Living right to get something from God....????

• Thread starter christundivided
  • Start date
It pretty much boils down to this: are you doing the right thing simply because it's the right thing to do or because you are expecting something from it?

The first option is noble. The second one is selfishness disguised as altruism.

Tom Brennan said:
christundivided said:
I have a friend that is trying to be an extraordinary "Christian" to try to get "something" from God. It doesn't matter "what that something is". Its not a possession or something that comes because of covetousness. Yet, it is very important to "them".

First, I would like to ask how you feel about this?

Um, this passage comes to mind (along with several dozen others about blessing being tied directly to our actions):

3 ¶  Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4  Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
5  Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
6  Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
7  Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
8  Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
9  Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
10  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
12  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Hey brother those are called the "be"attitudes, not the "do"attitudes!  :) 8)

Hey brother those are called the "be"attitudes, not the "do"attitudes!

Right on! 

lnf said:

Right on!

Before I got saved and read the Bible and had any idea what was in it, some woman told me her son was studying the beatitudes.  I seriously asked her what the A. Attitudes were. 

T-Bone said:
Tom Brennan said:
T-Bone said:
If we believe that everything we receive from God is by His grace...what could we ever do to merit something from Him?  Right living is a result of the grace of God, not a means to get Him to give more grace.

So you can live wrong and get something from God? You don't believe that, I know, but that is the corollary of your position. No, my friend, one can live right in order to get something from God and it still be all about grace. After all, where do you get the strength to live right for God if not from God Himself. The knock against a view like mine (that God puts 'recipes' in the Bible that, when followed, bring blessing) is that such an approach is not of grace. Nonsense. It most certainly is. But it just as most certainly is God honoring His Word and bringing the promised blessing as a result of meeting His conditions.

If that is what you got out of what I said either I didn't communicate it or you didn't comprehended it.  Everything in the Christian life flows from a life surrendered to God.  Our right living comes from the Holy Spirit being in control, not by our fleshly efforts to do right.  Blessing begat blessings, so as I walk in the Spirit blessing will be the result.  The OP clearly speaks of human effort to somehow obligate God to give us something for our good acts.  There is nothing good in your flesh, so if you in your flesh attempt to do good...it can't happen.  It only happens in the Holy Spirit and Him working in and through us bring the blessings of God.  Anything less is just human effort that can never be acceptable to Him.

Amen

T-Bone said:
Hey brother those are called the "be"attitudes, not the "do"attitudes!  :) 8)

If you are something you'll do something... ;)

The Rogue Tomato said:
lnf said:

Right on!

Before I got saved and read the Bible and had any idea what was in it, some woman told me her son was studying the beatitudes.  I seriously asked her what the A. Attitudes were.

The A. Attitudes are those of HAC, because we are greater! ;D

Quote of the day:  'Someone may go to Hell because you didn't make something for the bakesale!'

Anishinabe

prophet said:
Quote of the day:  'Someone may go to Hell because you didn't make something for the bakesale!'

Anishinabe
Let me guess...
Roger Casteel?

The Rogue Tomato said:
lnf said:

Right on!

As ayoung Christian I wasn't up on my bible pronuciations and asked my wife about the book of "Muh-la-chee". She stared at me wondering what I was talking about. Then I showed it to her. "Oh Mal-uh-kI". Now we refer to him as the Italian prophet!  ;D

subllibrm said:
As ayoung Christian I wasn't up on my bible pronuciations and asked my wife about the book of "Muh-la-chee". She stared at me wondering what I was talking about. Then I showed it to her. "Oh Mal-uh-kI". Now we refer to him as the Italian prophet!  ;D

Ok.  I know I have heard that story as a sermon starter - get the crowd laughing - story.  But I can't recall who used it.  Hmmmmm....

Binaca Chugger said:
subllibrm said:

Ok.  I know I have heard that story as a sermon starter - get the crowd laughing - story.  But I can't recall who used it.  Hmmmmm....

