Jack Hyles Legacy

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
Tom Brennan said:
His legacy is in the hundreds of pastors whom he influenced that are currently leading churches. His legacy is also the rapid absence of his name as a public influence. IMHO, he worked hard on accomplishing both of those - the first intentionally and the second accidentally. ...and I think that is a good thing, on balance. His flaws were too great and too public for God to allow him a similar or greater influence after death as he heaped to himself in his life.

...but his legacy in his "preacher boys" is gigantic.

"To have the respect of those closest to you seems a far better legacy than to have the respect of thousands who know you from afar."

Agree or disagree?

Who said that Jack Hyles never had the respect of those closest to him?

Cindy Schaap aside.

Dave surely has had no respect for his dad.

Linda has come out very very publicly about her dad.

Mrs. Hyles is a member of a very prominent SBC church, you'd have to admit this speaks volumes in and of itself.

If I'm not mistaken the other daughter is a member of a SBC church as well.

Bruh said:
RAIDER said:

Cindy Schaap aside.

Mrs. Hyles is a member of a very prominent SBC church, you'd have to admit this speaks volumes in and of itself.

Linda aside, if we are judging respect by a son being immoral or a wife and daughter going to a SBC, than they have no respect for him.  If we are judging respect by that which they speak of him (thankfulness and praise) than it is a different story.

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:

Cindy Schaap aside.

Linda aside, if we are judging respect by a son being immoral or a wife and daughter going to a SBC, than they have no respect for him.  If we are judging respect by that which they speak of him (thankfulness and praise) than it is a different story.

Again, words mean something, and Dr Hyles was death to the SBC in his preaching. And in his ridicule. Don't you think his wife and daughters knew that better than anyone else? It seems to me that joining an SBC church would be a calculated move. But I have no idea of their motives in doing so.

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:

Cindy Schaap aside.

Dave Hyles was having sex on ur beloved Hyles Andersn campus and you don't think that was disrespecting the great Dr. Hyles? You know it as well as I do, Dave may as well have been having sec in his parents bed.

SBC, you know good and well the way the great Dr.Hyles preached against the SBC.

Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:

Cindy Schaap aside.

Again, words mean something, and Dr Hyles was death to the SBC in his preaching. And in his ridicule. Don't you think his wife and daughters knew that better than anyone else? It seems to me that joining an SBC church would be a calculated move. But I have no idea of their motives in doing so.

I don't think it was calculated, LOL!! Sorry.

But it says volumes.

Bruh said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:

Cindy Schaap aside.

But it says volumes.

I would think that they did know it would raise eyebrows to say the least. And they joined them anyway. To me, that is a calculated, tactical move. They knew there would be fall out, and damage to Dr Hyles legacy. How could they not know that?

And, have they received criticism from IFB true believers because they did so?

Tarheel Baptist said:
rsc2a said:
Tom Brennan said:
His legacy is in the hundreds of pastors whom he influenced that are currently leading churches. His legacy is also the rapid absence of his name as a public influence. IMHO, he worked hard on accomplishing both of those - the first intentionally and the second accidentally. ...and I think that is a good thing, on balance. His flaws were too great and too public for God to allow him a similar or greater influence after death as he heaped to himself in his life.

...but his legacy in his "preacher boys" is gigantic.
"Who cares about integrity? He had numbers!"

The numbers of pastors he influenced....even you can understand Tom's valid point.
He influenced quite a few. One he influenced polished his shaft at the podium while many more he influenced watch. And, with all the cheering, false degrees, and other honorifics, is it any wonder that those he influenced to worship men now worship him?

Bruh said:

But it says volumes.

Yep. In that nearly everything you have heard from Hyles, BJU and other IFBs, about the SBC is prejudiced and wrong.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Bruh said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:

Cindy Schaap aside.

But it says volumes.

I would think that they did know it would raise eyebrows to say the least. And they joined them anyway. To me, that is a calculated, tactical move. They knew there would be fall out, and damage to Dr Hyles legacy. How could they not know that?

Of course they had to know it would raise eyebrows, but like I said, no respect!

Preached against, are you serious? PWAAAAHAAAA!!!

They have the blood of the great Dr.Hyles!

Bruh said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Bruh said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:

Cindy Schaap aside.

But it says volumes.

Of course they had to know it would raise eyebrows, but like I said, no respect!

