Man do I miss those days of Braemer, Beaumont & Brennan on here....

Escapee

Elect
Reaction score
This place was hopping ever day and I was taking their lunch money!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Where is Marty now?  Isn't he back in the ministry somewhere?

Edwards said:

http://www.plainchurch.com

Escapee said:
Twisted said:
Edwards said:

http://www.plainchurch.com

Sure looks like he has gone liberal! :)

Well, since he left NY, he was more of an evangelical than a fundamentalist.  He was drifting down the compromise road, and I'm not at all surprised.

Escapee said:
This place was hopping ever day and I was taking their lunch money!  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

They sure owned you

:) :)

PS: How ya been doing? Long time no hear.

Bob H said:
Escapee said:

They sure owned you

LOL. Yes they did! We had some interesting debates didn't we? Doing great. How have you been?

Escapee said:
Bob H said:
Escapee said:

They sure owned you

LOL. Yes they did! We had some interesting debates didn't we? Doing great. How have you been?

Doing good. Retired a few yrs back. Though I'm not gaining pounds I'm getting lazy and need to exercise more. The grand peeps keep me busy though.

Walt said:
Well, since he left NY, he was more of an evangelical than a fundamentalist.  He was drifting down the compromise road, and I'm not at all surprised.

First you get caught in an affair, and the next thing you know, you're compromising your theological standards and spinning rock and/or roll records on drive-time radio. ;)

Ransom said:
Walt said:

First you get caught in an affair, and the next thing you know, you're compromising your theological standards and spinning rock and/or roll records on drive-time radio. ;)

Heh... but there is a lot of truth here.

Usually, music standards slide or are just not that important anymore; then, the doctrines begin to slide as well. 

But being new evangelical isn't connected with adultery.

Walt said:
Ransom said:
Walt said:

Usually, music standards slide or are just not that important anymore; then, the doctrines begin to slide as well. 

No, the old fundamentalist is much more ?connected to adultery?.

Many, many IBF pastors have overcome adultery and immorality to continue their ?ministry careers?.
Marty, a blatant adulterer who then continued to meddle and undermine his former church committed the unpardonable IFB sin...he compromised on the non Biblical fundamentals of the IFB faith. KJVO, music standards, pants on women and drums and screens in the auditorium.

Adultery is, after all only adultery....but how dare he stray from the really important stuff.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Adultery is, after all only adultery....but how dare he stray from the really important stuff.

https://youtu.be/SGonzl18fLc

Walt said:
Ransom said:
Walt said:

What? "Music standards slide then doctrine begins to slide as well?" What a broad brushing statemtent.  Remember the key word here is "standards" which is not a biblical term and is so subjective in the IFB world. My preferences become the worlds standards!

Walt said:

An observation from a guy that has seen a lot of ministries over a lot of years:  when there is a dramatic, relatively sudden shift in a ministry (particularly church) practice in the important (not necessarily doctrinal) periphery issues that still identify  the ministries' philosophy, and that change is not preceded by significant preparation in the teaching and preaching, there is generally a morality issue that has been ongoing and not overcome.  Certainly not a hard and fast rule, but the 2 are connected far more than I would have suspected when I first started in ministry some 40 years ago. 

Anchor said:
Walt said:

An observation from a guy that has seen a lot of ministries over a lot of years:  when there is a dramatic, relatively sudden shift in a ministry (particularly church) practice in the important (not necessarily doctrinal) periphery issues that still identify  the ministries' philosophy, and that change is not preceded by significant preparation in the teaching and preaching, there is generally a morality issue that has been ongoing and not overcome.  Certainly not a hard and fast rule, but the 2 are connected far more than I would have suspected when I first started in ministry some 40 years ago.

So did immorality cause the break from IFB ?orthodoxy? or did the break from said ?orthodoxy? cause immorality? Not to mention the culture of immorality prevalent among some well known IFB true believers.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Anchor said:
Walt said:

So did immorality cause the break from IFB ?orthodoxy? or did the break from said ?orthodoxy? cause immorality? Not to mention the culture of immorality prevalent among some well known IFB true believers.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tarheel Baptist said:

My take, which has some depth of knowledge in a number of individual cases, is that when they ceased the struggle concerning their immorality (i.e., justified their activity at least in their own mind) then they changed their previous identifiers in order to ease the internal conflict.  Anecdotal for sure, but not just a shot in the dark. 

Escapee said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Anchor said:
Walt said:

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Both of these could be symptoms of a heart that is growing cold towards God.

Escapee said:
Walt said:
Ransom said:
Walt said:

What? "Music standards slide then doctrine begins to slide as well?" What a broad brushing statemtent.  Remember the key word here is "standards" which is not a biblical term and is so subjective in the IFB world. My preferences become the worlds standards!

I agree that it is broad brushing -- I'm just commenting on a pattern I've seen repeat over and over again: (1) The music begins to change, usually in the special music: Singers and musicians are unhappy just singing/playing from the hymnal, so they go elsewhere to find music. It may have a worldly sound, which is toned down so as not to offend.  But the music gets "edgier" and more of a contemporary sound, even while preaching against contemporary music.  (2) The drift continues and some people start to leave  (3) the church begins to relax the standards they have preached against for a long time (4) The church removes "Baptist" from their name  (5) All the fundamental doctrines begin to slide

If you don't like standards, we could substitute the Biblical word "doctrine".

I've seen repeatedly that the doctrine concerning things "that aren't that critical" (music, dress) begins to change, and then more and more things begin to fall into the "not that critical" or "non-essentials" list.