Jesus and Strippers

Your scripture does not say the temples were off limits. They suggest that participating in the activities/feasts of the temple was wrong.

Anchor said:
Assuming that Paul and the other apostles did not actually enter pagan temples for the purpose of the Gospel (and there is no evidence that they did), what biblical imperative is provided that the place to evangelize is in the "seat of the scornful" so to speak--the strip clubs, bars (gay or straight), neo-nazi or afro-centrist confabs, etc.?

I think you are stretching in your application of "seat of the scornful."  One could at least as properly claim that the one who criticizes the work of God, including evangelistic methods with which he disagrees, as "sitting in the seat of the scornful."

If I'm going to send my wife to evangelize in a strip club there had better be pretty strong biblical foundation for it as opposed to reaching those same lost through other venues.

First, I'm not sure whether it's more amusing or pathetic that you think you're in a position to "send" your wife anywhere, or by implication to forbid her from going anywhere.

Second, I think it's silly for alleged New Covenant believers to view Scripture as a rulebook.

NorrinRadd said:
First, I'm not sure whether it's more amusing or pathetic that you think you're in a position to "send" your wife anywhere, or by implication to forbid her from going anywhere.

I'm sure your wife has never "sent" you to the store to get a loaf of bread.

Twisted said:
NorrinRadd said:

I'm sure your wife has never "sent" you to the store to get a loaf of bread.

I see your point.  Still, I think in this context, one naturally sees the "send" more like Matt. 10:5, Luke 9:2, or John 20:21.  To me, the sense is rather different.

NorrinRadd said:
I think you are stretching in your application of "seat of the scornful."  One could at least as properly claim that the one who criticizes the work of God, including evangelistic methods with which he disagrees, as "sitting in the seat of the scornful."

Me thinks the nuances of rhetoric have quite escaped thee.  But welcome to the forum anyway.

FSSL said:
Problem. We don't have omniscience.

The fact that Jesus was at that well had implications.

Jesus sat and ate and drank with the scum of society, in their own context. The apostles hung around the pagan temples.

Our Christianity has become sanitized to such a degree that we have destroyed the inroads and bridges to evangelize our society.
With some sense of balance, and wisdom, being led of the Spirit.....
I have often found myself sharing the Gospel in situations where I "shouldnt" have been.

I led a friend to the Lord, in h.s., after we shared a joint.

He later came and was baptized.
Married his girlfriend.
Theyve been married for 20 years now.

He was a criminal prior to that.

I dont think hes been arrested for 20 years.

Just one example, I have a dozen more.

Big Key Point:

I didnt go to the headshop to witness, I was just a kid hanging out without any purpose, and God put me there, knowing who I really was inside.

On another occasion, I went into a biker bar at midnight, in the City, looking to get persecuted for Jesus.

The band leader was saved, and wanted people to hear the Gospel, so when I started preaching (after recieving permission),  he pointed to his mic, and said "there".

I told , the people that I wasnt there to call then sinners, that they already knew that we all were.
I said that , I knew some of them wouldnt come to church, so God sent me where they were.

10 people confessed Christ that night.

1 was the band leader's wife.

Men hugged me, and thanked me for coming out of my way.

Tears were in the eyes of bikers.

People outside asked me to re explain what I said inside, as they couldnt hear anything I said off mic.

I learned about how to approach sinners who know they are guilty that day....
certainly not with a message of condemnation.

I cannot but speak the things which I have seen and heard...

earnestly contend

Tim said:
Tomato is off in his own forum, and I haven't been active much since last week .... yet here we have an active thread about "nudity". LOL

The first mention of "nudity" is yours, Tim.

The thread is actually about pastors' wives bringing the Gospel to a class of marginalized people.

Anchor said:
NorrinRadd said:

Me thinks the nuances of rhetoric have quite escaped thee. 

Quite possibly.  And the subtlety of thy comment has  not helped me locate them.

But welcome to the forum anyway.

Thanks.

