Hacker Trivia!!

cast.sheep said:
Johnny Colsten.  He was hilarious in his dry sense of humor way!

Absolutely!

I remember a time when Hyles wanted to use him as a prop in an illustration. The sermon was on dealing with sin in general and he stood Colsten up and asked him, "What kind of sin do you want to be?" Colsten immediately replied, "Lasciviousness!" Everybody started laughing and Hyles said something like, "You don't know what that means, do you?" And he admitted he didn't.

That incident still cracks me up!

Tennessean said:
RAIDER said:
RAIDER said:
"In 'the old days' what would happen to you if you received 25 demerits, 50 demerits, 75 demerits, and 100 demerits?"

This is what I remember:

25 Demerits - Work 2 (or 4???) hours for the college
50 Demerits - Campused for "x" days
75 Demerits - Campused for "x" days
100 Demerits - Expelled

This talk of demerits and punishment at HAC brings to mind a great story in the legendary HAC career of Jim Alter. Keep in mind Jim had a great singing voice.

It was in chapel. Dr. Evans had made his announcements and Dr. Jorgenson stood to make his announcements. On this day it was punishment day. It was on this day that Dr. James Jorgenson would read off the names of the students that had accumulated 50 demerits and were to be punished. Dr. Jorgenson read off the list off students to be campused. Then he said, "The following student is suspended: 'Jim Alter'." He read the dates that Jim was suspended and he sat down. Now if you had happened to be looking at Dr. Evans when Dr. Jorgenson announced Jim's suspension you could tell that the good college president was suddenly very uncomfortable.

With a nervousness not normally seen by the good Dr. Evans, he walked to the microphone and announced, "The special music today is by Jim Alter."

It was a funny moment.

THIS IS HILARIOUS!!!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

RAIDER said:
"Of the men that sat on the platform with Dr. Hyles, which one added the most humor to a service?"
Johnny Colston sometimes attempted a joke.  Roy Moffit got the most ribbing.

"Don't have a cow, man", Johnny Colsten at the pulpit after one of the names Dr. Hyles read for tapes ready for pick-up was Bart Simpson.

Smellin Coffee said:
cast.sheep said:
Johnny Colsten.  He was hilarious in his dry sense of humor way!

Absolutely!

I remember a time when Hyles wanted to use him as a prop in an illustration. The sermon was on dealing with sin in general and he stood Colsten up and asked him, "What kind of sin do you want to be?" Colsten immediately replied, "Lasciviousness!" Everybody started laughing and Hyles said something like, "You don't know what that means, do you?" And he admitted he didn't.

That incident still cracks me up!

That is pure classic!!

qwerty said:
RAIDER said:
"In 'the old days' what would happen to you if you received 25 demerits, 50 demerits, 75 demerits, and 100 demerits?"

It used to be at 25, you were required to do two hours of work for a staff member.  They would sign that section of your demerit slip and you would return.

Was campused once for a day, but just failed to get an activity report turned in and corrected.

75 or 100....no idea, I just jumped up to Suspension/Expulsion....saved time.

I dont ever remember having to work for the college if I got 25 demerits....and I always got 25 demerits every semester. Guess I own the college some time!!

kaba said:
qwerty said:
RAIDER said:

It used to be at 25, you were required to do two hours of work for a staff member.  They would sign that section of your demerit slip and you would return.

Was campused once for a day, but just failed to get an activity report turned in and corrected.

I dont ever remember having to work for the college if I got 25 demerits....and I always got 25 demerits every semester. Guess I own the college some time!!

I am positive about the 25 demerits and working for the college.  I had to do it on two occasions.

RAIDER said:
kaba said:
qwerty said:
RAIDER said:

I am positive about the 25 demerits and working for the college.  I had to do it on two occasions.

I guess they saw you coming!!

My earlier post, I meant to say I OWE the college some time. :)

RAIDER said:
"Of the men that sat on the platform with Dr. Hyles, which one added the most humor to a service?"

Johnny Colston
Bob Auclair

fishinnut said:
Who was it that year after year taught in Ch Ed, "If you don't have don't spend it"?
Sounds like something similar Jorgensen would say.... "Don't spend money you don't have to buy things you don't need".

fishinnut said:
Who was it that year after year taught in Ch Ed, "If you don't have don't spend it"?

I doubt Jorgensen taught ch. ed., but he said it frequently in pers fin and announcement.  His line was more famously: "Don't spend money you don't have to buy things you don't need to impress people who should not have the rule over you."

Darrell Moore would have done ch. ed. and was famous for talking against credit cards, so I would guess it would be him.

Wait - was it Thom Kimmell?  I heard he gave excellent financial advice!  8)

fishinnut said:
Erlene Stevens (JH sister).

That little statement has saved my family a lot of mistakes & driven me to my knees instead many a time.

"What was the award called that was given out by the CLA at Pastor's School?"

RAIDER said:
"What was the award called that was given out by the CLA at Pastor's School?"

The Jack Hyles Defender of Freedom Award.

What did David Gibbs give Dr. Hyles at the 1990 Pastors School for standing against the attack of Robert L. Sumner?

What was the name of the song sung over & over & over & over at the 1990 Pastors School?

Tennessean said:
What was the name of the song sung over & over & over & over at the 1990 Pastors School?
It's Still The Blood

Tennessean said:
What did David Gibbs give Dr. Hyles at the 1990 Pastors School for standing against the attack of Robert L. Sumner?

A get out of jail free card?        8)

Sorry - it was too easy.