Fundies get hung up on the stupidest things...

ALAYMAN said:
BandGuy said:
Patebald said:
ALAYMAN said:
Patebald said:
You lose any credibility you could have when you lump SBTS in with fundys. 

I have no idea what you're talking about

At 12:50 today you made a post in the thread about electronic Bibles in the pulpit.  Five minutes later than that comment you started this new thread.  Are you saying that there wasn't any connection of your thought from the post you made at 12:50 to the thread you started at 12:55?

In that thread you mentioned "old paths" in conjunction with Trieber.  The essence of your contributions to that thread was that it was much ado about nothing.  The author of the article that started that thread was a SBTS guy, so in effect, you were saying he was a fundy.  You can spin that however you want, but to call the folks of the SBTS "fundys" is to do just what I said, either you are marginalizing people with false labels, or you are a full blown contemporelevant guy now so far left of center that you have lost perspective what conservative evangelicalism really is.

Lol. Layman - hear me very carefully. IT ALL NEEDS TO DIE. Whoever it is that's fighting against the advancement of technology and progressive methodologies within the church needs to just shut up and stop worrying about trivial things. I realize that you like to argue & debate... But subjects like the one you brought up are just plain dumb.

Here's an idea - lets focus on letting everyone know what we are for rather than being known for what we are against. That is all. My last response. Have a good night.

So, are you saying that Fundy = against technology.  Is that the modern day test for a person's fundy card.  If so, then I guess I am not a fundy based on your definition.

It was clear enough from the article that the dude who wrote it also was not against technology, but Pate has his own definition of fundy.

The Gospel Coalition is far from fundy...which goes to Pate's lack of credibility on the subject.

Lol. For there not being very many fundies on this forum - this post sure got a lot of undies tied up in a wad. It's like fish in a barrel.

LAMER said:
At 12:50 today you made a post in the thread about electronic Bibles in the pulpit.

I haven't read the thread you mentioned but I am assuming there is an issue with "electronic Bibles" in the pulpit?  Is this the latest idiotic rule Fundies have created? no ipads in the pulpit?  please tell me I'm wrong. 

rsc2a said:
[quote author=PappaBear]Shows how much he is conflicted and how little he knows.  The "A" in GARBC stands for Association.  The "I" in IFB stands for Independent.  The GARBC has never been IFB.  That they have flamed out pretty much as a whole demonstrates their associational qualities as a denomination.  However, the Independents are some good, some bad, but all independent.

Yup. You have the HAC "independents", the BJU "independents", the PCC "independents", the PBI "independents", the WCBC "independents", the....
[/quote]Please tell me that you know that PCC and BJU aren't B, much less IB.  BJU is def. F.  And 'independence' refers to the body politic specifically, and not to any unstructured association, no matter how influential it may be.

Anishinabe

Tarheel Baptist said:
The Gospel Coalition is far from fundy...which goes to Pate's lack of credibility on the subject.

I seriously didn't know who they were, had to look them up... and now that I have, I recognize a few of the names, like Piper and Driscoll. I gather they're a group of conservative evangelical Calvinist pastors who got together in 2007, supposedly for "promoting the gospel"... but isn't what all pastors do, or should do?  :-\

Patebald said:
Lol. For there not being very many fundies on this forum - this post sure got a lot of undies tied up in a wad. It's like fish in a barrel.

So, was this your typical drive by stupidity, or did you actually want to have a discussion?  If so, would you mind actually responding to my post:

So, are you saying that Fundy = against technology?  Is that the modern day test for a person's fundy card.  If so, then I guess I am not a fundy based on your definition.

For the record, I don't think true fundamentalism is a bad thing.  I know that Bonhoffer found the fundamentalist Churches in America to be far better than the relevant liberal "churches" of Fosdick.  Just saying.  Now, maybe we could get beyond the flame throwing rhetoric, and actually have an honest discussion about what you think fundamentalism is and what, exactly, you find to be wrong with it.

Stephen said:
LAMER said:
At 12:50 today you made a post in the thread about electronic Bibles in the pulpit.

I haven't read the thread you mentioned but I am assuming there is an issue with "electronic Bibles" in the pulpit?  Is this the latest idiotic rule Fundies have created? no ipads in the pulpit?  please tell me I'm wrong.

Nope. You're not wrong. However, it hasn't been labeled as a "rule" that I know of. But give it time & someone is bound to release an eBook making it one.

