Interracial Marriage

Wasn't it a military handle? I can't remember right off hand...I'll have to go back through some of the files I kept! I know he's in there several times. I lost touch with Alex...mainly because he was becoming an old, cranky man, and he didn't like being called on some of his unscriptural behaviors after he retired. Don't know why he slid so far back, but I still pray for him.
He was in the military for sure, and was a very spunky (typical for the FFF at the time :LOL:) former fundy, heading away from it as fast as possible. That pattern is all-too familiar with overly authoritarian-structured church types, not limited to the Hyles-Vineyard style of IFB.

Alex could be cranky, but I looked at his presence from the perspective of somebody who had been-there-done-that as it related to the IFB(x) wars, and counted his information/opinions as valuable, even when I disagreed from ideological standpoints. To put that in modern terms, similar to how I view the curmudgeonly Ransom :ROFLMAO: .

He was in the military for sure, and was a very spunky (typical for the FFF at the time :LOL:) former fundy, heading away from it as fast as possible. That pattern is all-too familiar with overly authoritarian-structured church types, not limited to the Hyles-Vineyard style of IFB.

Alex could be cranky, but I looked at his presence from the perspective of somebody who had been-there-done-that as it related to the IFB(x) wars, and counted his information/opinions as valuable, even when I disagreed from ideological standpoints. To put that in modern terms, similar to how I view the curmudgeonly Ransom :ROFLMAO: .
I grew up in an IFB church...We started attending when I was 9, and by the time I was 18, I was outta there...at least that church. The hypocrisy was considerable, and I, for my own sanity's sake, had to get out of there. When I went to college my first year, it was at another IFB local churches college. It was started as a split-off of BBC in Springfield, MO. I got suspended for 3 days about two months in because my hair touched my ears and the back of my collar. Of course, I was running my own business working autobody and had become a partner in three body shops and car lots. The hypocrisy over this was astounding to me...especially since the President of the college, also pastor of the church, was having an affair and was getting a divorce. I was later suspended a second time for standing up in the middle of announcements in chapel service when the adminstrator of the college stated that none of the ladies could work in the Western store where my parents were partners, "because the owners wifes wear jeans and look like whores..." ....wrong thing to say about my mother or the other business partners wife, the lady who led my mother to the Lord. I stood up and told him he wasn't going to speak about my mother like that, and that he was a hypocrite for standing by a pastor who was having an affair and getting a divorce. I was suspended for 10 days...LOL I guess I'm a rebel at heart, but I stand up for my family and friends, especially when they're in the right and the other person is in the wrong. I did get an apology from the pastor of the church for what was said. I guess he thought I would sue over the incident, Instead, I withdrew during second semester and tried again the next year when that pastor and the administrator had both departed.

... hypocrisy.... It was started as a split-off of BBC in Springfield, MO.... "because the owners wifes wear jeans and look like whores..." .......
Nobody in any area of life likes a hypocrite. My dad used to tell me regarding his cigarette smoking and drinking alcohol "do as I say and not as I do", but that type of logic was so transparently thin that I didn't buy it even as a budding teenager. Fortunately by God's grace, I did not slip into either one of those addictions.
My experience with Christianity and testimony with Christ is a bit different than the average fundamentalist. I was saved in a denominational church as a 19-year-old, not having grown up in a Christian home. I'd been out of church for 10 years since the church I was saved in went through a split. I was a carnal Christian. My boss was a deacon in the ifb church that I have now been in now for 20+ years and he recognized that I needed to get back in church. The IFB church that I began attending with my boss was founded by a graduate of Arlington Baptist College (which of course was a J. Frank Norris School), and the current pastor at that time was a Springfield BBF kind of guy. I didn't have a clue about all the different schisms within Christianity and denominationalism, or the beef of independent Baptists with Southern Baptists. It wasn't until a young Hyles pastor came to our church that I was introduced to that branch in the family tree. 😁. I was trained in a scientific background to think critically, but with my zeal and eagerness to grow in the Lord I trusted some of the baggage associated with mild legalism for time. But those instincts of critical thinking skills kicked in and I began to question what it meant to be a Christian and by His grace veered away from that form of thinking. That, coupled with a second pastor from Hyles Anderson who was older and wiser and more mature in things, led me away from the kool-aid. I remember 15 years ago having a conversation with him about Bob Gray Texas, and Big Bobs' usage of the word "whore" in relation to women wearing britches. I kindly and respect we told my pastor I would be the first person out the door if I was subjected to preaching like that in my church. He understood, and completely agreed. Unfortunately, there are too many stories like yours, where people were browbeaten and pushed away from Christianity.

