FBC former pianist

FBC - specifically Jack Hyles - did know about it. I personally know one of his victims. This person went to a deacon who then informed Jack Hyles. Oddly enough, Bob Olsen remained employed as the custodian and, even more despicable, as the Junior High Choir leader.

I am a bit confused. Who is Scot and how does he relate to the Hardys?

Bravo said:
BALAAM said:
Still There said:
Scott was a bad boy.  Very bad boy!  He is divorced.  Couldn't get enough of women - grieving women and was going to conventions and hooking up with other women.  He went to the RU in Illinois for a period of time and now smells like a rose.

Yes. This and he was also quite violent from what I understand. Very bad temper!

Bad temper when it came to his wife, children (maybe?) and small animals. Strangely enough he did not ever express his violent temper with me or any capable male,... That I know of.

Wasn't there some sort of story about him burning a place down?

Norefund said:
FBC - specifically Jack Hyles - did know about it. I personally know one of his victims. This person went to a deacon who then informed Jack Hyles. Oddly enough, Bob Olsen remained employed as the custodian and, even more despicable, as the Junior High Choir leader.

Wait a minute.  He went from custodian to HS teacher to Dyer, right?  Your saying that the crimes took place as the custodian, it was covered and then later he worked with the high school?  Later on, he went to Dyer but it was in the past so nothing was said?

This is confusing to me.  Bob Olsen was a very well respected teacher at the high school.  I know many people who would claim he was the one person who helped them the most through high school.  He did not give up on students and encouraged them greatly.

The victim I know was molested while Bob Olsen was a custodian at the church in the early 70's. he was not a teacher at the time. He was also the junior high choir director at that same time. The events of the molestation were brought to Jack Hyles by a deacon whom the victim knew and trusted. Jack Hyles did nothing as evidenced by the career progression you outlined. At that time, neither the victim or I knew the term "molestation" or really the implications of what had happened.

Binaca Chugger said:
Norefund said:

Wait a minute.  He went from custodian to HS teacher to Dyer, right?  Your saying that the crimes took place as the custodian, it was covered and then later he worked with the high school?  Later on, he went to Dyer but it was in the past so nothing was said?

This is confusing to me.  Bob Olsen was a very well respected teacher at the high school.  I know many people who would claim he was the one person who helped them the most through high school.  He did not give up on students and encouraged them greatly.

kaba said:
There is a new scandel on DRHAC, if you attended HAC in the late 70's and early 80's, you will remember Katy Hardy and her husband Max Hardy. Wondering how HAC will handle this one.

To be brutally honest I find this one more heart wrenching and harder to believe than the Schaap mess last year. I'm not saying I doubt the account but it hits closer to the heart I guess. :-(

Is the Dr. _____ in the story a graduate of the University of Tennessee?

bgwilkinson said:

That is what is being alleged

Bravo said:
bgwilkinson said:

That is what is being alleged

This one completely takes me by surprise. I've known him and his family since he arrived from TN.

I have not observed or heard from anyone that has observed anything that would hint at this, unlike JH and DH where there exists a mountain of witnesses and observations.

I'll wait to see if anyone else comes forward, nothing surprises me now.

kaba said:
There is a new scandel on DRHAC, if you attended HAC in the late 70's and early 80's, you will remember Katy Hardy and her husband Max Hardy. Wondering how HAC will handle this one.

Umm....  What is DRHAC?

Binaca Chugger said:
kaba said:

Umm....  What is DRHAC?

Do Right Hyles Anderson, now it's a closed group on FB

Bravo said:
Binaca Chugger said:
kaba said:

Umm....  What is DRHAC?

Do Right Hyles Anderson, now it's a closed group on FB

So, anyone care to summarize the story here?  Maybe in a new thread?

Bravo said:
BALAAM said:
Still There said:
Scott was a bad boy.  Very bad boy!  He is divorced.  Couldn't get enough of women - grieving women and was going to conventions and hooking up with other women.  He went to the RU in Illinois for a period of time and now smells like a rose.

