FBCH One Year later!

brainisengaged said:
When Pastor Wilkerson first started, he would announce in advance if he was going to be absent. Now he no longer does that. Hmmm...

I'll bet when he is out sick he doesn't have EL make the announcement as such from the pulpit.

Our former pastor Bro. Hyles was almost never absent on a Sunday. When he was you knew he was very sick.

Our new pastor regularly takes Sundays and Wednesdays off, and takes his family with him.

We knew this before we called him to be our pastor.

This was music to our ears for we knew, "(For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)".

He had stated that It was required if he was to properly raise his family.

We did not want him repeating the mistakes of the last two pastors. We will be digging out from under them for many years to come.

Hind sight is 20 20.

bgwilkinson said:
Our new pastor regularly takes Sundays and Wednesdays off, and takes his family with him.

Do you know what they do when they miss church?  Is he preaching somewhere else?  Fishing?  Watching football?

I have to admit that really sounds odd to me.  Can you imagine if you told your boss you need Tuesday and Friday off (with pay) to raise your family?

I think the way bgwilkinson worded his post was a little misleading. During the Bro. Hyles era, the standard was that it would be shocking were Bro. Hyles to ever not be there on Sunday or Wednesday. Vacations were frowned upon, family time was deemed nowhere near so important as doggedly regular church attendance. During the JS era, the approach was modernized. We realized the great strain it put on our Preacher to be the most important man in the world  running the most important and largest ministry in the world...so we wanted him to please, for the sake of the fate of the entire world, please take some time off. Take vacations, expensive ones! We urged it and understood his need for it.

Pastor Wilkerson had some speaking engagements preplanned when he accepted the pastorate here. He had his father-in-law pass away. He had a modest vacation in the summer, and he missed one Sunday over Christmas to go on a trip with his family. Of course he attends church while away, and the absences are something he finds healthy - giving us chances to hear various speakers and giving him an occasional extra bit of family time.

Of course when the various speakers are EL or RY I make it a point to be somewhere else.

Bravo said:
Of course when the various speakers are EL or RY I make it a point to be somewhere else.

I listened to RY's sermon. To me, after being distant from fbc for a while, it is quite disturbing but is typical fare. One sentence seems to be, "You can be sure you are going to heaven and it is a free gift that you can't earn." The very next sentence seems to be, "Now you owe a debt and you need to get busy trying to pay off your debt."

BALAAM said:
Bravo said:

I listened to RY's sermon. To me, after being distant from fbc for a while, it is quite disturbing but is typical fare. One sentence seems to be, "You can be sure you are going to heaven and it is a free gift that you can't earn." The very next sentence seems to be, "Now you owe a debt and you need to get busy trying to pay off your debt."

Yes it was very disappointing to hear this doctrine of works salvation.

bgwilkinson said:
BALAAM said:
Bravo said:

Yes it was very disappointing to hear this doctrine of works salvation.
Company CFO, givin a pep talk. 
"Get out there and tear it up this year, and bring in $."

Guilt you into feeling good about fixing problems that he caused.

Par for the Wright's Barnyard mini-golf course.

Anishinabe

And yes, I likewise COMPLETELY agree that those typically asked to fill the pulpit in the absence of the pastor are not worth hearing.

:eek:
brainisengaged said:
And yes, I likewise COMPLETELY agree that those typically asked to fill the pulpit in the absence of the pastor are not worth hearing.

In-house substitutes are less expensive (as in "free" since already on the payroll) than out-of-town guest speakers. 

Just a thought in these times of budget crunching. 

Our Pastor is on vacation this week, Sunday morning was a missionary that we use to support, but no longer because they are self supporting, Sunday Night was Bruce Fry and Wed (did not go) was a Crown preacher boy, all were paid, fed and housed! Glad our Pastor is able to take vacations, he should be allowed just as I take vacations!

kaba said:
Our Pastor is on vacation this week, Sunday morning was a missionary that we use to support, but no longer because they are self supporting, Sunday Night was Bruce Fry and Wed (did not go) was a Crown preacher boy, all were paid, fed and housed! Glad our Pastor is able to take vacations, he should be allowed just as I take vacations!

I love hearing Bruce Fry preach and sing! He has such a humble approach.

Boomer said:
kaba said:

I love hearing Bruce Fry preach and sing! He has such a humble approach.
[/quote

Love his voice, did not mind he went over 30 minutes. His message really touched my heart, and has caused me to do a lot of soul searching! Enjoyed his message so much!!

brainisengaged said:
I think the way bgwilkinson worded his post was a little misleading. During the Bro. Hyles era, the standard was that it would be shocking were Bro. Hyles to ever not be there on Sunday or Wednesday. Vacations were frowned upon, family time was deemed nowhere near so important as doggedly regular church attendance. During the JS era, the approach was modernized. We realized the great strain it put on our Preacher to be the most important man in the world  running the most important and largest ministry in the world...so we wanted him to please, for the sake of the fate of the entire world, please take some time off. Take vacations, expensive ones! We urged it and understood his need for it.

During my time at FBC from the late 60's to the early 90's, JH never missed a Sunday or Wednesday nor would he ask others to preach on Sundays or Wednesdays.  If you didn't attend Pastor's School, you'd never hear anyone in the pulpit but JH.  I vaguely remember RG Lee and Lester Rolloff and that's about it ever standing behind the pulpit for a regular service.  JH took no vacations and was never sick.  The same could be said about the Colsten's---always there no matter what.  It's refreshing to see change slowly coming to Hammond, but it's sad that some of the dead weight still need to be removed.