Nobody in any area of life likes a hypocrite. My dad used to tell me regarding his cigarette smoking and drinking alcohol "do as I say and not as I do", but that type of logic was so transparently thin that I didn't buy it even as a budding teenager. Fortunately by God's grace, I did not slip into either one of those addictions.
My experience with Christianity and testimony with Christ is a bit different than the average fundamentalist. I was saved in a denominational church as a 19-year-old, not having grown up in a Christian home. I'd been out of church for 10 years since the church I was saved in went through a split. I was a carnal Christian. My boss was a deacon in the ifb church that I have now been in now for 20+ years and he recognized that I needed to get back in church. The IFB church that I began attending with my boss was founded by a graduate of Arlington Baptist College (which of course was a J. Frank Norris School), and the current pastor at that time was a Springfield BBF kind of guy. I didn't have a clue about all the different schisms within Christianity and denominationalism, or the beef of independent Baptists with Southern Baptists. It wasn't until a young Hyles pastor came to our church that I was introduced to that branch in the family tree. 😁. I was trained in a scientific background to think critically, but with my zeal and eagerness to grow in the Lord I trusted some of the baggage associated with mild legalism for time. But those instincts of critical thinking skills kicked in and I began to question what it meant to be a Christian and by His grace veered away from that form of thinking. That, coupled with a second pastor from Hyles Anderson who was older and wiser and more mature in things, led me away from the kool-aid. I remember 15 years ago having a conversation with him about Bob Gray Texas, and Big Bobs' usage of the word "whore" in relation to women wearing britches. I kindly and respect we told my pastor I would be the first person out the door if I was subjected to preaching like that in my church. He understood, and completely agreed. Unfortunately, there are too many stories like yours, where people were browbeaten and pushed away from Christianity.
Though I'm a lay preacher, I left the church and things of the Lord for several years after going through a church split. That as in 2005. I was an unpaid member of staff in a local SBC church, and they had a split while my wife and I were in Augusta, GA. My wife's mother had just been diagnosed with nonsmall lung cancer and was given 45 to 60 days to live. It was right at the top of her throat...So, we made the trip to Augusta and were there several days. It was July 3rd, 2005 when we left to come home to Murfreesboro, TN. Several hours after we got home, we received a call from my SIL telling us that my MIL had passed away. It was just after midnight...July 4th. We left that morning and went back to Augusta. When we got back from the funeral, we found that a deacon in our church was trying to oust the pastor. We walked into a war. The church split that Sunday evening. The pastor and assistant started another church, and I stayed with the original church. I didn't want to leave without knowing all the facts. I stayed and preached and tried to get the two sides together for over a month. I was being attacked by this same deacon, and I finally got to the point that I felt that I had to leave. We were being stalked by this deacon and several of his "cronies" and it really got to be quite dangerous. On that Wednesday night, I put my door keys to the church on the pulpit with a letter to the congregation, and then put my notice of separation from that congregation on the door like Martin Luther! ;) I was happy to go and join the other church. It closed within twelve months. The pastor resigned just before Christmas, and the assistant took over and I became the acting assistant. As we tried to get the church constitution done to present to the local association in the SBC, I found that the assistant was wanting to go more the route of the AoG churches. We stayed a couple of more weeks, but it was clear that there would be some apostacy moving in quickly. We left and didn't go for a couple of years. We were burned out and needed some recovery time. It had been hard on our marriage, and we both were worn out! So, we stayed out and recovered, having services at home. It helped. We looked at several churches, and we finally started attending one, but we didn't join it. We visited several more churches in the area, and we finally, in 2016 became members of our current church. It's been pretty good ever since.

Growing up, I was told there’s scriptural support in the form of the Curse of Ham. Also, the Tower of Babylon resulted in the scattering of races/ethnic groups. I’m sure these stories will be refuted, but those were used as proof. I do know God didn’t intend this but it came as a result of the Fall of Man. Of course, aside from the Bible, we’re also commanded to honor our parents and ministers, so we’d be in rebellion to go against their directions from God.
So it's your parents and your ministers fault that your a racist.

I see you view yourself as Clark Kent…but I’m sorry, for some reason I’ve always viewed you as the star of A Confederacy of Dunces. Seriously…I think you’re Ignatius.
That's nice. Ask your English teacher for a sticker.

Strom says he expects the Curse of Ham story to be refuted. Well, I don't want to disappoint him . . .

Was Ham Cursed? | Answers in Genesis

Don't let Ken Ham know you still believe in that Curse of Ham stuff. He takes it personally - it's his family name.

You're such weak sauce, you wouldn't have the pull to trigger me.

Nice persecution complex, though.
Seems like this site is really drawing the "Vinney" trolls lately!

