Fear of Change ...

T

Timothy

Do you believe the KJVonly crowd are just a group of people with a fear of change?

A fear that creates panic.

Desperately trying to prove the old should stay ....

I still think it's a mental disorder, or at the very least a desperate desire to believe in something.  But it's misdirected faith.  Our faith as the Body of Christ is in Jesus, not any given translation of the Bible. 

Timothy said:
Do you believe the KJVonly crowd are just a group of people with a fear of change?

Maybe a few but mostly I think they're just good people who really truly believe it's the only true version. 

KJVOs have a fear that their KJVO dogma may be wrong. They are afraid to look at the facts that are easily found. They are not found at KJVO web sites.

ThatGirl said:
Timothy said:

Maybe a few but mostly I think they're just good people who really truly believe it's the only true version.

Yeah, probably just a few are mentally disturbed. ;) 

I really do think it's misdirected faith, though.  It's as if their faith in God hangs on having a perfect translation.  If God allows errors in the Bible, then we don't have a perfect God and God's word that his "word" would be preserved must be wrong.  But that's a classic non-sequitur and a misreading of the text. 

We don't need a perfect Bible.  The Spirit guides us through understanding the word.  That's sufficient.  And it apparently works with versions other than the KJV, otherwise only KJVOs would be saved. 

Their # 1 issue is their desire to find unquiness in their faith. If 99 percent of all people in the world were KJVOist... they would abandon the doctrine.

It's part of your problem Timothy.

I wonder how many through time have been saved without a Bible. Without one to read, hold or study. They learn from people and preachers sharing what they know.

Today we have millions of Bibles all around.

In some ways, KJVonly is a simpler approach.

but ... still .... I wonder how many have been saved, and lived a life for God without ever even holding a Bible.

Makes you wonder .... if God can saved without a Bible, then why does he need any translation?

Timothy said:

I don't think so.
The biggest reason KJVOs don't change is because they don't want to lose faith in God. To a KJVO person there is a progression toward unbelief that begins by questioning whether the KJV is true. If you decide that the KJV has errors then you start looking for a version without errors. Then you realize that all English versions probably contain errors. (at least I don't think there is such a thing as an NIVO or a RSVO, etc.) Then you realize that there is no existing accurate Bible. So maybe we don't have a clue what Christianity is or should be. . .

Well, this is the path I took.

The Rogue Tomato said:
ThatGirl said:
Timothy said:

Yeah, probably just a few are mentally disturbed. ;) 

I really do think it's misdirected faith, though.  It's as if their faith in God hangs on having a perfect translation.  If God allows errors in the Bible, then we don't have a perfect God and God's word that his "word" would be preserved must be wrong.  But that's a classic non-sequitur and a misreading of the text. 

We don't need a perfect Bible.  The Spirit guides us through understanding the word.  That's sufficient.  And it apparently works with versions other than the KJV, otherwise only KJVOs would be saved.

I agree with this.

I choose not to adapt to a new version for several simple reasons.  I believe the KJV to be a correct translation.  If it is correct, why should I read another? 

Binaca Chugger said:
I choose not to adapt to a new version for several simple reasons.  I believe the KJV to be a correct translation.  If it is correct, why should I read another?

Because it might be in a version of the language you can understand?

The Rogue Tomato said:
Binaca Chugger said:

I understand English fairly well, thank you.

I have long been against progressive education which calls for the dumbing down of the standard to meet the level of the student.  I am against such practice, whether the topic be mathematics, history or the English language.  Especially when we approach something of such significance as Scripture, why not help people grow in their ability to understand English, and the Bible, rather than dumbing down the Scripture?

I have long worked with middle school students who show up with various versions.  Interestingly, those using the NIV at home have just as many, or typically more, questions about definitions as those using a KJV.

Binaca Chugger said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Binaca Chugger said:

I have long been against progressive education which calls for the dumbing down of the standard to meet the level of the student.  I am against such practice, whether the topic be mathematics, history or the English language.  Especially when we approach something of such significance as Scripture, why not help people grow in their ability to understand English, and the Bible, rather than dumbing down the Scripture?

I have long worked with middle school students who show up with various versions.  Interestingly, those using the NIV at home have just as many, or typically more, questions about definitions as those using a KJV.

That's why I recommend the NLT or NET, the NIV is really just a slightly updated KJV.

bgwilkinson said:
Binaca Chugger said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Binaca Chugger said:

That's why I recommend the NLT or NET, the NIV is really just a slightly updated KJV.

!!!!!!

NIV is not like unto the KJV at all!  Different manuscripts.  Loose paraphrasing rather than a translation.

Binaca Chugger said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Binaca Chugger said:

O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged. Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels. Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.

This is English?

rsc2a said:
O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged. Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels. Now for a recompence in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.

This is English?

One pill makes you enlarged
And one pill straightens your bowels
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't pronounce all your vowels
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

rsc2a said:
Binaca Chugger said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
Binaca Chugger said:

This is English?

Well it sure ain't binary coding!  ;D

The Rogue Tomato said:
rsc2a said:

This is English?

Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

Alice in Wonderland meets the Matrix?  :p

The Rogue Tomato said:
rsc2a said:

This is English?

Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

I thought it said something about Paul telling the Corinthians about him having a heart attack and the them not caring because they had the trots. And, since they didn't care about Paul's heart attack, he was wishing the same on them.