FBCH One Year later!

Jrock

Elect
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new here and would like to know if anyone in this forum attends First Baptist Church of Hammond. It's been about 1 year since Jack Schaap's scandal. Can someone give me any updates on how things are going now with their new pastor John Wilkerson?

Have they changed any doctrines or practices? The only thing that I know is that there is no more Pastor's School. Why did they stopped posting their sermons on YouTube since September 2013?

Jrock said:
Hi! I'm new here and would like to know if anyone in this forum attends First Baptist Church of Hammond. It's been about 1 year since Jack Schaap's scandal. Can someone give me any updates on how things are going now with their new pastor John Wilkerson?

Have they changed any doctrines or practices? The only thing that I know is that there is no more Pastor's School. Why did they stopped posting their sermons on YouTube since September 2013?

I do not attend and can not comment on the church. I did, however, go to an hb basketball game and the pep band had drums!  Snare drum, bass drum, and a couple of others and it was exceptionally good. It really adds a lot to the atmosphere at the game. (still no cheerleaders though) Hadn't been to one in a couple of years and drums are something new.

The pep band had drums in the late 90's when I was there.

I don't remember them ever having drums. And I don't remember JH ever raising his voice. And I don't remember js as being anything but humble and unpretentious.  LOL (really loud)

Jrock said:

Attendance at this mornings service had the place about half full on one of the worst weekends for attendance of the entire year. No college students.

Offering reported in the bulletin today as follows.  General $104,868.15  Missions $25,1000.13  Building repairs $4,435.95.  I believe all of these are over budget. Deacons have told me that the building payment is included in the budget and all bills are paid.

BALAAM said:
Jrock said:

I do not attend and can not comment on the church. I did, however, go to an hb basketball game and the pep band had drums!  Snare drum, bass drum, and a couple of others and it was exceptionally good. It really adds a lot to the atmosphere at the game. (still no cheerleaders though) Hadn't been to one in a couple of years and drums are something new.

They did away with drums my junior year (1983) when in the pep band, our drummer "really brought it" and the drums got banned at that point.

Smellin Coffee said:
BALAAM said:
Jrock said:

They did away with drums my junior year (1983) when in the pep band, our drummer "really brought it" and the drums got banned at that point.

I thought so...because I sure do not remember any kind of band for sports events when I was there. 

Smellin Coffee said:
BALAAM said:
Jrock said:

Wasnt that when the 'doctrine'of over powering rhythm sections was being 'taught'?  What year did Frank Garlock come 'teach' at the schools?
I remember thinking, "What's wrong with Yankee Doodle?"

Anishinaabe

I do attend and to say the least it was rocky, but we're getting there financially.  We love our new pastor and his family.  They're a very sweet family who have adjusted to our church family.  JS can take a very long leap off a very tall building for what he did.  What he did was just plain evil and honestly a lot of people were hurt by what he did.  No more pastor's school.  It's time to rebuild our own church.  Let someone else do it.  We need to regather ourselves and let our Pastor do the pastoring of his own church.  THANKS for asking. 

I have heard much the same response from family who is still at FBCH.  The church loves the new pastor.  Only certain ministries are still trying to influence the world.  most are just going on with their daily routine.  FBCH is its own world and the people in it are very happy to be in it.  They are happy to be continuing in the same routine to which they are accustomed.

Still, many problems are not publicly addressed (EL and others).  Who knows, maybe they were addressed privately, though, from conversations I have had, I would be surprised.  I sometimes liken the residents of FBCH to the Truman Show - Its own little make-believe world of perfection that is absolutely controlled by a powerful certain group of insiders who are pulling the strings.

Binaca Chugger said:
I have heard much the same response from family who is still at FBCH.  The church loves the new pastor.  Only certain ministries are still trying to influence the world.  most are just going on with their daily routine.  FBCH is its own world and the people in it are very happy to be in it.  They are happy to be continuing in the same routine to which they are accustomed.

Still, many problems are not publicly addressed (EL and others).  Who knows, maybe they were addressed privately, though, from conversations I have had, I would be surprised.  I sometimes liken the residents of FBCH to the Truman Show - Its own little make-believe world of perfection that is absolutely controlled by a powerful certain group of insiders who are pulling the strings.

the-village-dvd.jpg

Smellin Coffee said:
Binaca Chugger said:

the-village-dvd.jpg

The Truman Show! Now that's good!

