FBCH One Year later!

Speaking of Performance-Based Christianity, Ray Young delivered a doozy yesterday in which he shamelessly mangled and manipulated the Scriptures to make them fit his sermon. What a 'nice' surprise to show up and find we'd have to be listening to him yesterday a.m...

brainisengaged said:
Speaking of Performance-Based Christianity, Ray Young delivered a doozy yesterday in which he shamelessly mangled and manipulated the Scriptures to make them fit his sermon. What a 'nice' surprise to show up and find we'd have to be listening to him yesterday a.m...

They did not announce who was speaking in advance?

Guess they were concerned people wouldn't show up of they knew?

brainisengaged said:

hehehehehe....

Ray Young "preaching"...............

Thanks for making me chuckle today.  :p

When Pastor Wilkerson first started, he would announce in advance if he was going to be absent. Now he no longer does that. Hmmm...

Honestly, I don't know which is worse: having to hear that 'message' yesterday, or later logging on to Facebook and reading the chorus of minions declaring how amazing the message was...really makes me discouraged.

What I notice is that little by little, new people are being brought on to the staff. What they seem to have in common is that they are not from here but they did go through here. So they do have quite a different perception of things here, different from those of us who grew up here or have been here long term.

There is a new teacher of the adult SS class I attend. A friend of Pastor Wilkerson's, brought here to be on staff. He went through HAC. I feel like I am in some sort of strange time warp. Every other sentence contains homage to Bro. Hyles, Mrs. Hyles, Joe Boyd...I find that so very odd. And unsettling. I no longer idolize those people in any way and don't care to build the idols up again.

But that seems to be the tenor struck by the new staff.

brainisengaged said:

I just happened to hear Jim Binney's radio program today on the key. He was talking about this very thing and about the fallacy of so many ifb colleges doling out honorary doctorates. He was talking about Mary and he said, "Mary was not chosen because she was special; She was special because she was chosen."

Wonder how much longer they will allow him to be on. That kind of strikes at the very heart of what they are all about.

Sad to hear brainisengaged. I am happy to be out of the man worship type of church!

kaba said:
Sad to hear brainisengaged. I am happy to be out of the man worship type of church!

Kaba, are you by any chance a packers fan??

YES!!!! Did not get to see the game yesterday, went to church...but sure was happy about the outcome! How about you ??? :)

kaba said:
YES!!!! Did not get to see the game yesterday, went to church...but sure was happy about the outcome! How about you ??? :)

Pleased big time! But, it could have gone either way. And I am not too sure that GB or Chicago would be able to hang with San Francisco. So, I will enjoy it for one week at least. (I am sure that John Mark is happy also)

brainisengaged said:
When Pastor Wilkerson first started, he would announce in advance if he was going to be absent. Now he no longer does that. Hmmm...

Honestly, I don't know which is worse: having to hear that 'message' yesterday, or later logging on to Facebook and reading the chorus of minions declaring how amazing the message was...really makes me discouraged.

What I notice is that little by little, new people are being brought on to the staff. What they seem to have in common is that they are not from here but they did go through here. So they do have quite a different perception of things here, different from those of us who grew up here or have been here long term.

There is a new teacher of the adult SS class I attend. A friend of Pastor Wilkerson's, brought here to be on staff. He went through HAC. I feel like I am in some sort of strange time warp. Every other sentence contains homage to Bro. Hyles, Mrs. Hyles, Joe Boyd...I find that so very odd. And unsettling. I no longer idolize those people in any way and don't care to build the idols up again.

But that seems to be the tenor struck by the new staff.

Interesting.

Hiring his own fan club?

Does this produce a renewal of the old spirit, or replace the old with a new?  these are people indoctrinated with the old Hyles mentality, but were not present to hurt through the destruction of the result.

Yes, there is a sentimentality, among older Hyles people, that taking things back to 1980, or so, would be akin to revival.

Anishinaabe

Werll folks, we all have noticed that the postings and traffic have been down on the FFF, but this thread seems to have breathed new air into the joint! Happy New Year!

Definitely would not accuse Pastor Wilkerson of hiring his own fan club. He really is not the sort. But hiring like-minded persons would describe it. They passed through here in the glory days. They never knew anything else. That mentality stuck with them and is still how they see things. It is their bubble, if you will. BTW, the Truman show analogy was spot-on.

BALAAM said:
kaba said:

Pleased big time! But, it could have gone either way. And I am not too sure that GB or Chicago would be able to hang with San Francisco. So, I will enjoy it for one week at least. (I am sure that John Mark is happy also)

Maybe not because of the packers/bears but because Kentucky beat Louisville!!!!

kaba said:
BALAAM said:
kaba said:

The win we Wildcat fans care about most! 

Maybe not because of the packers/bears but because Kentucky beat Louisville!!!!

brainisengaged said:

Hmmmm, I was given a heads up on this. I did not go to the service yesterday morning. Part of it for me is if you can't say hello to the people in the hallways as you pass by at church each week, why in the world do you think I would hear your preach?

I guess I will say this much as a small take on things. For some it is almost as if nothing has changed. The sycophants have adjusted well. For some others it seems a strange thing has happened. I have noticed a decent group that will attend their respective SS class, either as a member, worker or teacher and then leave after that. What do you say about people who work hard and serve in their ministries but leave afterward? It may be a unique thing because of the size of FBC. They have no ill will towards the Wilkerson's but conversely do not feel connected to them either. It really is an unusual thing.

Bravo said:
I guess I will say this much as a small take on things. For some it is almost as if nothing has changed. The sycophants have adjusted well. For some others it seems a strange thing has happened. I have noticed a decent group that will attend their respective SS class, either as a member, worker or teacher and then leave after that. What do you say about people who work hard and serve in their ministries but leave afterward? It may be a unique thing because of the size of FBC. They have no ill will towards the Wilkerson's but conversely do not feel connected to them either. It really is an unusual thing.

Really not as unusual as you might think.  I have family who have been long members in a church - teach adult SS, deacon - the whole 9 yards.  The church started going to CCM and modern worship style.  They don't enjoy the production that the service has become, but enjoy the fellowship and discipleship within their class.  So, they go to SS, serve, etc, but go home before the service.

FBCH service is a production intended for the people to enjoy or be impressed by.  It is not personal discipleship and growth.  Hence, people are disconnected and don't bother with the production, but do enjoy serving and growing with other Christians.

Binaca Chugger said:
Bravo said:

Really not as unusual as you might think.  I have family who have been long members in a church - teach adult SS, deacon - the whole 9 yards.  The church started going to CCM and modern worship style.  They don't enjoy the production that the service has become, but enjoy the fellowship and discipleship within their class.  So, they go to SS, serve, etc, but go home before the service.

FBCH service is a production intended for the people to enjoy or be impressed by.  It is not personal discipleship and growth.  Hence, people are disconnected and don't bother with the production, but do enjoy serving and growing with other Christians.
As usual, your analysis is very accurate.  Go for church, skip the show after.

Anishinaabe