How many other non-Baptists are here?

Izdaari said:
Indeed. I do not rule out Baptist churches, as I have been to a few very good ones, but currently I'm looking at Anglican/Episcopal and Lutheran churches.

How about Presbyterian?

Also not ruled out, but PCA seems too Calvinist and too conservative for me, and PCUSA too liberal. Of course, every congregation is different.

Izdaari said:
The score now stands at:

3 non-Baptists
4 non-IFB Baptists

I'm convinced this is a blatant attempt to drive your post count up.  :p

rsc2a said:
Izdaari said:
The score now stands at:

3 non-Baptists
4 non-IFB Baptists

I'm convinced this is a blatant attempt to drive your post count up.  :p

That wasn't the original intent, but it does seem to be having that effect, and I count that as a good thing.  ;D

I was an IFBxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for 29 years. I was a soul winning, devil fighting, sin hating, rabid KJVO child of God. I was so high strung that I made Frag look like a pink lemonade drinking, lace wearing, sissy. I went to an IFBx KJVO Bible college, was an assistant pastor, and a pastor. After 29 years God finally opened my eyes and I saw the folly of all of that man-made nonsense that does not matter one bit. I still hate sin, and while I am King James preferred, I also see the value of other translations. I am still a witness for Christ, but I will not knock on your door and try to lead you through a 1-2-3 pray after me confession of faith. Instead, I will try to be your friend and hope that you see Christ living through me. If I am successful with that, then I will begin looking for ways to bring the conversation around to Christ.

I am now a Progressive Primitive Baptist. However, the Baptist is no longer important. God had to bring me to this point in order to prepare me for living outside of the United States. I am a member of a church now that I would have walked out of in my IFBx days. I would have missed out on the joy of worshiping God with brothers and sisters in Christ who love me and have made the transition of being away from home easier.  Do I like everything that goes on in it? No. Do I have to? No. As I look at the prospect now of living in other places around the world I am thankful that God helped me to shed my judgmentalism. I have discovered that the family of God is like any other family. You may do things that I am not totally in agreement with, but you are still my brother and sister in Christ.

Of course I am not talking about compromising basic doctrines, but instead I am learning to overlook things like music preference and how you conduct your church's outreach ministries. There was a time I would have walked out of a church that did not have an organized soul winning night and at least one bus route. Thank God that He has shown me that we are to reach others for Christ, but how we do it is left to us.

Izdaari said:
Izdaari said:
Indeed. I do not rule out Baptist churches, as I have been to a few very good ones, but currently I'm looking at Anglican/Episcopal and Lutheran churches.

How about Presbyterian?

Also not ruled out, but PCA seems too Calvinist and too conservative for me, and PCUSA too liberal. Of course, every congregation is different.

I'm PCA.  Calvinistic and very conservative (even by PCA 'standards').

I'm a Quaker. I like the way Quakers are so open-minded theologically. Quakers run the gamut from ultra-conservative to ultra-liberal. There are Calvinist ic Quakers (called "Reformed Quakers), KJVO Quakers, Catholic Quakers, even non-Christian Quakers - there are even atheistic Quakers. (I'm theologically moderate).

Not IFB.

I'm not sure what I am.

We are members of an SBC church, but am not attending at the moment and don't know if we'll end up back there. It depends on them and my husband and right now, they aren't doing anything that is helping to convince my husband that we have any reason to return. It's rather...heartbreaking but I refuse to break ties until I have done all I am able  to make things right and if it doesn't work, then at least I can walk away with a clear conscience.

We are also members of a Messianic church and have continued to attend this congregation with no plans to stop.

Gina,

That's a little bit like my situation, but not quite. I'm still an Assemblies of God member. I have no problems with my pastor or congregation, they're great. But I feel pretty alienated from them so far as doctrinal differences with AG specifically and with the theology, culture and politics of Conservative Evangelicalism in general. So, I've stopped attending and am checking into other churches. I still like my AG church, and might enjoy visiting sometimes, but I don't think they can change enough to meet me where I am. There's an Episcopal-Lutheran (yes, it has both affiliations) church I'm checking out, and I'm thinking it may be my new church home.

It seems like you're closer to your Messianic church, so I'll count you as a non-Baptist.

That makes the score:

6 non-Baptist
5 non-IFB Baptist

Presbyterian is about as close as I get to a classification.

I general find "Baptist" with a big "B".... to be troublesome. :)

I don't have as much problem with those that are little baptist with a little "b". :)

Conservative Baptist in Theology and Practice.
I don't use the name because the Baptists in our area of Michigan are nothing like us.

I find myself comfortable among nondenominational and denominational Evangelicals. We especially like the Evangelical Free denomination. Perhaps that is where.we will end up someday.

The church I attend now doesn't claim or affiliate with any denomination, but our beliefs are Baptist-based and the pastor grew up IFB (and is the son of an IFB preacher/evangelist).  Several of the people who attend come from stereotypical IFB backgrounds, but most of them were out of that mentality before the church ever started.

My previous church, which I really miss and will probably end up going back to eventually, is IFB in name by more Reformed in doctrine and the current pastor is out of an SBC church. It used to be IFB, IFBX by a lot of people's standards, but much has changed there too.

I guess that puts me on the line between IFB and non-IFB Baptist.

We are attending an Acts29 church plant (Vintage21). They're listed on the SBC website so I assume they are Southern Baptist, but I haven't heard any mention of it.

wheatpenny said:
I'm a Quaker. I like the way Quakers are so open-minded theologically. Quakers run the gamut from ultra-conservative to ultra-liberal. There are Calvinist ic Quakers (called "Reformed Quakers), KJVO Quakers, Catholic Quakers, even non-Christian Quakers - there are even atheistic Quakers. (I'm theologically moderate).

Don't quakers sit around waiting for someone to get the spirit and then that person starts quaking (shaking) and then gets up and speaks.  I read that is how they got their name.  Seems to me that they were the first Pentecostals.