BandGuy said:
Patebald said:

So, was this your typical drive by stupidity, or did you actually want to have a discussion?  If so, would you mind actually responding to my post:

So, are you saying that Fundy = against technology?  Is that the modern day test for a person's fundy card.  If so, then I guess I am not a fundy based on your definition.

For the record, I don't think true fundamentalism is a bad thing.  I know that Bonhoffer found the fundamentalist Churches in America to be far better than the relevant liberal "churches" of Fosdick.  Just saying.  Now, maybe we could get beyond the flame throwing rhetoric, and actually have an honest discussion about what you think fundamentalism is and what, exactly, you find to be wrong with it.

Investigate & educate yourself on the particular group I'm referring to and from there we can begin our dialogue. You can find them under such labels as:

Fundies
IFBx
Independent Fundamental Baptist Extreme
Indie Fundie

Fundies is a pretty broad term that could be used to characterize many different factions of fundamentalism.  Please clarify and define what you are talking about a bit clearer.  Thanks.

Patebald said:

IF my only choices are fundy and your broad-brushing ill informed 'logic', I'll take fundy every time.

ALAYMAN said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
I agree.
Pappa, even when Dr Bob and I disagree, quite often, I have found him to be a man of Christian character and superior intellect.

I don't know how far you go back on the FFF, but there was a day when there was some Battle Royales, and Dr Bob was often king of the snark, especially towards KJVo folk, and towards non-Cals.  His condescension factor was strong. 

Having said that, I liked the dude, and prayed for his health regularly.  He mellowed quite a bit in the last couple of years on the forum.  Hope he is doing well.

Kind of like ....

. :D

Patebald said:

No person on this thread endorsed a blanket condemnation of technology in the pulpit or the pew, but much like a broadbrushing fundy, you persist in being a tool.  Try some intellectual honesty Pate, or like Petty says, don't come around here no more.

weenies-r-us said:

Is SBTS a bunch of "fundies"?

Tarheel Baptist said:
Patebald said:

IF my only choices are fundy and your broad-brushing ill informed 'logic', I'll take fundy every time.

TB - you don't know who I am. You have no idea to which "logic" I prescribe. That being said - your judgment of who I am without even knowing me is the exact fundie logic that you'll be defined by every time.

Patebald said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Patebald said:

TB - you don't know who I am. You have no idea to which "logic" I prescribe. That being said - your judgment of who I am without even knowing me is the exact fundie logic that you'll be defined by every time.

Pate, please.
This thread was a response to the iPad in the pulpit thread.
The writer of the article was not a fundy by any definition.
No poster on the thread posted a blanket condemnation of such.
In fact, my first post was that I considered it nit picking.
You respond with "Fundies get hung up on the stupidest things".

And I'M jumping to false conclusions?
Thanks for proving my point.

[quote author=Just-a-nerd] what is SBTS?  Southern BAptist Theological Seminary?
[/quote]

uh-huh

Still wondering how a GARBC church isn't independent.

subllibrm said:

There was enough verifiable inaccuracies in the response of the claimant when I asked the question that I just ignored it as uninformed prejudiced opinion from that point forward.

subllibrm said:

Many Bible Baptist Fellowship churches wonder the same thing about the BBF.  Yet these "associations and fellowships" move as a group, operate as a group, and expel churches for non-conformance with the p&p of the group.  Led by their "council of 18" and "National Representative," the GARBC has meetings, dispenses resolutions, and functions as a national organization with a well defined system, very similar to the Northern Baptist Convention from which they came out, and the current SBC model.

Independents still wonder how the SBC, the GARBC, and the BBF lay any reasonable claim to being "Independent" local churches when their constituents remain unable to act or operate independently of "convention, association, or fellowship" approval.

PappaBear said:
subllibrm said:

Many Bible Baptist Fellowship churches wonder the same thing about the BBF.  Yet these "associations and fellowships" move as a group, operate as a group, and expel churches for non-conformance with the p&p of the group.  Led by their "council of 18" and "National Representative," the GARBC has meetings, dispenses resolutions, and functions as a national organization with a well defined system, very similar to the Northern Baptist Convention from which they came out, and the current SBC model.

Independents still wonder how the SBC, the GARBC, and the BBF lay any reasonable claim to being "Independent" local churches when their constituents remain unable to act or operate independently of "convention, association, or fellowship" approval.

That is ironic to me...who for 30 years Pastored an IFB church which became an SBC church.
There was absolutely more pressure to conform in IFB than SBC..in my experience.