Jack Hyles Legacy

patriotic said:
RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
I know it sound ridiculous to say that 'strong standards, militant separation and soulwinning trumps adherence to moral, ethical and biblical standards'...but that is, in essence what some, many, most IFB true believers believe.

At, least that's how I, and others see it.

I have been an IFB for 45 years and I do not know anyone who would agree with what you have stated.  I'm not sure to whom you have been talking but to say that "most" IFB believe what you have said is crazy.  Seems to me that someone somewhere has disagreed with you on standards and you have lumped everyone into the same boat.

I have not heard a sermon against women wearing pants in over three decades - maybe longer.  I can't remember the exact last time I heard mentioned in a sermon about how sinful going to the movies is, but I would guess it was probably back when I was in junior high school chapel almost 40 years ago.    Mixed swimming?  Same - maybe summer camp as a teenager. 

Guess what?  I attend what many on this forum would call an IFBx church.  All these rants that supposedly IFBs get on and preach every single service I just don't see or hear.  Granted, I may doze here in there, but it's been a rare service I napped throughout the whole message.    :)

I do not know any IFBs who would agree that militant separation, standards, and soul winning trump moral, ethical, and biblical standards.  I just don't.

the church u attend, if a lady wears pants can she teach Sunday school?

If a person goes to the movies can they teach Sunday school?

Bruh said:
patriotic said:
RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
I know it sound ridiculous to say that 'strong standards, militant separation and soulwinning trumps adherence to moral, ethical and biblical standards'...but that is, in essence what some, many, most IFB true believers believe.

I have been an IFB for 45 years and I do not know anyone who would agree with what you have stated.  I'm not sure to whom you have been talking but to say that "most" IFB believe what you have said is crazy.  Seems to me that someone somewhere has disagreed with you on standards and you have lumped everyone into the same boat.

I have not heard a sermon against women wearing pants in over three decades - maybe longer.  I can't remember the exact last time I heard mentioned in a sermon about how sinful going to the movies is, but I would guess it was probably back when I was in junior high school chapel almost 40 years ago.    Mixed swimming?  Same - maybe summer camp as a teenager. 

Guess what?  I attend what many on this forum would call an IFBx church.  All these rants that supposedly IFBs get on and preach every single service I just don't see or hear.  Granted, I may doze here in there, but it's been a rare service I napped throughout the whole message.    :)

I do not know any IFBs who would agree that militant separation, standards, and soul winning trump moral, ethical, and biblical standards.  I just don't.

Sure they can, although they are asked and agree not to.  However, I do not know of anyone ever asked to step down due to doing so, and yes, I know of some who have done either or both of the above while they were teaching. 

patriotic said:
I would not say Mrs. Hyles has rejected everything.  She often references and/or quotes her husband in her weekly blog.  Yes, I know, she probably has a ghost writer sometimes, but I do not believe any blog post would be published without her first reading and agreeing to it. 

One of her greatest concerns during the JS situation was that Dr. Hyles's legacy may be trampled and forgotten.

I'm sure you know and have heard sermons preached by JH about the SBC.

Everything and I mean everything that I have heard from IFB pastors about the SBC is proven wrong nearly every time I attend my SBC church. This past Sunday morning the pastor was preaching against, wrong tv, I told my wife when we got home, another myth debunked.

Bruh said:

Why would a lady that teaches Sunday School want to put on the attire of a man and go watch violence and listen to God's name taken in vain?  :)

patriotic said:
I do not know of anyone ever asked to step down due to doing so, and yes, I know of some who have done either or both of the above while they were teaching.

And these compromising deadbeats are still sucking air?  This is how apostasy starts!

patriotic said:
Bruh said:
patriotic said:
RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Sure they can, although they are asked and agree not to.  However, I do not know of anyone ever asked to step down due to doing so, and yes, I know of some who have done either or both of the above while they were teaching.

If not I understand, but who is ur pastor?

patriotic said:
Bruh said:
patriotic said:
RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Then, why have the standard at all?
IF I believe these activities are sinful then I certainly would not have a spiritual leader who willingly and willfully committed sin on Saturday and then teach, sing and lead on Sunday.

