PCC Cancels Singers Appearance Because One Is Gay

Word is they had performed several times before at PCC without issue. They had passed the background checks and everything was approved in the past. Since their last performance one member of the group has become very vocal on social media about his views and his lifestyle. I heard he has become somewhat of an influencer. Having them perform would have appeared they agreed with his new social media positions. The screw up was not doing their homework because they had been approved before.

Someone should be fired or at least reprimanded for not following their standard background checks just because they had performed before.

Bad publicity from the New York Time does not equate to a negative from their IB supporting churches. I suspect students who do not agree with the schools positions on issues like this are encouraged to transfer.

If they had not paid the group then it would have looked bad but they paid them in full. They did exactly what they had to under the circumstances.

The Kings singers released this in a statement.

"Our belief is that music can build a common language that allows people with different views and perspectives to come together"

"We are disappointed not to have been able to share our music and our mission of finding harmony with over 4,000 students of the college and the wider Pensacola community. We hope that any conversations that follow might encourage a greater sense of love, acceptance and inclusion."

Hypoethetically, if I were a student at PCC, I could only bring my classical music library with me--which is roughly 10% of my entire collection.

As far as I'm concerned, if I can't listen to Christian music, made by Christians, on campus, even privately through headphones, they can't justify bringing a secular chorale either.

If they had not paid the group then it would have looked bad but they paid them in full. They did exactly what they had to under the circumstances.
They'd have been in breach of contract which would have been a whole lot messier.

Again, I don't know what they're doing bringing in a secular group. The PCC I knew (80s and 90s) would not have brought in anything but sacred groups for this very reason. Now, if they decided to participate in a secular event not of their hosting, the inclusion of such a group wouldn't be so easily hung on them.

In this day and age, I'm pretty sure my own church would be careful about who they agree to host as I am sure PCC will now be.

They'd have been in breach of contract which would have been a whole lot messier.

Again, I don't know what they're doing bringing in a secular group. The PCC I knew (80s and 90s) would not have brought in anything but sacred groups for this very reason. Now, if they decided to participate in a secular event not of their hosting, the inclusion of such a group wouldn't be so easily hung on them.

In this day and age, I'm pretty sure my own church would be careful about who they agree to host as I am sure PCC will now be.
I think your overall point about PCC is salient here, but there is a slight distinction to be made regarding them being a college vs a church (in regards to standards for musical presentations IMHO).

I think your overall point about PCC is salient here, but there is a slight distinction to be made regarding them being a college vs a church (in regards to standards for musical presentations IMHO).
Whether they are a church or a college, they are accountable to the same God.

Whether they are a church or a college, they are accountable to the same God.
Agreed, especially in regards to following their conscience, but I was delineating how standards for ministry in the church may vary slightly regarding the goals and prerogatives of a Christian college/education.

The latest on the King's Singers brouhaha:

"The controversy has resonated both within the small liberal arts college and beyond. Fans and supporters of the group questioned PCC’s reasoning, mentioning the college’s performances in recent years of works by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and Francis Poulenc, two classical music titans widely known to have had male romantic interests. Supporters of the college commended the institution’s commitment to its interpretation of the Bible, which it calls 'the foundation for our sincerely held beliefs.' On the PCC campus, the incident is still fresh on students’ minds. One student told WEAR News there have been 'arguments and mini protests' in the days since."

I personally have never been a fan or supporter of Pensacola Christian College, but I think we should be appreciative of PCC's willingness to take a stand against immorality, even though they knew it would bring down upon them the wrath of the trendy cancel-culture woke lynch mob, the LGBGQX!? promoters, and the New York Times.

Is PCC a college or a church? I thought they were both - isn't the Campus Church a wholly-owned subsidiary of PCC?

If their concert was an exercise in the appreciation of art (as Tchaikovsky would be) as a part of educational pursuits then the decision is a bit more tricky as to the cancellation but if it was a function of a worship service then it is clear enough to me the right choice was made.

There is a big fuss over Pensacola canceling an appearance of a British group called the King's Singers because of the gay lifestyle of one of the singers. A no-win situation for PCC - they paid the performers anyway for the canceled gig. They would have been heavily criticized by their own constituency if they had allowed the performance to proceed, just as Bob Jones University was savaged years ago by David Cloud and many others for having the gay crooners called "Cantus" appear on campus.

"Students, parents and staff members had complained to the administration, saying that hosting the group would run counter to the college’s Baptist values."

Looks like this decision is creating dissension among the student body. I don't wish to take sides, but it seems to me that the PCC administration did what they had to do, to be consistent with their fundamentalist values.

"WEAR News on Tuesday spoke to a sophomore Pensacola Christian College student, who asked to remain anonymous for fear of retribution. 'It's a pretty toxic situation right here currently,' the student said. 'It's just getting very stressful with this situation going on.' The student says opinions on the concert cancellation are split among students right now. 'Kids are always talking about it before class starts and whatnot,' the student said. 'There have been arguments and mini protests that happened on campus. It's just been a very hostile environment to be honest.'"

I'm not going to subscribe to their stupid paper in order to read the article.

Is the singer "Out and Proud" or is it just a rumor that won't go away?

If it is the former, how did PCC NOT KNOW that one of their singers was openly gay and why would they book them anyway?

PCC did the right thing by paying them after cancelling the concert. Would've likely have been a huge lawsuit and they would've been well within their right.

I wouldn't want an "Openly Gay" singer performing at any Bible College of which I had oversight so I will happily stand by PCC on this.

If this were a Catholic forum, I’d personally order each of you to fetch a whip and immediately commence the act of self-flagellation until your conscience was satisfied.

What kind of testimony is it to the unsaved gay guy to cancel his group’s booking two hours before the show because of what he does in his private life? Would the same be done to a straight guy living with a girl out of wedlock?

Are you familiar with the verse John 8:7?

What kind of testimony is it to the unsaved gay guy to cancel his group’s booking two hours before the show because of what he does in his private life?
They got paid, regardless. I'd say that's a pretty good testimony.

Would the same be done to a straight guy living with a girl out of wedlock?

Living together is not done "in private." People can see you come and go from the same dwelling.

Does it actually matter to you whether he does his deed in private or public?

Does it actually matter to you whether he does his deed in private or public?
Not really. A college education, even Christian, shouldn’t treat a gay a cappella singer like he’s contagious.

Not really. A college education, even Christian, shouldn’t treat a gay a cappella singer like he’s contagious.
Contagious? Hyperbolic emotionally loaded shame speech, you have learned well at the feet of your secular professors😉

Is there any public profligacy that would be worthy of disassociation in your mind?

Is there any public profligacy that would be worthy of disassociation in your mind?
Let’s start here: Would you be accepting of a gay couple visiting your church? (I didn’t say joining as members).

Let’s start here: Would you be accepting of a gay couple visiting your church? (I didn’t say joining as members).
Would they be sitting in respectful attendance to the preaching of God’s word or leading congregational worship via an ensemble?

By the way, you sidestepped the seriousness of my question. Is that indicative of your capitulation to rhetoric from the current cultural zeitgeist relating to LGBTQ issues?