Jack Hyles Legacy

Bruh

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Someone said this upstairs, referring to Jack Hyles legacy.

"To have the respect of those closest to you seems a far better legacy than to have the respect of thousands who know you from afar."

I think this really somes up his legacy.

Not trying to be mean but I really think this is the reality of it.

Bruh said:

"To have the respect of those closest to you seems a far better legacy than to have the respect of thousands who know you from afar."

I think this really somes up his legacy.

Not trying to be mean but I really think this is the reality of it.
Some statements sum up a life some don't.

Bruh said:

I think this really sums up his legacy.

Are you saying that the quote does or does not sum up his legacy?  Those closest to him would be his wife (who rejected everything he ever taught and went to a SBC  church), his children: Dave (enough said), Linda (no respect), Cindy, and Becky.  Not sure of any of them have a lot of respect for him.

Walt said:
Bruh said:

Are you saying that the quote does or does not sum up his legacy?  Those closest to him would be his wife (who rejected everything he ever taught and went to a SBC  church), his children: Dave (enough said), Linda (no respect), Cindy, and Becky.  Not sure of any of them have a lot of respect for him.

That is sad, but true.
But, it appears that because he died holding to his 'militant standards and separation' he was a giant of the faith....the IFB faith.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I just don't understand that reasoning.  :-[

Walt said:
Bruh said:

I believe the statement is very telling.

You have people on here that hold him in high regard yet his family seems to have turned their back on most if not all of what he taught to those that knew him from afar.

Many (even ppl on here) say they felt like they knew him but in reality they never really did. His family knew him his wife and kids knew him when he wasn't behind the pulpit or signing bibles.

Some of the things he taught may have been good but did he really live them out? Once he died his wife joined up with the SBC.  How much did she really believe what her husband believe?

His son definitely has had no respect whatsoever for his dad both daughters 3 daughters divorced one has gone public calling her dads church a cult.

Look all I'm saying is, ppl can defend what they want about JH but the reality of what he lived, IMO, can be found in his children.

As I said, I'm not trying to be mean but this is the reality.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:
Bruh said:

That is sad, but true.
But, it appears that because he died holding to his 'militant standards and separation' he was a giant of the faith....the IFB faith.

He was much more than that description to 1000s of Baptist Christians and pastors.  He motivated people to win souls.  He motivated pastors to do more for God.  He definitely made some costly mistakes, but many did not know of it.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:
Bruh said:

That is sad, but true.

Trust me, ur not the only one that does not understand this reasoning.

RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:
Bruh said:

That is sad, but true.

He was much more than that description to 1000s of Baptist Christians and pastors.  He motivated people to win souls.  He motivated pastors to do more for God.  He definitely made some costly mistakes, but many did not know of it.

And what was he to his family?

He sacrificed his family for the sake of ministry.

How is this honorable?

Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:
Bruh said:

That is sad, but true.

How is this honorable?

That is not honorable.  It is a shame.

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:
Bruh said:

That is sad, but true.

How is this honorable?

That is not honorable.  It is a shame.

So than, do you agree with this...

Bruh said:
So than, do you agree with this...

I don't believe Linda has respect for him.  I believe the others do.

RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:
Bruh said:

That is sad, but true.

And I have NO problem with Dr Hyles being a hero to many.
What I have a problem with is those 1000's who revere Dr Hyles and Hammond at the same time look down on...condemn others, like Falwell who also motivated people to win souls, built a solid church and ministry, still solid to this day (contrasted with Hammond).

Raider, is it not fair to conclude, that to those 1,000's strong standards, militant separation and soulwinning trumps moral and ethical purity?

Tarheel Baptist said:
What I have a problem with is those 1000's who revere Dr Hyles and Hammond at the same time look down on...condemn others, like Falwell who also motivated people to win souls, built a solid church and ministry, still solid to this day (contrasted with Hammond).

Raider, is it not fair to conclude, that to those 1,000's strong standards, militant separation and soulwinning trumps moral and ethical purity?

I'm not talking about Dr. Hyles being a "hero".  I do realize he is to many.  I'm talking about the positive difference he has made in many lives.  Yes, there are many idiots who "look down" on others.  I believe you can disagree with someone without "looking down" on them. 