Tim said:
Tomato is off in his own forum, and I haven't been active much since last week .... yet here we have an active thread about "nudity". LOL

I don't recall reading anything in the thread about anyone being naked. Mind playing games on you again Tim?

Tim said:
You and I both know that the role of a stripper involves taking (stripping) one's clothes off for the sexual stimulation of others ... and while the word "nudity" was not mention ... clearly the objective of a stripper involves nudity.

That might be the objective of a stripper, but the objective of the thread was Christians evangelizing people. Keep your dirty mind to yourself, Timmeh!

We can adDRESS the topic of "nudity." There is no COVERUP of the topic.
We simply had a ROGUE poster who was BARELY able to discuss anything BUT the topic.
So, remain aBREAST of the topics being discussed here.

Tim said:
...they also have no business inside a strip club casually witnessing to dancers. The hand of compassion and grace can reach these entertainers without entering the building.

If you read the article, you will realize that these are women evangelizing women.
If given the opportunity, would you go backstage and witness to the Chippendales?

FSSL said:
We simply had a ROGUE poster who was BARELY able to discuss anything BUT the topic.

Groan!  :)

Tim said:
I wouldn't randomly visit and assume the Lord would open that door. It seems from the article they just showed up with some gifts and went backstage .... and I commend them for reaching out .... but it seems like you could reach any of these people in various ways outside their place of employment.

It appears you have two different standards. Again, would you ever, given the opportunity (just like these women) go backstage and witness to the Chippendales?

"And the master said to the servant, ?Go out to the highways and hedges and compel people to come in, that my house may be filled."
The pastor's wives were being obedient to the Lord's teaching . Much like the Pharisees who were offended that the Lord was feasting with sinners, or allowing a certain woman to come wipe her tears on his feet. Some here are showing the same  attitude. Especially when they get their righteousness in what they don't do but rather what the Savior did. I applaud these women for stepping out and doing the Lord's calling. The Pharisees/Fundies would rather see these women wither in their sins with little or no compassion for them.

Tim said:
FSSL said:
We simply had a poster who was BARELY able to discuss anything BUT the topic.

That would be my contribution, as expressed before in other threads ... Just as a Christian has no business watching an R rated film with nudity, they also have no business inside a strip club casually witnessing to dancers. The hand of compassion and grace can reach these entertainers without entering the building.

You missed the entire context of the encounter with the ladies employed by the strip club. No one was naked. No one was dancing. No pastor's wife viewed nakedness or dancing.

Learn

To

Read

PLEASE!

Tarheel Baptist said:
FSSL said:

Groan!  :)

You are just jealous that he beat you to it.  ;D

Tim said:
Honestly, I don't feel a call right now to reach Chippendales at their place of employment.

That wasn't the question. There are many things that get left undone for the cause of Christ because people do not "feel a call."

If I had access, there would be no hesitation on my part to evangelize these men. In fact, I have witnessed to other men in the locker room at an athletic club I attended.

Tim said:
I wouldn't randomly visit and assume the Lord would open that door.

So you didn't read the article. Now your nonsense almost makes sense.

Tim said:
Recovering IFB said:
"And the master said to the servant, ?Go out to the highways and hedges and compel people to come in, that my house may be filled."
The pastor's wives were being obedient to the Lord's teaching . Much like the Pharisees who were offended that the Lord was feasting with sinners, or allowing a certain woman to come wipe her tears on his feet. Some here are showing the same  attitude. Especially when they get their righteousness in what they don't do but rather what the Savior did. I applaud these women for stepping out and doing the Lord's calling. The Pharisees/Fundies would rather see these women wither in their sins with little or no compassion for them.

You might be right. I don't disagree with anyone wanting to reach these people. I just don't know if their place of employment is a "highway or hedge" ....
Actually, it is. It's the uttermost parts of the Earth. Where do you go then to meet the downtrodden? Where do you go to meet the drug addicts? Do you open your church doors and wait for them to come in? Of course if they are properly dressed..