Jack Hyles

You're not willing to drive to a good Hyles Baptist Church but you're a pastor of a Southern Baptist Church that's close to you. Shows your priorities. 😎

😜😅🤣😉

Last edited:
A lot of these churches that are the self-proclaimed "Only Good Church Around" will advertise themselves by saying "The Difference Is Worth the Distance." But that's not always true, especially not if the church has "Hyles" in its name.

You're not willing to drive to a good Hyles Baptist Church but your pastor of Southern Baptist Church that's close to you. Shows your priorities. 😎

😜😅🤣😉
I've got to be serious here for a minute....I'd rather die than step foot inside of another Hyleish church! The damage I've seen is just far to great to ignore. There are many of my relatives and friends who have turned away from God because of this "Jim Jones' wannabe! With that being said,
What the Hyles were we talking about??? :)

A lot of these churches that are the self-proclaimed "Only Good Church Around" will advertise themselves by saying "The Difference Is Worth the Distance." But that's not always true, especially not if the church has "Hyles" in its name.
Of course Hyles wasn't shy bashing other churches. Particularly if you didn't agree with him. He bad mouthed PCC and claimed they were "Too Liberal" and chastised anyone who sent their kids there. Of course he had a personal grudge against Jerry Falwell.

Of course Hyles wasn't shy bashing other churches. Particularly if you didn't agree with him. He bad mouthed PCC and claimed they were "Too Liberal" and chastised anyone who sent their kids there. Of course he had a personal grudge against Jerry Falwell.

someone very familiar with those times.. and the people.. told me the reason jack hyles turned sour against jerry falwell, was because falwell was viewed by the news media as the poster preacher for christian fundamentalist conservatives.... and hyles wasn;t..... ..(aka... moral majority etc).

someone very familiar with those times.. and the people.. told me the reason jack hyles turned sour against jerry falwell, was because falwell was viewed by the news media as the poster preacher for christian fundamentalist conservatives.... and hyles wasn;t..... ..(aka... moral majority etc).
Everybody KNEW that Hyles had some serious MORAL failings...don't see why his people kept him. They're just as guilty for the problems he caused around the country as Hyles himself! Hope they're feeling good about supporting that false prophet.

Everybody KNEW that Hyles had some serious MORAL failings...don't see why his people kept him. They're just as guilty for the problems he caused around the country as Hyles himself! Hope they're feeling good about supporting that false prophet.
An amazing comment. I'm not sure how you know what "everybody" knew. We didn't know it or even suspect it during our time there, not until 1989 when Sumner published his hit piece. Then the questions started, not because of the article that Sumner wrote, but by the reaction of Hyles. Of course, time has a way to reveal more, but to say that "everybody" knew is just ignorant.

An amazing comment. I'm not sure how you know what "everybody" knew. We didn't know it or even suspect it during our time there, not until 1989 when Sumner published his hit piece. Then the questions started, not because of the article that Sumner wrote, but by the reaction of Hyles. Of course, time has a way to reveal more, but to say that "everybody" knew is just ignorant.
That's strange because we knew at Maranatha in 1982...It wasn't that hard to figure out. We also knew that Hyles was a liar and thief when he came to MBBC to give the chapel service, and at the end spent a little time on the floor of the gymatorium with several of us students telling us that as Arno Q. Weniger Jr took over the college that next semester that we all needed to be transferring to HAC because the school would go downhill. My then-fiance and I were there and heard every word. There were a LOT of things going on with JH...and they weren't pretty.

I started this thread and have mixed emotions about it.
On one hand, I'm glad victims were able to remind us of several reasons we should not worship man.
On the other hand, I regret posting it as if Hyles was ever my hero. He was not. A friend reminded me not too long ago, "Man will fail us every time."
Hyles was glorified but interesting that 22 years later, his legacy of protecting pedophiles has been exposed multiple times and in multiple places. Ironically, his own son leaves a lasting legacy, as well.
My sister has told me often, "You can become bitter or better."
Those of you who are victims, maybe your choice of bitter or better changes every day. Your lives were scarred and the IFB helped open that scar repeatedly.
Please know there are people like me who have great sorrow you were deeply hurt by those who should have been protecting you.

Last edited:
I started this thread and have mixed emotions about it.
On one hand, I'm glad victims were able to remind us of several reasons we should not worship man.
On the other hand, I regret posting it as if Hyles was ever my hero. He was not. A friend reminded me not too long ago, "Man will fail us every time."
Hyles was glorified but interesting that 22 years later, his legacy of protecting pedophiles has been exposed multiple times and in multiple places. Ironically, his own son leaves a lasting legacy, as well.
My sister has told me often, "You can become bitter or better."
Those of you who are victims, maybe your choice of bitter or better changes every day. Your lives were scarred and the IFB helped open that scar repeatedly.
Please know there are people like me who have great sorrow you were deeply hurt by those who should have been protecting you.
Jo I just wrote from heart. We knew about dh in before we left in 1983. If you were on campus as a student you knew .......its sad to see staff act like they knew nothing when I know they did. D day comes but I am not bitter I'm better

Hyles threw shade at Falwell for going accredited and claimed he was becoming a compromising liberal and Hyles also claims that Falwell pioneered CCM music.
Tony Hutson is one of the few IFB bigwigs who never threw Falwell under the bus. He even applauded Falwell for "Being Different" even though Dr. Hutson didn't agree with Falwell on CCM/women wearing pants etc.

Hyles' other cronies (Larry Brown and Jack Trieber) continue on in Hyles' tradition of bad mouthing Falwell.

