From Just a Member

TidesofTruth

Elect
Reaction score
As Posted in the Times Comment Section 03/21/2013

I am a Member of the First Baptist Church of Hammond.
I am not an employee.
I am not a deacon.
I hold no official position.

I cannot speak on behalf of the church.

I have been a resident of Lake County for 48 years
I have been a member of First Baptist Church of Hammond for a total of 44 years.

I must apologize to the Northwest Indiana Community for the wickedness that was done by of our former pastor.  I sincerely apologize and ask your forgiveness.  I apologize for the scorn that it brings on the good people of our community.  I apologize for the scorn it brings on our state and any of our leaders.  I apologize for any scorn it brings on the city of Hammond.  I apologize to the other believers and churches throughout the region and the difficulty and confusion that has been wrought on the message of the gospel of Christ through the hypocrisy that has been lived out in front of the public.  And most importantly I apologize to this girl and the family of this girl.  I have children.  I know what I would have done had this happened to my daughter.  I don't advise for your sake to do what I would have done but I know the anger I would have and I do not think I could have controlled myself in the admirable manner in which you have done.

There is not any excuse for sin, ever. I will not make an excuse for it and our church has made a formal statement making it clear that we reject Jack Schaap's excuse for it. There is never any excuse for the heinous wickedness and blasphemies done by our former pastor as reported by the prosecutor.  It is the very opposite of everything we say we believe, teach and train our members and our young to be. Sins are not to be put on a scale against our supposed righteousness in which we are weighed to see if we can avoid the consequences of the wrong we did.  How many homeless does one need to feed in order balance it out if we decide to kill one person we dislike?  The Sentencing Memorandum written by Paul Stracci is the exact opposite of everything I have ever believed and been taught.  The only good we do is credited to Jesus Christ and is His righteousness alone.  Our sins are only forgiven because they were paid for by the blood of Jesus Christ.  And our civil crimes must bear the punishment that the public justice demands.

While there will always be individuals who may fail, the heartbeat of the everyday members of the church is to try to live as Christ would have us live.  We live among you.  We work with you.  We pay our taxes and bills like you and while we believe to be fair and honest in all our dealings.  We believe and teach marital fidelity and sexual purity but there will always be those who may not live up to what they say they believe.  When we fail to live up to what we say we believe again I apologize.    If we ever made you feel like we thought that somehow we were better or more righteous than anyone else, I apologize. 

I appreciate the work of Judge Rudy Lozano and admire the work and honest and diligent response of the prosecutors United States Attorney David Capp and Assistant United States Attorney Jill Koster and their team.  What fine and good public servants these people are.  I believe these people should be praised as public servants meting out judgment for the good of our community and I praise their diligence and help to keep our community safe.  Justice is a Godly act.

I apologize for the letters written on behalf of the defense that I can only believe were made out of a sense of past friendship but not having yet appreciated the full wickedness that was purported and the detail of deviancy that seemed out of character of what we heard from the lips of Jack Schaap.  After further review of the details it makes it abundantly clear the full extent of the wickedness and the construction of a scheme to defraud a girl who was to be protected by those of us who portray ourselves with pure motivations and a desire to provide Godly guidance.

I cannot begin to express the gut wrenching sickness I felt as I read the prosecution report. It is not who I believe we are, what we teach and what we seek to be.  Not because there is anything good within us but because we believe that we are to be people who follow Jesus Christ, claim His name, tell the good news of His saving grace through His shed blood and try to do good work on His behalf. 

I love the people of First Baptist Church of Hammond.  I have been taught how to live a Godly life by many good Teachers and Sunday School Teachers from the time I was very young. I have been taught by many good pastors who have lived Godly lives.  I have been taught to be a good citizen, pay my bills on time, pray for our leaders and public servants and do good works in the community,.  Never were we taught to use God as a ticket to commit sin.  I have admired those who have reached out to the community and worked to help those in need.  I hurt deeply for our people and I hurt deeply for Christ.  I also hurt deeply for anyone who would use this as a reason to shun the God we believe in.  This is not a representation of Who God is nor Who Jesus Christ is and I would beg you to not allow this to cause you to reject Jesus Christ and what He did for all of us that we might be saved from our sin.

I humbly apologize and beg your forgiveness.

Just a member.

You have witting and unwittingly demonstrated the root of the problem that led to the downfall of FBCH.

Wittingly, in the statements that you have made and the content declared in your confessions and keen observations.

Unwittingly in the way you have said it. Certainly, though sincerely, you have clearly illustrated the influence of the leadership of FBCH with your use of the word "I". It is everywhere, used in almost every sentence and leading almost every paragraph. The inward and outward use of "I" is what damned the most powerful of creation before the scripting of the holy writ and still does today. 

Holy Mole said:
You have witting and unwittingly demonstrated the root of the problem that led to the downfall of FBCH.

Wittingly, in the statements that you have made and the content declared in your confessions and keen observations.

Unwittingly in the way you have said it. Certainly, though sincerely, you have clearly illustrated the influence of the leadership of FBCH with your use of the word "I". It is everywhere, used in almost every sentence and leading almost every paragraph. The inward and outward use of "I" is what damned the most powerful of creation before the scripting of the holy writ and still does today.

