Jack Schaap FIRED!!!

Ijiwaru Sensei said:
His arrogance and demeanor should have been red flags.  Why do so many prefer the cocksure, over the top performance pastors to those who quietly and humbly open the Word of God?  Pastors who pretend to be above sin and proudly place themselves in the position of spiritual roll models should be wary.  Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

Well said.

This has already turned into a mess, and will just get worse.  I heard the lawyer Gibbs is flying in.  It seems there are  different stories going around.  One says the deacons fired Schaap and reported him to the police, but they don't think he did anything illegal. If you don't think he did anything illegal, then why involve the police?  I won't say what the other stories are because it is unclear at this point what really happened.

T-Bone said:
Who knows maybe this will open up an opportunity for Marty to move back up North! :eek: 8)

FBCH would do well to pray long and hard about who they want for a new senior pastor.

christundivided said:
1Co 10:11  Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
1Co 10:12  Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

He taught my two semesters of homiletics. I can still hear him, regarding this subject of sexual temptation and the ministry, saying solemnly, 'Run scared.' By that he meant have a healthy fear of your own flesh.

...the problem is, IMHO, almost certainly connected to the fact that, after years of public/private exaltation, he forgot to fear his own flesh. Instead, he fed it, nurturing his pride and ego on the adoration of his followers.

Thus ended the lesson.

Forget finding a replacement. There is nothing worth saving. They should just close the doors.

jimmudcatgrant said:
If you don't think he did anything illegal, then why involve the police?

In their defense, many of these stories get worse when the leadership decides to "investigate" the incident first. Kudos to them for quickly turning it over to the proper authorities.

I don't believe for a minute that many of these hirelings "accidentally" stumbled into an affair or child molestation.  It's one thing to give in to a weakness but to practice it for years on end until one is caught shows their true heart.  The only "repentance" forth coming is when they get caught.  Bob Gray was molesting children going all the way back to the 1940's!  Others were bellowing from the pulpit about sin and setting standards that they themselves laughed at in their own personal lives.  A large percentage of those now behind the pulpit need to resign and make an honest living.  At least Elmer Gantry showed true repentance in the final scene!

Elmer Gantry (1960).avi
Shirley Jones in "Elmer Gantry"
Elmer Gantry final scene

Tom Brennan said:
christundivided said:
1Co 10:11  Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.
1Co 10:12  Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

He taught my two semesters of homiletics. I can still hear him, regarding this subject of sexual temptation and the ministry, saying solemnly, 'Run scared.' By that he meant have a healthy fear of your own flesh.

...the problem is, IMHO, almost certainly connected to the fact that, after years of public/private exaltation, he forgot to fear his own flesh. Instead, he fed it, nurturing his pride and ego on the adoration of his followers.

Thus ended the lesson.

Tom, I believe you are right on here...and I have seen it first hand where the pastor started to believe their own hype and felt they were above falling or even being accountable for their sin....pride does come before the fall...a lesson for us all!

brianb said:
T-Bone said:
Who knows maybe this will open up an opportunity for Marty to move back up North! :eek: 8)

FBCH would do well to pray long and hard about who they want for a new senior pastor.

sigpic24_21TRB-1.jpg

T-Bone said:

He made a mistake???!!!!! He made an error???!!!!! No, he committed a grievous sin! One that gives the enemies of Christ cause to blaspheme. Good night, they are already talking about reconciliation!!! Shouldn't he repent first?

Ijiwaru Sensei said:
So is his name pronounced /shap/ or /shop/?

skop "rhymes with chop"