You're not willing to drive to a good Hyles Baptist Church but you're a pastor of a Southern Baptist Church that's close to you. Shows your priorities. 😎

😜😅🤣😉
Since there isn’t one close by, I may start one.
And my slogan will be one that was referenced on another post on this thread...”The difference is worth the drive”!
😊

Since there isn’t one close by, I may start one.
And my slogan will be one that was referenced on another post on this thread...”The difference is worth the drive”!
😊
Okay, but I would like to give you a little friendly counsel first by way of a question....

Where do you stand on the Greek correcting the English in our perfect Translation?

😁

Hyles threw shade at Falwell for going accredited and claimed he was becoming a compromising liberal and Hyles also claims that Falwell pioneered CCM music.
Tony Hutson is one of the few IFB bigwigs who never threw Falwell under the bus. He even applauded Falwell for "Being Different" even though Dr. Hutson didn't agree with Falwell on CCM/women wearing pants etc.

Hyles' other cronies (Larry Brown and Jack Trieber) continue on in Hyles' tradition of bad mouthing Falwell.
falwell pioneered CCM?..... well then i hate him already.... :mad: ..... but if jack hyles was against women wearing pants then i hate him too....:mad: ....... but i like the fact he inspired so many other churches to start bus ministries... so i can;t hate him completely....:unsure: .... ..but didn;t jack hyles preach a sermon once on why all christians should have a hate life?..... and in that sermon didn;t he go down a long list of things he hated that included little league baseball.... boy scouts... girl scouts and even girls being in any kinds of sports at all?.....:cautious: .....i bet he didn;t mention anything about hating girl scout cookies though.... did he?.....:sneaky: .. ... i can;t imagine tony hutson hating them either... .... the cookies that is.....

Last edited:
falwell pioneered CCM?..... well then i hate him already.... :mad: ..... but if jack hyles was against women wearing pants then i hate him too....:mad: ....... but i like the fact he inspired so many other churches to start bus ministries... so i can;t hate him completely....:unsure: .... ..but didn;t jack hyles preach a sermon once on why all christians should have a hate life?..... and in that sermon didn;t he go down a long list of things he hated that included little league baseball.... boy scouts... girl scouts and even girls being in any kinds of sports at all?.....:cautious: .....i bet he didn;t mention anything about hating girl scout cookies though.... did he?.....:sneaky: .. ... i can;t imagine tony hutson hating them either... ....... the cookies that is.....
Sorry, but Falwell DIDN'T pioneer CCM...JH was a fruit-loop who was always saying off the wall things like that! It started long before Falwell even started to promote it. I don't hate JH...as I've stated many times here, and on other forums and sites, if he hadn't been instrumental in getting the church that contacted and led my mother to the Lord through the bus ministry, I probably wouldn't be saved today, and neither would my family. Back in 1971, my mother was contacted by a bus captain from the local IFB church, and the gospel was presented to my mother. It took a few days, but, my mother accepted the Lord. We were on the bus for the first time that next Sunday. I was only 9 years old...fifty years ago. Hyles had been instrumental in getting our church to start a bus ministry. I'm thankful for that.
Now, Tony Hutson??? LOL He'll eat anything. At a fellowship at his church back in the 1990s, he went back to the serving line several times to fill his plate! He had a huge appetite then...so, I can imagine what it's like now! He didn't just take one dessert, but several different desserts several different times! I was so thankful when my wife admitted that SHE didn't want to become a member there either! :)

Well Bro Tony sure loves to eat. That's obvious. He's also a Hyles admirer just like Larry Brown and Jack Trieber are.

Hyles always seemed up to date on current events (top 40 music/movies/television series etc.). Hyles didn't want his people listening to Michael Jackson, Madona, Prince or whoever else was popular at the time but he sure knew the their songs. He probably listened to them in private but that's debatable. Tony Hutson also knows what's popular in music and starts belting out songs in his comedy routine and then makes light of contemporary worship saying it's worse than mainstream Top 40.

Hyles certainly did have a Don Rickles style approach and was sharp with his jokes. He also wasn't afraid to chastise people who disagreed with him or bash other IFB colleges. He didn't care for Pensacola and claimed they were liberal and how many times has Hyles said in sermons "going to the beach is a sin".

Sorry, but Falwell DIDN'T pioneer CCM...JH was a fruit-loop who was always saying off the wall things like that! It started long before Falwell even started to promote it. I don't hate JH...as I've stated many times here, and on other forums and sites, if he hadn't been instrumental in getting the church that contacted and led my mother to the Lord through the bus ministry, I probably wouldn't be saved today, and neither would my family. Back in 1971, my mother was contacted by a bus captain from the local IFB church, and the gospel was presented to my mother. It took a few days, but, my mother accepted the Lord. We were on the bus for the first time that next Sunday. I was only 9 years old...fifty years ago. Hyles had been instrumental in getting our church to start a bus ministry. I'm thankful for that.
Now, Tony Hutson??? LOL He'll eat anything. At a fellowship at his church back in the 1990s, he went back to the serving line several times to fill his plate! He had a huge appetite then...so, I can imagine what it's like now! He didn't just take one dessert, but several different desserts several different times! I was so thankful when my wife admitted that SHE didn't want to become a member there either! :)
Don't you find when preachers preach their own opinions it gets boring real quick. I want to hear the Bible not opinions because everyone has one.

Don't you find when preachers preach their own opinions it gets boring real quick. I want to hear the Bible not opinions because everyone has one.
I definitely find it not only boring, but ungodly and misleading towards the people one is shepherd over.

Hyles always seemed up to date on current events (top 40 music/movies/television series etc.). Hyles didn't want his people listening to Michael Jackson, Madona, Prince or whoever else was popular at the time but he sure knew the their songs. He probably listened to them in private but that's debatable.
You are full of made up balonga. Jacky-boy was always about 10-15 years behind the times as far as current culture in music, entertainers, etc. You are 30-40 years behind the times with regard to your hero on his own pedestal.