PCC Cancels Singers Appearance Because One Is Gay

illinoisguy

Elect
Reaction score
There is a big fuss over Pensacola canceling an appearance of a British group called the King's Singers because of the gay lifestyle of one of the singers. A no-win situation for PCC - they paid the performers anyway for the canceled gig. They would have been heavily criticized by their own constituency if they had allowed the performance to proceed, just as Bob Jones University was savaged years ago by David Cloud and many others for having the gay crooners called "Cantus" appear on campus.

"Students, parents and staff members had complained to the administration, saying that hosting the group would run counter to the college’s Baptist values."

Looks like this decision is creating dissension among the student body. I don't wish to take sides, but it seems to me that the PCC administration did what they had to do, to be consistent with their fundamentalist values.

"WEAR News on Tuesday spoke to a sophomore Pensacola Christian College student, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of retribution. 'It's a pretty toxic situation right here currently,' the student said. 'It's just getting very stressful with this situation going on.' The student says opinions on the concert cancellation are split among students right now. 'Kids are always talking about it before class starts and whatnot,' the student said. 'There have been arguments and mini protests that happened on campus. It's just been a very hostile environment to be honest.'"

Last edited:
Looks like this decision is creating dissension among the student body. I don't wish to take sides, but it seems to me that the PCC administration did what they had to do, to be consistent with their fundamentalist values.
I'd support PCC on this one.

I'd support PCC on this one.
I disagree. The group was only there to perform music, not teach politics or a lifestyle. This is no different than politically liberal colleges refusing to allow a conservative speaker on campus because some snowflakes begin to complain and protest.

I disagree. The group was only there to perform music, not teach politics or a lifestyle. This is no different than politically liberal colleges refusing to allow a conservative speaker on campus because some snowflakes begin to complain and protest.
You're entitled to your opinion.

There will be honest differences of opinions as to whether PCC did the right thing to cancel this concert. My guess is that most of the churches and parents that send students and money to PCC will approve of this decision, and that relatively few PCC supporters will be miffed by it. But then again, I could be wrong.

Had PCC allowed the concert to proceed, they might have had to deal with unfavorable coverage such as BJU received when they hosted the Cantus singers in 2015:

"Homosexuals Perform at Bob Jones University . . . This probably does represent a further drift and a sad milestone for the school. . . . Sharing the gospel (assuming they do that) does not justify bringing unbelievers and mockers of God's holy laws on campus to entertain Bible students." - David Cloud, "O Timothy," March 2015, p. 13.

"Bob Jones University Knowingly Hosts Musical Group For Artist Series Concert That Includes Sodomites, Beer Drinkers, and Occultists. . . . the ungodly moral stance of this group was not only pre-known to BJU, but that Cantus' wicked immoral stance was publicly promoted in the Cantus website that BJU included in its official Cantus pre-appearance publicity release. . . . For Biblical Fundamentalists and also Bible-believing parents who have students at BJU or who were planning to send students there, this should be the last straw." - Don Jasmin, "Fundamentalist Digest," April-May 2015, p. 9.

The PCC administration had to make a quick decision as to whether they wanted to have to deal with this kind of adverse publicity from within their fundamentalist constituency that they depend on for support, and evidently they decided that they would rather not deal with it. (The "Fundamentalist Digest" is no longer published - Don Jasmin is incapacitated by old age and is no longer able to publish).

Had PCC allowed the concert to proceed, they might have had to deal with unfavorable coverage such as BJU received when they hosted the Cantus singers in 2015:
Are you serious? There’s an article in the freaking New York Times about this…they look petty and kooky right now.

I'm just guessing here, but I suppose that PCC receives more contributions from David Cloud followers, than from people who read the lefty New York Times and who accept "all the news that fits their tint." :cool: I personally do not endorse or support PCC, but I recognize that they have to do what they have to do, if they are going to maintain their base of support and stay in business. I don't think that very many hard-core PCC supporters are going to stop giving because they got bad-mouthed in the New York Times - they would probably consider it a badge of honor.

I'm just guessing here, but I suppose that PCC receives more contributions from David Cloud followers, than from people who read the lefty New York Times and who accept "all the news that fits their tint." :cool: I personally do not endorse or support PCC, but I recognize that they have to do what they have to do, if they are going to maintain their base of support and stay in business. I don't think that very many hard-core PCC supporters are going to stop giving because they got bad-mouthed in the New York Times - they would probably consider it a badge of honor.
This group had already performed at PCC a couple previous times without incident. This was silly. It was an a cappella performance. No promotion of gay rights or anything of the sort. Do you think there aren’t gay students (and likely even faculty) already at PCC? In the closet perhaps, but still in attendance.

Why would an institution
This group had already performed at PCC a couple previous times without incident. This was silly. It was an a cappella performance. No promotion of gay rights or anything of the sort. Do you think there aren’t gay students (and likely even faculty) already at PCC? In the closet perhaps, but still in attendance.
I have no idea who the group is or what kind of music they sing.
If its a ‘secular’ group making a fine arts type presentation then you may have a point.
But if they purport to be a Christian group then no self respecting Biblically based organization should have them.

Why would an institution

I have no idea who the group is or what kind of music they sing.
If its a ‘secular’ group making a fine arts type presentation then you may have a point.
But if they purport to be a Christian group then no self respecting Biblically based organization should have them.
They’re secular.

Are you arguing PCC should have allowed them to play in spite of PCC’s own convictions, and is your contention on a legal, ethical, or pragmatic basis?

They’re secular.
Then they could have, in my personal opinion, allowed the concert to go forward.

But if I were in a position to make the decision I wouldn’t even give the appearance of lending support to a sinful lifestyle that is currently being crammed down our throat‘s by the culture.

Are you arguing PCC should have allowed them to play in spite of PCC’s own convictions, and is your contention on a legal, ethical, or pragmatic basis?
I’m not Huk….I‘m smarter and better looking than he is😊…but my question would be why they didn’t know this until the day of the concert.

In the past, our church has invited community and school groups in on Sunday evenings during the Christmas season for ‘Holiday concerts’ after which we briefly share our ministry and a brief gospel presentation. We know going in what we are doing and that the lifestyle of the performers may be biblically questionable. But we would NEVER have those people in for a church service or any semblance of a ministry presentation.

Yes. All of the above plus add biblical to your options.

personally do not endorse or support PCC, but I recognize that they have to do what they have to do, if they are going to maintain their base of support and stay in business.
Instead of a move to keep their constituency happy, how 'bout this being a move of principle and conscience?

We are in days when churches are being pressured to bow the knee to baal on the altar of perversion. Many will cave.

Homosexuals ought not be excluded from hearing the Gospel but we aren't doing them or us any favors by failing to teach what the Bible says about their behavior.

Last edited:
Yes. All of the above plus add biblical to your options.
Lol, you’re not a very good libertarian, nor an honest Baptist 😉

I’m not Huk….I‘m smarter and better looking than he is😊…but my question would be why they didn’t know this until the day of the concert.
Haha…but anyway they had performed in the past, until someone got their underwear in a wad.

That’s one of the first things I thought of as well, but to be fair to PCC they may not have been aware in time to make an advanced/informed choice. My guess is they will use this as a learning lesson and adopt measures closer to what you have described.