It's kind of sad in a way, because I graduated from TTU in 1983. I went back there two years ago in April. The old dorm I lived in was all boarded up. Recently, I heard that the city has allowed them to put walls around the block of property to keep people out. .... I guess the empty buildings get a lot of homeless people and drug addicts using the place at night for a place to crash. To bad they were only concerned about the numbers they pushed out of their schools and not enough about the individuals who where there.

That's really sad about TTU.  That was a good school in it's hey day.  I never attended, but always heard good things from that school.  There are so many little christian colleges popping up all over America that the big schools like TTU, BJU and others are really taking a hit in enrollment and money.

Baptist City Holdout said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Binaca Chugger said:

the-village-dvd.jpg

Breaking through the set screen is horribly painful.  I know, because I have done it.  When you leave the set-world, everything isn't perfect and wonderful and just right.  Realizing most of your life has been a sham - All of your former friends and family are forsaken - it really is quite tramatic.

Sometimes, I still wonder if I would have been better off living in the blindness of delusion.  If you did not grow up there, you can only imagine.  Even you HACkers that came from afar and spent a few years, or you older generations who remember the pre-Hyles-dominance era had something of normality to reference.

Binaca Chugger said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Binaca Chugger said:

the-village-dvd.jpg

Breaking through the set screen is horribly painful.  I know, because I have done it.  When you leave the set-world, everything isn't perfect and wonderful and just right.  Realizing most of your life has been a sham - All of your former friends and family are forsaken - it really is quite tramatic.

Sometimes, I still wonder if I would have been better off living in the blindness of delusion.  If you did not grow up there, you can only imagine.  Even you HACkers that came from afar and spent a few years, or you older generations who remember the pre-Hyles-dominance era had something of normality to reference.

Wow, there's nothing left to do but go out and end it all.  :'(

16KJV11 said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Binaca Chugger said:

the-village-dvd.jpg

Never thought about it like Binaca just explained it. My type of IFB upbringing paled in comparison to the Performance Based Standard at FBCH. It wasn't right out said, because we were to respect and :eek: be loyal to our home pastor, but by the Hammond standards he was a slacker. I realize now I had a realistic upbringing. It is easy to say the Bible and Christ are my foundation, but to have all of earthly instruction pulled out from under you............ uggh or ever how you spell it.

16KJV11 said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Binaca Chugger said:

the-village-dvd.jpg

I did.  I ended all of my Performance Based Christianity.  I ended all of my worship of the High Priest.  I ended my job that was in that world.  I ended the generational stronghold that this false form of Christianity held on my family.

I am bringing up my children in a conservative, independent Baptist church that holds to the fundamentals of the faith, but seeks to help individuals understand Relationship Based Christianity and counsels people to develop a closer relationship with Christ while growing in personal sanctification. 

The point of my post was that many who are in such a place as Hammond, do not wish to have the delusion end - even when they are forced to face the understanding that their world is a delusion.  They come to the screen door on the other side of the lake, recognize their world is a delusion, then choose to sail back to happy land.  This is why so many FBCH members recognized the errors in the church when JS fell, but have resorted right back to life as it always was.  It is just easier than growth.

16KJV11 said:
Binaca Chugger said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Binaca Chugger said:

the-village-dvd.jpg

Sadly which some have attempted and a couple even succeeded.

I grew up in FBC.  Like Bro. Hyles used to preach - you can't take everything he says to heart.  He used to say life is like a pie, you take the slice which pertains to you and your family.  You have to do that in life, you take the slice of what you believe in the church, your home life, your work life, what you believe in.  There are still people in FBC that try to take the whole pie and they fail.  I have a friend that is still there and they have failed their children miserably because they tried to rear them on the whole pie.  Maybe that sounds a little corny, but you can't raise your kids to whatever they say.  It's not right for everyone.  You have beliefs of your own.  I do take that to heart.  I don't believe everything that is preached and never did.  My life and the life of my children is not solely raised around the church.  I work in the public and have for 30 plus years.  You have to learn to work around the people and to make yourself successful you have to be a part of the non- christian realm.  I'm not part of the drinking and partying, but I do plan the parties, but they do know I'm a christian and they do know what church I belong to.  I'm a successful business person and I'm proud of what I've accomplished.  Yes, I attended HAC and yes, I graduated from HB.  My resume shows both schools.