Yes. This and he was also quite violent from what I understand. Very bad temper!

Bad temper when it came to his wife, children (maybe?) and small animals. Strangely enough he did not ever express his violent temper with me or any capable male,... That I know of.

Wasn't there some sort of story about him burning a place down?
possibly...like fire bombing the kingdom hall in Bolingbrook?

Anishinabe

kaba said:

I've given this story some thought.

A few things I don't understand,...

She claims she was sexually abused but was not sure it was sexual until she was married and knew those touches were, for lack of a better word, foreplay. What I don't get is how is someone touched but "not sure" it was sexual until she was married? If that touching was that ambiguous then what was the sexual abuse part? I mean if she were touched in certain spots it should be OBVIOUS. If not on those spots then what is the sexual abuse?

If it's true then it should be out there. But why wait 30 years?

These are honest questions. Any thoughts?

Bravo said:
kaba said:

She claims she was sexually abused but was not sure it was sexual until she was married and knew those touches were, for lack of a better word, foreplay. What I don't get is how is someone touched but "not sure" it was sexual until she was married? If that touching was that ambiguous then what was the sexual abuse part? I mean if she were touched in certain spots it should be OBVIOUS. If not on those spots then what is the sexual abuse?

It is definitely a very odd story and on the surface, does not add up.

30 years?

Maybe a balloon payment on the mortgage...

http://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/others-who-wrote-in-support-of-the-rev-hyles/article_7497a946-cc20-5357-bef4-bfa5bd5fc016.html

qwerty said:
Bravo said:
kaba said:

30 years?

Not sure, since I am not a member of DRHAC.  However, there are different levels of sexual abuse, some are much more invasive than others.

Binaca Chugger said:
qwerty said:
Bravo said:
kaba said:

30 years?

Not sure, since I am not a member of DRHAC.  However, there are different levels of sexual abuse, some are much more invasive than others.

Since you aren't a member of DRHAC you aren't sure? You mean you don't know the story? Look her up on Facebook.

Bravo said:
Binaca Chugger said:
qwerty said:
Bravo said:
kaba said:

30 years?

Since you aren't a member of DRHAC you aren't sure? You mean you don't know the story? Look her up on Facebook.
not on FB

Binaca Chugger said:
Bravo said:
Binaca Chugger said:
qwerty said:
Bravo said:
kaba said:

30 years?

not on FB

[flash=600,400]https://app.box.com/embed/mex6gzgu1coy35r.swf[/flash]

For those who may not be familiar with counseling those who are victims of sexual abuse:

There are three stages of abuse:
1. Intimacy and Secrecy - this does not include physical touch, but rather establishes a relationship
2. Physical touch that appears appropriate - hugs last too long, pinches, etc. - these normally generate feelings of question or uneasiness, but do not overcome the established relationship
3. Sexual abuse proper - sexual kissing, contact with "privates" and sexual acts

Many who are currently publishing stories may or may not have experienced stage 3, but may have experienced stage 2.  I could easily see a teenage girl who had gone through previous bad home relationships being uncomfortable with morning back rubs or pats on the bottom to help wake her up - especially from a strange man.  I could also see an older man thinking these actions were just wake-up routines.  Even still, it would qualify as stage 2 abuse.

However, I am more curious about what happened with BO.  That story is rocking my world because he was such a help and was so close to so many of us in high school.  Then I begin to wonder...  Did he overcome his sin and try helping people, or...?  For now, I am choosing to believe the former.

Binaca Chugger said:
However, I am more curious about what happened with BO.  That story is rocking my world because he was such a help and was so close to so many of us in high school.  Then I begin to wonder...  Did he overcome his sin and try helping people, or...?  For now, I am choosing to believe the former.

The reports of victims so far are all from the 70's. I guess it's possible he overcame his sin but, if so, he would be extremely rare. Pedophiles are almost never "cured." It was very difficult for his victims to come forward as this sin also involved homosexual behavior and there would be nothing more humiliating for a junior high boy then to be thought of as homosexual.