FBCH Statement of Child Protection Policy

TidesofTruth

Elect
Reaction score
The First Baptist Church seeks to express God?s love of children and provide for their personal wholeness.  This caring community seeks to prevent child abuse of any form to our children and youth and to minister to victims of abuse and their families.  The Bible is foundational to our understanding upon which all policies, procedures, and ministries must stand.

And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them.  But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.  Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.  And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them.  Mark 10:13-16

And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.  But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.  Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!  Matthew 18:5-7

Our goal in response to these biblical mandates is to maintain a safe, secure, and loving place where children may grow: a place where caregivers, teachers, and leaders (both paid and volunteer) minister appropriately to their needs.

The First Baptist Church DESIRES TO BE A SAFE PLACE FOR ALL CHILDREN AND ADULTS WHO ATTEND ANY ACTIVITY.  Individuals they know and trust sometimes victimize children.  The church is not immune to such abuse, either by its members or by those in leadership positions.  Incidents of child abuse or neglect cut across racial, social, economic, and religious boundaries.  Although no organization or individual can assure complete protection, the Child Abuse Prevention Policies and Procedure Manual reflects the First Baptist Church?s commitment to help to protect children from harm.  The manual applies to all volunteer and compensated workers of the First Baptist Church and all related ministries.

For the safety and protection of our children and workers, all people who participate in ministry-sponsored activities with children are required to comply with the guidelines provided in this manual.  Background checks are conducted on all employees and volunteers working in our ministry.  The following is included in the background check: searches in the National Criminal Database, National Sex Offender Registry, and OFAC exclusion list (Office of Foreign Assets Control).  Also included is a SSN trace and a name and address history trace.  The current service provider for background checks is Protect My Ministry.

We vehemently condemn any actions of abuse or misconduct directed toward any man, woman, or child.  We stand in support of victims and desire for justice to be served.

We are committed to take every accusation of abuse seriously and to handle each situation swiftly and appropriately according to the law.

We are committed to not tolerate any abusive behavior amongst our students, members, employees, and volunteers, particularly involving children and vulnerable adults.

We are committed to not tolerate the failure of any student, member, employee, or volunteer to report an allegation or suspicion of abuse.

We are committed to provide education to our students, members, employees, and volunteers regarding appropriate codes of conduct specifically when interacting with children and all vulnerable people.  We have an established Child Protection Policy as well as a Whistle Blower Policy to guide in providing safety and protection for every man, woman, and child of First Baptist Church and all related ministries.

We are committed to provide a safe environment for victims to come forward and to connect them with the proper municipal authorities for a thorough investigation.  We encourage anyone who has been victimized to immediately report the incident and to appropriately identify those involved to their local authorities.

First Baptist Church will not tolerate child abuse or neglect.  Our commitment to these policies reflects not only our concern about children?s safety in this society but also our willingness to take steps toward halting child abuse and its detrimental effects.

https://www.fbchammond.com/child-protection-policy/

"We vehemently condemn any actions of abuse or misconduct directed toward any man, woman, or child.  "

No they don't. The Dave Hyles and Vineyard's Gangsters scandals are still in progress under the protection and authority of the church.

We use Protect My Ministry at our church also.  They also provide a training video with quiz that can be offered for all children's workers.  Video covers how to recognize potential abusers and how to prevent a situation that would allow an abuser to act out his sinful intent.

I commend FBCH for taking this step and this stand.

"I commend FBCH for taking this step and this stand."

No.

FBCH does not take this step and this stand.

Faced with increased bad publicity, they responded by condemning these sins, without obeying the Biblical commands to get things right with the people they have wronged. They even failed in their policy of not permitting new scandals while continuing to cover-up the old ones.

Vince Massi said:

No.

Faced with increased bad publicity, they responded by condemning these sins, without obeying the Biblical commands to get things right with the people they have wronged. They even failed in their policy of not permitting new scandals while continuing to cover-up the old ones.

Sorry Vince.  I don't think you are ever going to get Jim Vineyard to travel to your home in Mexico and grovel at your feet to beg forgiveness.  Not sure that Jack Hyles will do that for you either.  Wendell Evans might, maybe...if his health was well enough to travel to you and if he knew who you are or why you are still bitter.  Rest assured though, if they really did wrong you so, they have realized their error by now and are excited to worship God with you.

Binaca Chugger said:
Vince Massi said:

No.

Sorry Vince.  I don't think you are ever going to get Jim Vineyard to travel to your home in Mexico and grovel at your feet to beg forgiveness.  Not sure that Jack Hyles will do that for you either.  Wendell Evans might, maybe...if his health was well enough to travel to you and if he knew who you are or why you are still bitter.  Rest assured though, if they really did wrong you so, they have realized their error by now and are excited to worship God with you.
Vince probably doesn't think that Bro. Hyles or Jim Vineyard are in heaven.

What else do you expect the church to do at this point?  40 years ago bad things happened and it was not handled correctly.  Since then, there have been some other situations.  Some handled well, others not so much.  Jack Hyles had a tendency to support the accused and refused to believe that the accused was actually wrong.  The church really messed up when Jack Schaap was selected as pastor and he was a doozy of a pervert and maybe had some deviant financial principles as well.  But, when proof was found, immediate action was taken to inform the police.  Once again, the church messed up in how they told people about it.  Internally things were a mess. 

