How many other non-Baptists are here?

El Cid said:
Don't quakers sit around waiting for someone to get the spirit and then that person starts quaking (shaking) and then gets up and speaks.  I read that is how they got their name.  Seems to me that they were the first Pentecostals.

Wouldn't the guys at Pentecost be the first Pentecostals?  ;)  :)

SBC here. But our church has quite a variety of members from baptholics to bapticostals to deep fried ole time SBC with a few wannabe IFBers thrown in for flavor. Our lead pastor is reformed but you woud likely not know it from the messages he preaches.

Attended Baptist churches most of my life, but am now a member of an inner-city, multi-cultural Presbyterian Church.

El Cid said:
wheatpenny said:
I'm a Quaker. I like the way Quakers are so open-minded theologically. Quakers run the gamut from ultra-conservative to ultra-liberal. There are Calvinist ic Quakers (called "Reformed Quakers), KJVO Quakers, Catholic Quakers, even non-Christian Quakers - there are even atheistic Quakers. (I'm theologically moderate).

Don't quakers sit around waiting for someone to get the spirit and then that person starts quaking (shaking) and then gets up and speaks.  I read that is how they got their name.  Seems to me that they were the first Pentecostals.

We do wait for someone to be moved by the Spirit to speak, but as for the origin of the name "Quaker", it is because once George Fox (the founder of Quakerism) when asked about the nature of his religion is reported to have said "We are those who quaker at the Word of God".  The word "Quaker" was originally used as an insult, but the early Quakers soon adopted it as their name for themselves

rsc2a said:
El Cid said:

Well, yes, but in the same way that John was the first Baptist.  :p

By my reckoning, the count stands at:

9 non-Baptist
9 non-IFB Baptist

Of course, one could count it differently since some of our people are a judgment call on how to classify them.

Izdaari said:
How many of us here are NOT Baptists?

And how many Baptists are not IFB?

I'm just curious, since this place is so IFB centric, but I know there are other members like myself who aren't.

I am IFB, but I would rather be Christ-centered than IFB-centric. 

JrChurch said:
Izdaari said:
How many of us here are NOT Baptists?

And how many Baptists are not IFB?

I'm just curious, since this place is so IFB centric, but I know there are other members like myself who aren't.

I am IFB, but I would rather be Christ-centered than IFB-centric.

Good for you!  :D

IMHO, all Christians should be Christ-centered, rather than focused primarily on their particular denomination.

Izdaari said:
IMHO, all Christians should be Christ-centered, rather than focused primarily on their particular denomination.

Unless your denomination is the only one getting through the pearly gates.  8)

rsc2a said:
Izdaari said:

Unless your denomination is the only one getting through the pearly gates.  8)

Aye, but if they believe that, they're probably not actually Christians, but members of a Christian-based cult. That's one of the first tests I apply to identify a cult.

wheatpenny said:
El Cid said:
wheatpenny said:
I'm a Quaker. I like the way Quakers are so open-minded theologically. Quakers run the gamut from ultra-conservative to ultra-liberal. There are Calvinist ic Quakers (called "Reformed Quakers), KJVO Quakers, Catholic Quakers, even non-Christian Quakers - there are even atheistic Quakers. (I'm theologically moderate).

We do wait for someone to be moved by the Spirit to speak, but as for the origin of the name "Quaker", it is because once George Fox (the founder of Quakerism) when asked about the nature of his religion is reported to have said "We are those who quaker at the Word of God".  The word "Quaker" was originally used as an insult, but the early Quakers soon adopted it as their name for themselves

Seems to me knowing human nature that certain people will "feel" the spirit more than others and those with the strongest personality or leadership abilities will be the ones talking with the shy ones staying quiet. 

Izdaari said:
rsc2a said:
El Cid said:

Well, yes, but in the same way that John was the first Baptist.  :p

I did see the term in the Bible you know.  ;)  :D