Joe Combs and "sheveral vershies"

Allen45Fan said:
I had Bro. Laurent for Old & New Testament Survey. He taught from a red 3 ring binder.  Had to know all key words, Key verse, and theme of each book. That was in 74.  Had Bro Combs for Daniel & Revelation. Only classes I had trouble with was English with Bro. Johnson and took Minor Prophets in summer school with Dr Fair. He would always give a pop quiz or a test and say " this is a fair test" Funny how you remember things that far back but cant remember what you read last night. I didn't find out till later that Bro Combs used Wiersbe notes.

I think that many of his former students used his notes as teaching material of their own.  I know that when Tim Harrell began teaching Bible at HBHS in the early 80's, he used Joe Combs' outlines but never gave credit to Combs.  Some of the HBers' dads were students at HAC, and they started comparing outlines--Harrell's vs Combs.  IDENTICAL! 

Baptist City Holdout said:
Alert to all: Check out the YMBAH Thread for a reference to JC.

BCH, you need to share that story on this thread.  :)

RAIDER said:
Baptist City Holdout said:
Alert to all: Check out the YMBAH Thread for a reference to JC.

BCH, you need to share that story on this thread.  :)

If you can.  It's still hard to access threads over there.

Allen45Fan said:
What is YMBAH?

You Might Be A Hacker if.... based on the Jeff Foxworthy comedy routine, You Might Be A Redneck if.  Epic thread.  Totally epic. :)

My own thoughts on Combs.... 

Yeah, thinking back on me sitting in so many of his classes, knowing now that in the morning before class he was raping Esther, slapping her around, torturing her a little, cleaning himself up, and then driving over to the college to teach me the Bible... I wouldn't give five flying rats' behinds for his pithy comments and quotes.

And yes, I know we are all sinful, but 'evil' is a step up and I have no desire to bring to mind quotes from an evil human being in my holy and meditative moments.  Or really at all.

Evelyn said:
Allen45Fan said:
What is YMBAH?

You Might Be A Hacker if.... based on the Jeff Foxworthy comedy routine, You Might Be A Redneck if.  Epic thread.  Totally epic. :)

Yeah, thinking back on me sitting in so many of his classes, knowing now that in the morning before class he was raping Esther, slapping her around, torturing her a little, cleaning himself up, and then driving over to the college to teach me the Bible... I wouldn't give five flying rats' behinds for his pithy comments and quotes.

And yes, I know we are all sinful, but 'evil' is a step up and I have no desire to bring to mind quotes from an evil human being in my holy and meditative moments.  Or really at all.
Thank You.  I find it interesting that Combs was an outspoken critic of the KJO position, from a 'what not to be' case study p.o.v., but who cares if he accidentally made sense once.

Anishinabe

prophet said:
Evelyn said:
Allen45Fan said:
What is YMBAH?

Thank You.  I find it interesting that Combs was an outspoken critic of the KJO position, from a 'what not to be' case study p.o.v., but who cares if he accidentally made sense once.

Anishinabe

And yet Ed Reese also held that POV about the KJVO position and lo and behold, he did none of those things Combs was arrested for. Guess it can't be the anti-KJVO position that causes corruption!

Evelyn said:
Allen45Fan said:
What is YMBAH?

I totally agreee...but you said it better!

Smellin Coffee said:
prophet said:
Evelyn said:
Allen45Fan said:
What is YMBAH?

Anishinabe

And yet Ed Reese also held that POV about the KJVO position and low and behold, he did none of those things Combs was arrested for. Guess it can't be the anti-KJVO position that causes corruption!
That's your guess, fwiw. 

Anishinabe

prophet said:
Evelyn said:
Allen45Fan said:
What is YMBAH?

Anishinabe

Bob Gray (Jacksonville, FL) was KJVO wasn't he? Does that mean that being KJVO makes one molest children?

Don't forget IFBx golden boy and former pastor of Open Door Baptist Church (which has merged with Miller Road Baptist Church) Matthew Jerrell. Wasn't he a big KJVO?

Boomer said:
Bob Gray (Jacksonville, FL) was KJVO wasn't he? Does that mean that being KJVO makes one molest children?

To everyone in general, why would one's adherence to either a KJVO or non-KJVO preference determine one's predilection to perversion?  My husband leans more KJVO and I lean more non-KJVO - does that make one of us perverted?  (Raider, you may not respond to this message lolol)

Boomer said:
prophet said:
Evelyn said:
Allen45Fan said:
What is YMBAH?

Anishinabe

IDK, but  I still find it interesting.

Anishinabe

bgwilkinson said:
Don't forget IFBx golden boy and former pastor of Open Door Baptist Church (which has merged with Miller Road Baptist Church) Matthew Jerrell. Wasn't he a big KJVO?
He was something.

Anishinabe