How many other non-Baptists are here?

Izdaari

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
How many of us here are NOT Baptists?

And how many Baptists are not IFB?

I'm just curious, since this place is so IFB centric, but I know there are other members like myself who aren't.

Izdaari said:

I'm just curious, since this place is so IFB centric, but I know there are other members like myself who aren't.

Nevermind.  Misread your question. I'm SB (sort of), but not IFB.

I should clarify the "sort of".  I'm a MEMBER of the SB church, but haven't attended one for a long time.  We attend a local Methodist congregation, but have never and will never become members. 

Ok, that's one non-IFB Baptist, cool.  8)

My denomination is currently Assemblies of God... but I'm looking for another church. Nothing wrong with my local church, but I'm out of step with some AG doctrine and with Conservative Evangelicalism in general.

I grew up in a very conservative SBC, attended a hyper-charismatic AoG in college, and currently attend a Calvary Chapel.

My theological views don't mesh well with Calvary Chapel, but it's home. Theologically, I'm probably somewhat of an A29 mindset without the extreme overemphasis on gender roles.

Izdaari said:

Have you thought about attending some Baptist churches in your area?  Yes, many Baptists are aggressive and militant but many are very loving and family like, esp. in the country.  In my opinion, doctrine is very important and the Baptists are the closest to the Bible and what a NT church should be. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baptists

El Cid said:
Have you thought about attending some Baptist churches in your area?  Yes, many Baptists are aggressive and militant but many are very loving and family like, esp. in the country.  In my opinion, doctrine is very important and the Baptists are the closest to the Bible and what a NT church should be. 

Thanks for the sales pitch.  We've all heard it before in one form or another.

El Cid said:
Izdaari said:

I certainly don't rule it out, though "in the country" doesn't apply. I'm a big city girl, living in Seattle, a very liberal and cosmopolitan major West Coast port city, sometimes jokingly called San Francisco North.

I've been to a couple of very good Baptist churches in my lifetime. One was the GARBC church where I went to Sunday School when I was 12. Another is the big ABC church that I attended when I first came back to Seattle.

But right now my focus is in a different direction. I'm feeling more drawn to the liturgical churches. The text under my avatar is a clue.

rsc2a said:
I grew up in a very conservative SBC, attended a hyper-charismatic AoG in college, and currently attend a Calvary Chapel.

My theological views don't mesh well with Calvary Chapel, but it's home. Theologically, I'm probably somewhat of an A29 mindset without the extreme overemphasis on gender roles.

Ok, the score now is 2 1/2. Two non-Baptists (counting myself), one non-IFB Baptist.

My AG church is not especially charismatic, and pretty hard to tell from charismatic-friendly non-denominational. I'm cool with that. But I don't even want to be associated with Conservative Evangelicalism anymore.

Timothy said:
Izdaari said:

Good question. I left IFB and originally said I wouldn't return to anything with Baptist in its name. After visiting many Churches of different denominations we did end up visiting a independent Missionary Baptist Church and slowly we are warming up. One thing that really helped me like this Church was when the pastor said he stays clear of The Sword of The Lord.

I hate to call myself anything but Christian. Seems like calling myself Baptist or Methodist just allows folks to broad-brush my personal standards.

Cool, Timothy, I'm glad that's working out for you.  :D

I'll score that as one more non-IFB Baptist unless you object.

Timothy said:
I would say they are closely related. They are nothing like the IFB Churches I have personally experienced. Perhaps they are more like a Southern Baptist Church.

Ok, good. Than I scored it correctly.  :)

HeDied4U said:
I consider myself non-denominational.
Me too.  Even though on paper I'm a SB, and attend a Methodist Church.  Unfortunately, non-denom congregations in our area tend to place to much emphasis on charismatic practices.

We were members of a hardcore IFB church when I was a teenager for a little over a year.  My mom and dad didn't like the extreme extra-biblical practices and got us out of there. 

standingtall said:
El Cid said:

The sales pitch was not for you and Izdaari does not need you to speak for her.  She is quite capable of speaking for herself but thanks anyway. 

El Cid said:
The sales pitch was not for you and Izdaari does not need you to speak for her.  She is quite capable of speaking for herself but thanks anyway.
Tell you what, IronCid, if you have something to say one-to-one with someone, send them a PM.  Don't post it in an open forum for everyone else to read.  You might have directed it at her, but it's open to comment because you posted it for all to see.

El Cid said:
standingtall said:
El Cid said:

Indeed. I do not rule out Baptist churches, as I have been to a few very good ones, but currently I'm looking at Anglican/Episcopal and Lutheran churches.

Baptist here ... my church is independent of the SBC but is most definitely not IFB. 

Izdaari said:
El Cid said:
standingtall said:
El Cid said:

Indeed. I do not rule out Baptist churches, as I have been to a few very good ones, but currently I'm looking at Anglican/Episcopal and Lutheran churches.

How about Presbyterian?