PCC Cancels Singers Appearance Because One Is Gay

ZB

Don't let the abruptness of this place scare you away, stick around and you may one day feel at home.

We have un-official correspondents at most Christian colleges, and sometimes at big events, who keep us informed. If your up to the job I'd like to offer the open PCC correspondent position. You can keep us posted on all the going-ons in northern Florida and show up from time to time to set us all straight. You can also get some of your friends to post in the PCC Forum because the numbers are down.

Always remember, no matter what they tell you, it's all about the numbers!!!​

Good on you for this apology and clarifying response👍🏻

As far as the main issue of PCC’s cancellation of the group are you saying their choice was wrong mainly because they made it with only hours before the performance, or would you say that they shouldn’t have cancelled them regardless of when they discovered that the group had a flamboyant homosexual?
Aleshanee asked a similar question which made me do some reflecting, and I think my main issue was from a business perspective, not a moral one.

As a Christian institution, they probably did the right thing. But, that being said, to cancel two hours before the concert due to finding one guy’s gay social media, was (in my opinion), inconsiderate to the both the group and the ticket holders. (The act of paying them is of little consequence to me. They likely would have faced litigation and lost in court due to the school’s reasoning for canceling and the fact it was only two hours beforehand.)

I seriously doubt more than a small handful of people even knew one of the singers was gay. Now, of course, the whole world knows. If it’s that big of a deal if a singer from a visiting group is gay, then the school needs to just prohibit all non-Christian performers in the future and have an employee dedicated to scrubbing every visitor’s social media prior to bookings.

Aleshanee asked a similar question which made me do some reflecting, and I think my main issue was from a business perspective, not a moral one.

As a Christian institution, they probably did the right thing. But, that being said, to cancel two hours before the concert due to finding one guy’s gay social media, was (in my opinion), inconsiderate to the both the group and the ticket holders. (The act of paying them is of little consequence to me. They likely would have faced litigation and lost in court due to the school’s reasoning for canceling and the fact it was only two hours beforehand.)

I seriously doubt more than a small handful of people even knew one of the singers was gay. Now, of course, the whole world knows. If it’s that big of a deal if a singer from a visiting group is gay, then the school needs to just prohibit all non-Christian performers in the future and have an employee dedicated to scrubbing every visitor’s social media prior to bookings.
I definitely think PCC put themselves behind the 8 ball on this one. Hopefully, lesson learned.

This will be my final comment on this subject. I’m sorry to anyone who responds, but I will not speak further on this subject because at this point, people who were not involved, are now inserting themselves as subjects.

I apologize to ZB for my poor choice of words. I was trying to be comical with the expression and wasn’t attempting to be crude, but I realize now it came across that way. Given the fact that he had just become a member within a few minutes of his posting, and the fact that he was very unclear with his communications (which he admitted), I directed words at him that shouldn’t have been typed. (I’ve already apologized to him for the mistake.)

I’m not apologizing for my stance regarding the PCC debacle. They were knowingly hiring a secular a cappella group for a non-ministry performance. I believe singling out one gay guy and canceling the performance two hours before the performance was a bad look for them and made a non-story into an international story, especially since they’ve hired this same group twice before. That’s just my opinion though, which obviously doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. Obviously, PCC has the legal right to do what they think is best, and they made that decision for their students and faculty.

Since I now have people questioning if I’m a sock puppet, feel free to contact Ransom to clarify your concerns. I have one profile and have zero interest in making a second sock puppet account. Like everyone, sometimes events in life can impact my mood. I wasn’t having a very good couple of days recently, and those life events impacted my emotions (both online and offline). Say what you will about Ekkk, but he’s correct about the fact that sometimes there’s a bit of a mob mentality on this forum, and I definitely felt that vibe. I need to do better, but others do as well, especially those who are supposed to be held (Biblically) to a higher standard. I asked in an earlier post: Would Jesus make sport of it? Regardless of what others do, I’m responsible for me, and I’ll try to do better.
I didn't say you were a sock puppet...I asked if you had one? Big difference...but, that can slide. I can understand the frustration and your reading into what was said. I apologize if I made you feel like you were being in a total attack by myself. I just stated what I was seeing. You and I have gotten along far too long, and I have no personal animosity toward you.

You were talking to another here but I think one of the greatest issues now for the school is for the one's IN THE SCHOOL who approve or disapprove of the decision is to show grace towards their leaders. Whether some felt they did wrong I think they did their level best to do what they felt was in the best interests of the students. All there should disagree without being disagreeable and not allow strife or contention to have any place within them. Walking in love, endeavoring to keep peace and showing forbearance is the issue I think more important to God. When strife gets in the devil gets in.
I agree, but in any reasonably large enough population of young impressionable college-age adults you’re going to inevitably have some who will use an event like this for leverage to get their oppositional voices heard, especially in a place that is often railed against for having heavy-handed legalistic standards.

No disagreement with this.

I didn't say you were a sock puppet...I asked if you had one? Big difference...but, that can slide. I can understand the frustration and your reading into what was said. I apologize if I made you feel like you were being in a total attack by myself. I just stated what I was seeing. You and I have gotten along far too long, and I have no personal animosity toward you.
Thanks for the kind words. No puppets…don’t have time. I mainly come here to lurk & learn, mainly the posts about Christianity.

For the record, I’m not anti PCC. Although I never attended, I’ve actually considered this school for my own kid a few years down the road. It’s not terribly far from where we live. Of course we’ll have to see what God’s plan in a few years from now.

I agree, but in any reasonably large enough population of young impressionable college-age adults you’re going to inevitably have some who will use an event like this for leverage to get their oppositional voices heard, especially in a place that is often railed against for having heavy-handed legalistic standards.
Yes absolutely but...nonetheless.