I am not a fan of the direction Falwell's son has taken the church.  I would not be comfortable attending.  That does not mean that I "look down" on him.

Because someone's life was positively affected by the ministry of Jack Hyles and they have strong standards of separation, does not mean that they are morally and ethically impure. 

I would not say Mrs. Hyles has rejected everything.  She often references and/or quotes her husband in her weekly blog.  Yes, I know, she probably has a ghost writer sometimes, but I do not believe any blog post would be published without her first reading and agreeing to it. 

One of her greatest concerns during the JS situation was that Dr. Hyles's legacy may be trampled and forgotten.

RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I'm not talking about Dr. Hyles being a "hero".  I do realize he is to many.  I'm talking about the positive difference he has made in many lives.  Yes, there are many idiots who "look down" on others.  I believe you can disagree with someone without "looking down" on them. 

I am not a fan of the direction Falwell's son has taken the church.  I would not be comfortable attending.  That does not mean that I "look down" on him.

Because someone's life was positively affected by the ministry of Jack Hyles and they have strong standards of separation, does not mean that they are morally and ethically impure.

With all due respect, I think you are parsing words here, and as Tom Brennan says words mean something. The truth of the matter is that the true IFB believers, and that's not meant as a derogatory term, do look down on what they consider compromise....and that is never doctrinal compromise, always standards and convictions which are subjective. And they would prefer standards and convictions in these subjective areas to someone who lived his life true to Biblical standards of morality and doctrine,was faithful to his wife, his kids still serve and honor the Lord and are assets to the ministry, and left a ministry that still thrives and has no hint of moral scandal.

I know it sound ridiculous to say that 'strong standards, militant separation and soulwinning trumps adherence to moral, ethical and biblical standards'...but that is, in essence what some, many, most IFB true believers believe.

At, least that's how I, and others see it.

Tarheel Baptist said:
I know it sound ridiculous to say that 'strong standards, militant separation and soulwinning trumps adherence to moral, ethical and biblical standards'...but that is, in essence what some, many, most IFB true believers believe.

I have been an IFB for 45 years and I do not know anyone who would agree with what you have stated.  I'm not sure to whom you have been talking but to say that "most" IFB believe what you have said is crazy.  Seems to me that someone somewhere has disagreed with you on standards and you have lumped everyone into the same boat.

RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I have been an IFB for 45 years and I do not know anyone who would agree with what you have stated.  I'm not sure to whom you have been talking but to say that "most" IFB believe what you have said is crazy.  Seems to me that someone somewhere has disagreed with you on standards and you have lumped everyone into the same boat.

I was an IFB for 60 years and, while no one would SAY they believe that ( it sounds ridiculous), but it IS what they practice.

And I have recently had an encounter with an IFB pastor who publicly stated that I had followed the pied piper in Lynchburg and he was thankful to have escaped that influence because of his affinity for Dr Hyles and Hammond. And, I have had more than a few other IFBs state the same to me.

Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I was an IFB for 60 years and, while no one would SAY they believe that ( it sounds ridiculous), but it IS what they practice.

And I have recently had an encounter with an IFB pastor who publicly stated that I had followed the pied piper in Lynchburg and he was thankful to have escaped that influence because of his affinity for Dr Hyles and Hammond. And, I have had more than a few other IFBs state the same to me.

I figured you had someone shake your apple cart.  That is no reason to exaggerate and say "most" IFB are this way.

RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I have not heard a sermon against women wearing pants in over three decades - maybe longer.  I can't remember the exact last time I heard mentioned in a sermon about how sinful going to the movies is, but I would guess it was probably back when I was in junior high school chapel almost 40 years ago.    Mixed swimming?  Same - maybe summer camp as a teenager. 

Guess what?  I attend what many on this forum would call an IFBx church.  All these rants that supposedly IFBs get on and preach every single service I just don't see or hear.  Granted, I may doze here in there, but it's been a rare service I napped throughout the whole message.    :)

I do not know any IFBs who would agree that militant separation, standards, and soul winning trump moral, ethical, and biblical standards.  I just don't.