Sounds like the new pastor is trying to right the ship and begin to set things in the right order.  Changing a culture takes time.  He seems to be doing a good job.

Binaca Chugger said:
What else do you expect the church to do at this point?

Sounds like the new pastor is trying to right the ship and begin to set things in the right order. 

I expect the church to announce from the pulpit that the accusations they made against the people who objected to the sins of Dave Hyles and Jim Vineyard were false. I expect them to correct falsified records and grades and remove slanders from the transcripts of students who objected to the sins of Vineyard's Gangsters.

The new pastor is continuing the church policy of protecting the Dave Hyles and Vineyard's Gangsters scandals. He had the congregation give Dave Hyles an ovation. Both of these scandals are still in progress under the authority and protection of FBCH.

Binaca Chugger said:
What else do you expect the church to do at this point?  40 years ago bad things happened and it was not handled correctly.  Since then, there have been some other situations.  Some handled well, others not so much.  Jack Hyles had a tendency to support the accused and refused to believe that the accused was actually wrong.  The church really messed up when Jack Schaap was selected as pastor and he was a doozy of a pervert and maybe had some deviant financial principles as well.  But, when proof was found, immediate action was taken to inform the police.  Once again, the church messed up in how they told people about it.  Internally things were a mess. 

Sounds like the new pastor is trying to right the ship and begin to set things in the right order.  Changing a culture takes time.  He seems to be doing a good job.
Until they apologize to Vince for the atrocities committed against him by the infamous "Roadway Gang" and reparations by way of returning his HACsack which contained a moldy peanut butter sandwich and a pickle which inexplicably had the ends bitten off, there shall be no Justice!

qwerty said:
Binaca Chugger said:

Until they apologize to Vince for the atrocities committed against him by the infamous "Roadway Gang" and reparations by way of returning his HACsack which contained a moldy peanut butter sandwich and a pickle which inexplicably had the ends bitten off, there shall be no Justice!
So, Vince can't get over the times that his books were dumped by the cohorts of the Roadway Gang?
Somebody get a medium, bring down Vineyard's spirit and make him apologize!

16KJV11 said:

Wasn't Vineyard more like a 2X Large?

Twisted said:
16KJV11 said:

Wasn't Vineyard more like a 2X Large?
I don't know, I was too petrified to ask!

Jim Vineyard apologize? It's a good thing for me that I have something better.

Jim and I reconciled, and I left his college and church in Oklahoma on good terms, including a recommendation.

qwerty said:
Binaca Chugger said:

Post of the day

I used to defend the sins of HAC and FBCH with the same reasoning that people on this thread are using.

1) The accusations could not be true, because Jack was such a good man.
2) When someone objected to his sins, I reasoned that they did not understand the Godliness of Jack.

However, the church declined from over 40,000 to less than 6,000.

Meanwhile, I was lurking on FFF and other forums, and I was amazed at how much sin had been going on at HAC during and after my time there.

I was bewildered by Jack Schaap.
1) He continued the policy of allowing no new scandals  while protecting current scandals, yet church attendance grew.
2) One year, they had 25,000 baptisms under his leadership.
3) He made statements clearly showing that he was a Ruckmanite, while making clear statements that he was a fundamentalist. I THINK he hoped to unite fundamental and Ruckmanite Baptists by using nothing but the KJV. Ruckmanites correctly saw that Ruckmanism would dwindle away if he did. He was using deceit by assuring both sides that he was one of them.
4) When he was finally caught in major sin, I finally admitted that HAC and FBCH are corrupted by their refusal to repent of the sins of Dave Hyles and Jim Vineyard.

Vince Massi said:

3) He made statements clearly showing that he was a Ruckmanite,

LOL!  Oh, Vince, sometimes you are just sooooo funny!  LOL!

Twisted said:
Vince Massi said:

LOL!  Oh, Vince, sometimes you are just sooooo funny!  LOL!

I wasn't telling a joke, but Thanks anyway. I hope you all had a Merry Christmas (burp) as I did.

I don't think anyone here denies the sins of FBCH, especially in the past.  I don't think anyone here is defending IFB.

I do believe in moving forward.  I understand that there may be no good way for the church today to make up for the sins of the past.  Compare to Southern Seminary who just discovered their founders were slave holders.

Binaca Chugger said:
Vince Massi said:

No.

Bianca Chugger nailed it with that phrase.  It's pretty obvious that you haven't moved on Vince.  Let it go.  For your sake.

Gene, I appreciate the courtesy of your post.

However I'm afraid that I have moved on. I left Jim Vineyard on good terms, am retired in good health to a tropical paradise, am happily married, and am still serving God.

HAC and FBCH have tried to move on by rejecting God's commands to get things right with those they have wronged. They have rejected God's statements that He takes revenge on those who wrong His people. Their decision to ban new scandals while protecting the ones still in progress hasn't worked.  Despite their efforts to move on, HAC and FBCH continue to move from one scandal to the next.