Growing up, I was told there’s scriptural support in the form of the Curse of Ham. Also, the Tower of Babylon resulted in the scattering of races/ethnic groups. I’m sure these stories will be refuted, but those were used as proof. I do know God didn’t intend this but it came as a result of the Fall of Man. Of course, aside from the Bible, we’re also commanded to honor our parents and ministers, so we’d be in rebellion to go against their directions from God.
The best biblical injunction I have ever heard Ministers of the Bible given regarding what to believe and follow came from that little known Pharisee convert to Christianity named Saul of Tarsus when he said "follow me as I follow Christ". Lots of wrongs have been done in the name of Christianity, but those things are borne of religion, not Christ. Of course Jesus was known to have corrected many religionists while he walked this Earth by saying things like "you have heard it said, but I say unto you". Using the Bible for self-righteousness and hate is nothing new to 21st century fundamentalism or American evangelicalism. The Bible even says that people will wrest scripture to their own destruction, but the Christ of the Bible will be the ultimate judge of those abuses.

ALAYMAN....
ALAYMAN said:
Okay, if your efforts are to generate some traffic and revive a lethargic forum, I get it, but to be a good caricature you have to be innovative and creative. So far, you're a step or two from losing people's interest as "Strom" the fundamentalist. So I will help you out for just a spell longer. You said you were here about 15 years ago. Let's start with you naming a few FFF folk from anywhere near that timeframe.

Or, if you are claiming to be legit, start supporting your agenda with Scripture rather than merely other (fundy) men's opinion.

Have you noticed how this joker has sidestepped giving any of the names of people who were back on the FFF when we were??? I'm beginning to wonder if we're not being trolled here!

As your Religious Ethics professor, I would like to now take the opportunity to present you with your finals grade for the exam in which you participated.
Alayman: “A-“ (You had the cognitive ability to understand that ultimately what man says from a pulpit is very much determined by the era and culture in which he lives, but the Bible is eternal.)
Tmjbog: “B+” (Although your historic examples are vague and somewhat misplaced, you still attempted to bring in an historical analysis.)
Illinoisguy: “C-“ (Although you really had nothing substantive to contribute, you’ll get a participation trophy for having average reading/writing skills, and at least a weak sense of humor.”
Ransom: “D” (While you displayed average reading/writing skills, your only answers seems to end with question marks, sophomoric name-calling, and ultimately head scratching.)
AverageJoe: “F” (You seem to have a one-track mind, and a strange obsession with a former forum user named “Vinney.” Ultimately, I found your posts devoid of any substance, and your continual references to “Vinney” as reminiscent of a boy band groupie.)
Class is dismissed. Thanks for your participation.
Sincerely,
The Senator
LOL, TeeJay, how did Law School go? ;)

ALAYMAN....
Have you noticed how this joker has sidestepped giving any of the names of people who were back on the FFF when we were??? I'm beginning to wonder if we're not being trolled here!
He has given sufficient references in my mind, via the Dr Bob-Wyoming and other few characters/names he dropped. His awareness of those few details gives enough credibility to show he used to be around, but I agree that his purposes are akin to trolling, though I don't think the intent was nefarious, but rather more akin to spoofing radical fundys (ie, Philly the Kid :LOL:).

You t
As your Religious Ethics professor, I would like to now take the opportunity to present you with your finals grade for the exam in which you participated.
Alayman: “A-“ (You had the cognitive ability to understand that ultimately what man says from a pulpit is very much determined by the era and culture in which he lives, but the Bible is eternal.)
Tmjbog: “B+” (Although your historic examples are vague and somewhat misplaced, you still attempted to bring in an historical analysis.)
Illinoisguy: “C-“ (Although you really had nothing substantive to contribute, you’ll get a participation trophy for having average reading/writing skills, and at least a weak sense of humor.”
Ransom: “D” (While you displayed average reading/writing skills, your only answers seems to end with question marks, sophomoric name-calling, and ultimately head scratching.)
AverageJoe: “F” (You seem to have a one-track mind, and a strange obsession with a former forum user named “Vinney.” Ultimately, I found your posts devoid of any substance, and your continual references to “Vinney” as reminiscent of a boy band groupie.)
Class is dismissed. Thanks for your participation.
Sincerely,
The Senator
You're truly laughable, troll! Thanks for the laugh, Vinney!

Alayman: (You had the cognitive ability to understand that ultimately what man says from a pulpit is very much determined by the era and culture in which he lives, but the Bible is eternal.)
As an aside, I would add one caveat to your critique of my moral/ethical analysis. Though it is true that cultural variables and social mores have significant sway upon what is preached from pulpits in any given era, there has been ample historical evidence of brave men and women who withstood the societal influences and pressures surrounding them (Bonhoeffer, Wilberforce, Luther, etc) and were able to proclaim truth according to the dictates of reason via their own consciences held captive to Scriptures.

The whole "pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name" schtick is kind of tiresome, too. In spite of the number of times he's dropped my name and alluded to our past history, I don't actually care.

The whole "pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name" ...
Great. Thanks a lot. Now that song and oooh-oooh will be stuck in my head the rest of the day.

The whole "pleased to meet you, hope you guess my name" schtick is kind of tiresome, too. In spite of the number of times he's dropped my name and alluded to our past history, I don't actually care.
I agree...he's not worth the time or the effort! And to think...he wanted to act as OUR professor??? LOL Make me laugh!