pass out the candy the other bus workers stated throwing the candy by the handfuls out into the crowd of scores of people. There wasn't enough for everyone so the crowd got mad & STONED the people on the flatbed truck. The rest of us ran for the hills & got out of Dodge, pronto.

Fail........except that miraculously our leader claimed the big prize for having sooooooooooooo many in "Sunday School".

2nd year out of HAC & a bus pastor early 80's.....I got the idea to have a giant Easter egg hunt. I asked all the ladies of the church who could to real colored Easter. Hyped it up on the routes & thought it was a success until the next Sunday morning.......

Kids on every bus had stuffed those real boiled eggs down in the seats on the bus.............talk about stinkin, those were some stinkin buses.

I absolutely love the 'epic fails' thread! Took me a long time to realize it but there can be no epic fails without some epic tries!

fishinnut said:
2nd year out of HAC & a bus pastor early 80's.....I got the idea to have a giant Easter egg hunt. I asked all the ladies of the church who could to real colored Easter. Hyped it up on the routes & thought it was a success until the next Sunday morning.......

Kids on every bus had stuffed those real boiled eggs down in the seats on the bus.............talk about stinkin, those were some stinkin buses.
That's the stuff we are looking for!

BALAAM said:
I absolutely love the 'epic fails' thread! Took me a long time to realize it but there can be no epic fails without some epic tries!

Exactly right.  This is not intended to be a thread of bashing, though some will occur.  It is intended as a lesson of what to do, by learning what not to do.

Binaca Chugger said:
Morning of the event.  The youth leader gets up to start the service and announces that the pastor and his family decided to stay at a church where he had been preaching that week because they really need the time off.

Translation:  Pastor got a huge love offering from that church so they decided to go out and party.

Out soulwinning, I knocked on a door.  A female voice said: "Come in!"  So, we did.  She was obviously waiting for another man to come home, not a couple of church folk to talk about eternity.  I screamed, she screamed.  I closed the door and hollered an apology while she was asking who we were and why we were there.  I just hollered back through the door our apology and we were in the neighborhood inviting people to church.

From then on.....I always announced who I was and why I was there before opening a door.

We had a "projects day" one year late November/early December. So it worked so well on our regular bus routes we promoted Goldfish. Just to make sure no one dropped the ball the fish were picked up on Saturday. The fish were kept over night in the bus garage,... Did I mention late November/early December? Temps got really cold overnight. We had the kids and the service only to be told that all of all Goldfish were sleeping.

Quick thinking had us pick up a bunch of Candy Canes to be passed out by a worker dressed as Santa. Epic fail, Epic recovery.

Binaca Chugger said:
Out soulwinning, I knocked on a door.  A female voice said: "Come in!"  So, we did.  She was obviously waiting for another man to come home, not a couple of church folk to talk about eternity.  I screamed, she screamed. 

I get the implication that she was naked.

I had that happen once when I stopped by to pick up a boy for church.  It was a mobile home with a large sliding glass door as the front door.  I knocked and waited.  Then knocked again.  When I looked into the home the mom came strutting through the room stark naked totally oblivious that anyone was standing at the door.  It was embarrassing and humorous at the same time. 

Tennessean said:
Binaca Chugger said:

Epic fail.

The thing about a story like this is that one day all these saints will be in Heaven and stand at the Judgment Seat of Christ. What do you think will happen? What will Jesus do and say?

How about this. All the people who went soul winning will be rewarded. Those who didn't won't.

In Heaven we're going to find out who the real servants of Christ are.

And the pastor will be in bigger trouble. You know being worthy of double (dis)honor and all that.

IFB X-Files said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Out soulwinning, I knocked on a door.  A female voice said: "Come in!"  So, we did.  She was obviously waiting for another man to come home, not a couple of church folk to talk about eternity.  I screamed, she screamed. 

I get the implication that she was naked.

I had that happen once when I stopped by to pick up a boy for church.  It was a mobile home with a large sliding glass door as the front door.  I knocked and waited.  Then knocked again.  When I looked into the home the mom came strutting through the room stark naked totally oblivious that anyone was standing at the door.  It was embarrassing and humorous at the same time.
While in Fishermen's Club at HAC, out S/winning door-to-door, my partner was the next one to knock on the door. The house had a front porch & a large hedge on either side of the sidewalk leading to it. He knocked on the door & a lady in a sheer long lace something, basically in her birthday suit opened the door.

I got knocked down, he jumped the hedge & by the time I got up he had run out to the street. The lady was still standing at the door laughing............we took a break for him to settle down.

Nakedness scares people! Who knew?

I once went soul winning naked.  :)

Just kidding!!

Binaca Chugger said:
Out soulwinning, I knocked on a door.  A female voice said: "Come in!"  So, we did.  She was obviously waiting for another man to come home, not a couple of church folk to talk about eternity.  I screamed, she screamed.  I closed the door and hollered an apology while she was asking who we were and why we were there.  I just hollered back through the door our apology and we were in the neighborhood inviting people to church.

From then on.....I always announced who I was and why I was there before opening a door.

Scarred for life!

Bruh said:
Binaca Chugger said:

Scarred for life!

Chugger or the woman?

I was a young adult, just really getting familiar with the practice of door-to-door evangelism.  I larger fellow invited us into his apartment.  I was so excited - an invitation in is a would to win!  I failed to notice the open beer in his hand and the slurred speech.  I went in, much to my partner's fears.  The guy was drunk as a skunk.  He slammed the door behind us and locked it.  I still didn't realize how much trouble I was in.  The beer cans were piled on the floor next to the sofa.  After several minutes of druknen profanities, he started challenging me to represent my God in a fight and started throwing beer all over me.  Somehow, we got out.

Never go into a drunk guys home.