But this goes to my point....there are many, many who believe Falwell was a compromiser because he shunned theses extra biblical standards, even though he remained scandal free. Yet, Dr Hyles, who's personal and ministry were hardly scandal free by the most generous definition, are held in high regard.

In essence, practicing what I have asserted they practice, all the while denying that practice such foolishness. I am making no personal accusation and mean no personal insult to you, Raider or any other IFB....but that is what is actually practiced in many circles.

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:

Why would a lady that teaches Sunday School want to put on the attire of a man and go watch violence and listen to God's name taken in vain?  :)

When she can stay home and watch said violence and listen to the same profanity on tv...while wearing culottes.  :)

Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:

When she can stay home and watch said violence and listen to the same profanity on tv...while wearing culottes.  :)

Now you are getting it!!

Tarheel Baptist said:
patriotic said:
Bruh said:
patriotic said:
RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Then, why have the standard at all?
IF I believe these activities are sinful then I certainly would not have a spiritual leader who willingly and willfully committed sin on Saturday and then teach, sing and lead on Sunday.

But this goes to my point....there are many, many who believe Falwell was a compromiser because he shunned theses extra biblical standards, even though he remained scandal free. Yet, Dr Hyles, who's personal and ministry were hardly scandal free by the most generous definition, are held in high regard.

In essence, practicing what I have asserted they practice, all the while denying that practice such foolishness. I am making no personal accusation and mean no personal insult to you, Raider or any other IFB....but that is what is actually practiced in many circles.

I get what u r saying. What I don't get is ppl like Raider not getting it.

Falwell had no scandal in his ministry but is preached against bc he didn't think it was a sin for a woman to wear pants and thought it was ok to go to the movies and wasn't KJVO.

Yet Hyles ministry were racked with scandal and ppl continue to reference him AND HIS MINISTRY.

But he said a woman that wore pants knew why she wore them. And said going to the movies was a sin and bc of this it's more like, hey, nobody's perfect.

It's as if if u r off on doctrine but have their standards, we can fellowship and won't preach against u and ur ministry.

BUT can be, on point with doctrine but not have the same standards than you are a heretic. And they will say, we love u brother we just can't associate with you.

His legacy is in the hundreds of pastors whom he influenced that are currently leading churches. His legacy is also the rapid absence of his name as a public influence. IMHO, he worked hard on accomplishing both of those - the first intentionally and the second accidentally. ...and I think that is a good thing, on balance. His flaws were too great and too public for God to allow him a similar or greater influence after death as he heaped to himself in his life.

...but his legacy in his "preacher boys" is gigantic.

Tom Brennan said:
His legacy is in the hundreds of pastors whom he influenced that are currently leading churches. His legacy is also the rapid absence of his name as a public influence. IMHO, he worked hard on accomplishing both of those - the first intentionally and the second accidentally. ...and I think that is a good thing, on balance. His flaws were too great and too public for God to allow him a similar or greater influence after death as he heaped to himself in his life.

Absolutely!  As well as in missionaries and full-time Christian workers and Christian laymen that serve in churches.

Tom Brennan said:

"To have the respect of those closest to you seems a far better legacy than to have the respect of thousands who know you from afar."

Agree or disagree?

Bruh said:
Tom Brennan said:

"To have the respect of those closest to you seems a far better legacy than to have the respect of thousands who know you from afar."

Agree or disagree?

Who said that Jack Hyles never had the respect of those closest to him?

Tom Brennan said:

I have no argument with his influence...he influenced me in many ways.
I just think the fact that now many are running away from his legacy in Hammond and the sad state of his family speaks with the loudest voice.

Tom Brennan said:

"Who cares about integrity? He had numbers!"

Tarheel Baptist said:
Tom Brennan said:

I have no argument with his influence...he influenced me in many ways.
I just think the fact that now many are running away from his legacy in Hammond and the sad state of his family speaks with the loudest voice.

His family has damaged his legacy in many ways, but JS did more damage in a shorter period of time.

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
Tom Brennan said:

Agree or disagree?

Who said that Jack Hyles never had the respect of those closest to him?

I think his family's (many in his family) opinion of him, including his wife being an SBC member, is what that references.

rsc2a said:
Tom Brennan said:

"Who cares about integrity? He had numbers!"

The numbers of pastors he influenced....even you can understand Tom's valid point.