I am sure that I am not the only person to ever mispronounce the name but it was new to my wife and her family at the time.

Tom Brennan said:
T-Bone said:
If we believe that everything we receive from God is by His grace...what could we ever do to merit something from Him?  Right living is a result of the grace of God, not a means to get Him to give more grace.

So you can live wrong and get something from God? You don't believe that, I know, but that is the corollary of your position. No, my friend, one can live right in order to get something from God and it still be all about grace. After all, where do you get the strength to live right for God if not from God Himself. The knock against a view like mine (that God puts 'recipes' in the Bible that, when followed, bring blessing) is that such an approach is not of grace. Nonsense. It most certainly is. But it just as most certainly is God honoring His Word and bringing the promised blessing as a result of meeting His conditions.

I like what rsc2a said, "I would also add that it is not wrong to have desires and affections for "somethings". It is when those desires take precedence over one's desire for more of God."

Mr. Brennan, you may not be saying this but it does sound as though you are saying, that a person is able to MANIPULATE God. 

II Corinthians 8:5
And this they did, not as we hoped, but first gave their own selves to the Lord, and unto us by the will of God.

I believe blessing come from a relationship with God, it's a heart attitude.
If a person says "O I need this, so I will start living this way" that my friend is wrong.  And as I said God can not be manipulated. 

Psalms 37:4
Delight thyself also in the Lord: and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

God knows if your DELIGHT is for Him or for SOMETHING. 

subllibrm said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
lnf said:

Right on!

LOL!  Also known as Father Guido Muhlachee.

16KJV11 said:
prophet said:

Anishinabe
Let me guess...
Roger Casteel?
Close.  One of the division leaders, during his regime.

Anishinabe

Binaca Chugger said:
subllibrm said:

Jack Patterson used to tell it.

Anishinabe

I wish I had time to read this whole thread but I don't, so...I will probably just be repeating what someone else has said but seriously, I think it's in our DNA to think we can somehow please God with good life and in turn, get something special from Him.

I have a daughter with incurable brain cancer.  To think I might be able to bargain with God to spare her life is something I battle on a daily basis, and trust me, there isn't a mountain I wouldn't scale or life I wouldn't live if I thought God would bless me with this prayer.  But I know, in my Spirit, that God's ways are so far above mine that for Him to be able to be "bargained with" or someone I were able to "earn" His goodness would be putting God in a box..  Doesn't mean I don't fight it though............like I said, it's in my DNA.

Grace. Mercy.

We just don't truly understand God at all sometimes.

Marji said:
I wish I had time to read this whole thread but I don't, so...I will probably just be repeating what someone else has said but seriously, I think it's in our DNA to think we can somehow please God with good life and in turn, get something special from Him.

I have a daughter with incurable brain cancer.  To think I might be able to bargain with God to spare her life is something I battle on a daily basis, and trust me, there isn't a mountain I wouldn't scale or life I wouldn't live if I thought God would bless me with this prayer.  But I know, in my Spirit, that God's ways are so far above mine that for Him to be able to be "bargained with" or someone I were able to "earn" His goodness would be putting God in a box..  Doesn't mean I don't fight it though............like I said, it's in my DNA.

Grace. Mercy.

We just don't truly understand God at all sometimes.

You're exactly right....I would do the same thing.

I'm sure you know this.... but you're life has eternal connection to your daughter. That connection will never end. Its eternally secure in our Lord. Its more than just your DNA. Its in eternally rooted in the Love of God.

Marji said:
To think I might be able to bargain with God to spare her life is something I battle on a daily basis, and trust me, there isn't a mountain I wouldn't scale or life I wouldn't live if I thought God would bless me with this prayer. 

For what it's worth, bargaining with God and attempting to get a blessing by "living right" are two different things.  There are biblical examples of bargaining with God.  I'm not sure how that works, since God knows and plans everything according to his own will, but the examples are there. 

I'm not suggesting anything regarding your situation, just making an academic observation.