I Apologize  I could not speak an apology on behalf of the WE.

Tides of Truth, it was a very good letter. It is hoped it had some impact in the community.

Do not worry about someone who doesn't understand that a narrative can be written in the first person, which does not automatically make the author a selfish person.

You expressed yourself very well.

That was precious, and indicative of precisely what is needed at FBCH, IMHO i.e. a corporate self-examination and repentance. I think a wonderful opportunity was lost in the weeks immediately following Jack Schaap's implosion when, instead of turning the people toward fasting/prayer/sorrow, the then leadership turned the church toward lawyers and striving to maintain business as usual. This letter indicates that, in at least one person, the Holy Spirit was working a godly sorrow not to be repented of.

Thank you for posting that.

Holy Mole said:

____ have two words for you: oh, brother...  ::)

I (sorry have to use the word!) believe the letter was well written and shows a very humble, sorrowful person. Written from the heart.

Holy Mole said:

Mole, I honestly do not see in this post anything self serving.

Tom Brennan said:
That was precious, and indicative of precisely what is needed at FBCH, IMHO i.e. a corporate self-examination and repentance. I think a wonderful opportunity was lost in the weeks immediately following Jack Schaap's implosion when, instead of turning the people toward fasting/prayer/sorrow, the then leadership turned the church toward lawyers and striving to maintain business as usual. This letter indicates that, in at least one person, the Holy Spirit was working a godly sorrow not to be repented of.

Thank you for posting that.

Pastor Brennan,

I feel like this is a misrepresentation of what actually transpired.  I was there!  There were multitudes of people fasting and praying... especially for whom the next pastor would be.  The men of the pulpit committee spent and hour a day in prayer, and a day a week in fasting for God's leading. 

Holy Mole said:

A testimony, written in the first person, will include the word "I".

Like this:

Act 26:1
1 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Thou art permitted to speak for thyself. Then Paul stretched forth the hand, and answered for himself:

Act 26:2-7
2 I think myself happy, king Agrippa, because I shall answer for myself this day before thee touching all the things whereof I am accused of the Jews:
3 Especially because I know thee to be expert in all customs and questions which are among the Jews:wherefore I beseech thee to hear me patiently.
4 My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, know all the Jews;
5 Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee.
6 And now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers:
7 Unto which promise our twelve tribes, instantly serving God day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, king Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews.

Act 26:9-10
9 I verily thought with myself, that I ought to do many things contrary to the name of Jesus of Nazareth.
10 Which thing I also did in Jerusalem:and many of the saints did I shut up in prison, having received authority from the chief priests; and when they were put to death, I gave my voice against them.

And , you get the point, unless you are just obtuse.

Anishinaabe

Dave Douglass and his wife graduated from HAC, he was taught to have that attitude! I really, really hope that IFB can start searching for the Lord's approval rather than a man or tradition.

prophet said:

Anishinaabe

Is that opposed to 'acute'?

WESLEY said:
Pastor Brennan,

I feel like this is a misrepresentation of what actually transpired.  I was there!  There were multitudes of people fasting and praying... especially for whom the next pastor would be.  The men of the pulpit committee spent and hour a day in prayer, and a day a week in fasting for God's leading.

Thank you. All I could see from the outside was a seeming desire to make it all disappear, and move forward as if nothing had happened. I'm happy to be wrong.

16KJV11 said:
prophet said:

Anishinaabe

Hey, Bud, what's yer angle here?

Anishinaabe

brainisengaged said:
Wesley, I was there, too. There was never any attempt to corporately address a single issue other than: Let's Move On. We want to be certain God is with us, so let's organize fasting and prayer circles. But never was repentance, corporate culpability, or healing mentioned, discussed, or even broached. We acted as if JS had been the problem, there was no other person to blame in any way (well, except of course the victim who, along with her entire extended family) was banished from the church....

And we are right back to our pastor-worshipping ways. In Pastor Wilkerson's absence last night, Dave Douglass praised the attendees of the Wednesday night service with, "Your Pastor approves of your faithfulness" (not your Saviour) and little insidious signals like that that crop up over and over...

Pastor Tom is correct. We never repented properly as a church.

Without attempting to bash Wesley here, for I appreciate his gentle correction of me, this is perhaps more of what I was aiming at. There are systemic problems at FBCH that aggravate the natural tendency of preachers to be lifted up in pride. Of course, this is my opinion of the whole, and not of any particular individual. In the Bible you see even good people taking a corporate responsibility for corporate sin, and I think that such an opportunity for self-examination, cleansing, and humbling of the entire church before God would have been a wonderfully appropriate direction to take in the days afterward. Maybe even still. No, almost certainly still.

I don't want to seem like I'm sitting in judgment on my brothers and sisters in Christ, for I cannot see hearts. But the IFB movement needs a revival of humility and holiness, and I think it would be very helpful if that was led by what is still the biggest and most influential IFB church in the country.

16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:

Anishinaabe

Hey, Bud, what's yer angle here?

Anishinaabe

Why don't you get to the point?
Am I getting the enth degree, here?

Anishinaabe
Well, it's about time that you got 'straight'.... ;D
Will you line me out?

Anishinaabe