Should a Deacon Be Doctrinally Secure with Church Doctrinal Statement?

Tim said:
The subject of appointing a new deacon has come up at our Church. While it isn't confirmed, it might be that yours truly could be considered for the role of deacon.

I thought this could be a springboard for a thread regarding Deacons, their role, and specifically what the Bible says in 1 Timothy 3:1-7. How closely are Churches matching men to 1 Timothy? Should that man be 100% in agreement with the Churches printed doctrinal statement?

How would you respond to such a nomination?

He should be 100% in agreement with the doctrinal statement if he isn't then he shouldn't be a deacon.

Tim, if the offer of a deacon position comes (and perhaps even if it doesn?t), would you feel comfortable approaching the pastor with your concerns about the doctrinal statement?  If you do, then perhaps some of these issues could be ironed out.  It sounds to me like your church?s doctrinal statement was written before your current pastor accepted his position.  Perhaps it?s time for an update.  But if it is a current requirement that you are in complete agreement, I think you already know that you should decline the position. 

I?ll never be a deacon, which comes with a higher standard, but frankly, I have never thought it was important to agree with my church on every point of every subject just to be a member.  Yes, my church is my family, but I don?t always agree with my blood relatives, either.  I don?t need to agree with them 100% to love them or be loved by them.  When it comes to my personal spiritual walk, I use lots of study resources, some from within my church, some on my own, but always with an emphasis on Holy Spirit's leading. 

If you follow Holy Spirit?s leading, you will do the right thing for you, your family and your church.  God bless you.

praise_yeshua said:
Its absolutely hilarious how you reject the faithful saying..... "No Creed but Christ".

It is not a faithful saying.

Good thing Tim's church has a creed. By their creed you shall know them. It works both ways.

praise_yeshua said:
Funny. A creed that rejects creeds is still a creed.....

"Creed" comes from the Latin credo, meaning "I believe."

Seems to me that "creeds ought to be rejected" is something one can believe . . .

If a rejection of creeds is a core ingredient of your faith, then that itself is a creed. It is self-inconsistent. It commits intellectual suicide.

I imagine if I were to say.... "I hate sin"...... I'm really committing sin because I mentioned "sin"

Your analogy is inapt. Is saying the word "sin" in itself a sin?

praise_yeshua said:
Walt said:
praise_yeshua said:
FSSL said:
Tim said:
The subject of appointing a new deacon has come up at our Church. While it isn't confirmed, it might be that yours truly could be considered for the role of deacon.

I thought this could be a springboard for a thread regarding Deacons, their role, and specifically what the Bible says in 1 Timothy 3:1-7. How closely are Churches matching men to 1 Timothy? Should that man be 100% in agreement with the Churches printed doctrinal statement?

How would you respond to such a nomination?

Absolutely. "They must keep hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience...Those who have served well gain an excellent standing and great assurance in their faith in Christ Jesus."

Of course this assumes that the Doctrinal statement is sound.

In other words..... forget adhering to the principles of the Scriptures. You must focus on the churches "doctrinal statement"!

I don't understand why churches create such things. Just hold up your bible and say I believe the Scriptures.

C'mon -- churches do not all follow the Scriptures as you or I may think they should, so a doctrinal statement lets everyone know where they stand.

Funny Walt....

You said.... "but I don't know how many members are even aware of the doctrinal statement at some of the churches I've been in."

Do you even know how evidence works? You're being a double minded man. You pretend they matter and ignore the fact that you don't know many that care....

Geesh..........

They matter; I think everyone should care what the doctrinal position is of the church they join.  However, I have been in churches where they would whizz through the plan of salvation, get the person to say a pray, got them to come to church by persuasion, and by even more persuasion, got them to agree to be baptized, and then counted them members of the church.  Such people would be amazed to know that the church even had a doctrinal statement.

I have heard of churches that are more careful with members; they give prospective members a doctrinal statement, a constitution, and by laws... and then let them ask questions, and then join if they want to.

Getting back to doctrinal statements, I believe the Scripture teaches eternal security; other churches don't. I would prefer to join and support a church that agrees with me on this doctrine.  It's not something that may come up in a few messages.

I almost joined a church where their doctrine was spelled out. The pastor said over and over again, "We focus on the main things, not the minor things."

So, right before we joined, we had a sit down (after 6 weeks of membership study) and found out that there were some unstated things. Eternal security was up for grabs. I asked him, "What are the main things?" Well... His inability to answer was grave... we kept looking

While you are trying to decide what to do, I have a little tune to entertain you.  Have you ever heard the song, "You Can't be a Beacon if Your Light Don't Shine"?    The same tune goes even better with,

"You can't be a deacon if your wife don't mind."

:D

Tim said:
JrChurch said:
While you are trying to decide what to do, I have a little tune to entertain you.  Have you ever heard the song, "You Can't be a Beacon if Your Light Don't Shine"?    The same tune goes even better with,

"You can't be a deacon if your wife don't mind."

:D

My wife is cool with the idea. But, you bring up a good point about my personal light. And that is one of the main concerns right next to doctrinal statement.

lnf brings some good points to the conversation, specially when he write, " It sounds to me like your church?s doctrinal statement was written before your current pastor accepted his position."

That is true, plus, my pastor has changed his mind regarding some matters since accepting the position. He desires to see "revival" in the Church, and that would include updating the doctrinal statement errors.

Even if I know for sure I wouldn't accept, I would take the time to read the doctrinal statement over closely, highlight the issues, and sit down with my pastor and go over the concerns. I would try and have scripture set to back up each concern. I may even have a moment to express my concerns to the current deacon body.

But. Time will tell. Something to pray about for sure.

It may be that my core conviction, that family is my main ministry right now, will get in the way no matter what. I can't have this get in the way of that.

If the pastor doesn't agree with the church's doctrinal statement, he will either have to leave or get it changed.  Maybe you can help him to rewrite it.