Many IFB's took little old peon 'me' to task when I became SBC.
I would think there would be a militant separation from these SBC's. Has Mrs Hyles spoken at any IFB meetings since she defected?

FSSL said:
Bruh said:

But it says volumes.

Yep. In that nearly everything you have heard from Hyles, BJU and other IFBs, about the SBC is prejudiced and wrong.

I've never gone to any other church except an IFB church my entire life, except these past few months.

Anything and everything negative ive heard about the SBC is debunked nearly every service.

The pastor preaches against sin, preaches that we should live separated lives, preaches against sinful tv, preaches against smoking drinking and gambling.

Seriously my mind has been blown.

The difference I do see is that he doesn't preach a whole sermon on any one of the things I've mentioned. Also, he allows room for the Holy Spirit. I've come under conviction nearly every service.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Bruh said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Bruh said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:

Cindy Schaap aside.

But it says volumes.

I would think there would be a militant separation from these SBC's. Has Mrs Hyles spoken at any IFB meetings since she defected?

Yes I pretty sure she has.

Bruh said:
"To have the respect of those closest to you seems a far better legacy than to have the respect of thousands who know you from afar."

Agree or disagree?

I agree completely. I would rather reach my children for the cause of Christ than a churches full of people. Jack Hyles' mistakes in this area are not his alone. Check Billy Sunday. Check D. L. Moody. Check A. W. Tozer. Check any number of men in Christian history who were so busy in ministry they were bad fathers.

To me, it wouldn't be worth it. But any accurate measurement of their life must include both the positive and the negative.

<somebody needs to write a biography of Jack Hyles that actually does that>

Bruh said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Bruh said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Bruh said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:

Cindy Schaap aside.

But it says volumes.

Yes I pretty sure she has.

How can that be?

There hasn't been any new content on that blog in 6 months. In truth, she is (well, was) being "helped" with it by Dave and his daughter.

patriotic said:
I would not say Mrs. Hyles has rejected everything.  She often references and/or quotes her husband in her weekly blog.  Yes, I know, she probably has a ghost writer sometimes, but I do not believe any blog post would be published without her first reading and agreeing to it. 

One of her greatest concerns during the JS situation was that Dr. Hyles's legacy may be trampled and forgotten.

Tom Brennan said:
I agree completely. I would rather reach my children for the cause of Christ than a churches full of people. Jack Hyles' mistakes in this area are not his alone. Check Billy Sunday. Check D. L. Moody. Check A. W. Tozer. Check any number of men in Christian history who were so busy in ministry they were bad fathers.

To me, it wouldn't be worth it. But any accurate measurement of their life must include both the positive and the negative.

I agree, Tom. I enjoyed reading Bob Gray's book about Dr. Hyles.  I enjoyed reading Cindy Schaap's biography of Dr. Hyles.  The problem, they have only covered the positives.  I wonder if Bob Gray only covers the "positives" of people's lives in his preaching.  :)

I would love to see a biography written about Jack Hyles from a balanced point of view.  Cover the positives (there are many) and don't skip over the scandals and the negative aspects.  The author would not have to go into details.

I'm not sure who could write a book such as this.  It would have to be someone who knew and loved Dr. Hyles, yet now see some problems.

Why would it need to be written by someone who loved Jack Hyles in order to be objective? Wouldn't the "loving Jack Hyles" part insure that it would not be objective?

RAIDER said:
Tom Brennan said:

I agree, Tom. I enjoyed reading Bob Gray's book about Dr. Hyles.  I enjoyed reading Cindy Schaap's biography of Dr. Hyles.  The problem, they have only covered the positives.  I wonder if Bob Gray only covers the "positives" of people's lives in his preaching.  :)

I would love to see a biography written about Jack Hyles from a balanced point of view.  Cover the positives (there are many) and don't skip over the scandals and the negative aspects.  The author would not have to go into details.

I'm not sure who could write a book such as this.  It would have to be someone who knew and loved Dr. Hyles, yet now see some problems.

Norefund said:
Why would it need to be written by someone who loved Jack Hyles in order to be objective? Wouldn't the "loving Jack Hyles" part insure that it would not be objective?

RAIDER said:
Tom Brennan said:

If you have someone that was not close to the ministry it would be much more difficult.  If you notice, I said, "...loved Dr. Hyles, yet now sees some problems".

You don't have to be close, just capable of research.

rsc2a said:
You don't have to be close, just capable of research.

I would agree.  No bias either way.