silly

Welcome DeltaDawn!

It is never too late to join. Everyone has input from different viewpoints so that is always great to hear.

It is a great place to vent frustrations, concerns, or simply get a good laugh at some of the nonesense.

DeltaDawn said:
I hope I am not too late to the party. I have been a stalker for some time now, but I can no longer hold back! lol Most of these rules were crazy enough, but I lived in the girl's dorm. That is about as close to being a P.O.W. as I will ever be. One of the many times I was denied permission to do something I was given this advice "Someday you will understand why we have these rules". It has been almost 10 years and I am still waiting on that revelation. I will also go ahead and admit I failed the handbook test one semester. Imagine that! lol

Hey Delta Dawn, whats that flower you have on?

Couldn't resist.

Welcome and as JustABigKid said never to late.

WHBC/OBC must have seemed oh so wacko to many of you kids not from WHBC.  It was to my kids and they were raised there.

If everyone would email me their head shots that would be great. Lol I guess the process of figuring out who is who is half the fun. Were any of you there for the unwritten rule of girls not being allowed to have flys in their skirts? Or the banquet when every girl just about failed dress check. Those were the days of Porter.

DeltaDawn said:
If everyone would email me their head shots that would be great. Lol I guess the process of figuring out who is who is half the fun. Were any of you there for the unwritten rule of girls not being allowed to have flys in their skirts? Or the banquet when every girl just about failed dress check. Those were the days of Porter.

Remember it well.  Queen P tried to show her power as the Porters had not been in charge very long at that point in time.  Funny part was is that Mrs F and Mrs K came along behind her and let several of the young ladies know their dresses were just fine.

DeltaDawn said:

Haha that was hilarious. Almost all the girls were ready to simply boycott the banquet and not even bother going. I may be wrong but I think that was the same banquet or at least the same year that a group got together and purchased the "party bus." Everyone get ripped a new one on Monday about it and making sure your school bill is paid before you go have fun. lol

I like Rosa Parks am guilty of being on the bus. When friends of mine are talking about their wild college days, I chuckle to myself and think about what a wild child I was. Ridding on a party bus, sneaking off to the mall. Baptist girls gone wild OBC edition.

DeltaDawn said:
I like Rosa Parks am guilty of being on the bus. When friends of mine are talking about their wild college days, I chuckle to myself and think about what a wild child I was. Ridding on a party bus, sneaking off to the mall. Baptist girls gone wild OBC edition.

Haha Baptist girls gone wild. I can imagine the worst thing that happened on the bus was the lights running across the top lol.

Finding Nemo was playing on the TV. So maybe I should have rededicated my life. 

I was on that bus. It changed my opinion of staff after they went after us college students like we aweful sinners and were spending money foolishly.  I then remember staff taking fishing trips that summeron church money. Funny thing is it was cheaper when we all went in spent 25 .00 for it thanit was for them to go fishing.

They were probably upset that no one invited them to ride.

Oh they took those fishing trips every year without fail.

Yeah I remember they made a big deal about the cost and all the students were like it didn't cost me that much it was only $25 for me. LOL

the craziness.

Sounds like a bunch of wild Baptist party girls who needed to get their hearts right and Porter and the boys were just trying to guide them.  Or was Tommy boy "in charge" by then?

And don't be dissing on the sacred fishing cow either

Bro Porter was only upset bc JAV was upset. I remember being in his office after things settled down and he didnt seem bothered by it once all fact came out. I wonder what ever became of him, i know he didnt see eye to eye w/ JAV and that led to his demise.

At one time I heard they were going back to the mission field. But that was years ago. I always thought he hit so hard on dress standards, because that was about the only rules his boys were not breaking. I don't say that to be ugly toward the boys. Who knows what life was like for them at home. I use to think it would have been such an honor to grow up in the home of some of these types. Now I see how lucky I am to have no name parents that just love the Lord. lol

I agree, we may never know how much pressure was put on staff kids to be certain ways, fit certain molds.

They were hard on dress codes and haircuts . Sometimes i think they did just to feel like they were in control. As a guy i found it easier to reach out to Bro Porter than some of the other staff. But that was just me.

I will say that it was easier for guys at OBC than girls for sure.

Saved by Grace said:
Bro Porter was only upset bc JAV was upset. I remember being in his office after things settled down and he didnt seem bothered by it once all fact came out. I wonder what ever became of him, i know he didnt see eye to eye w/ JAV and that led to his demise.

Brother Porter is pastor of a church out West.  Here is the link to his church.

http://www.chinalakebc.org/

I imagine they were in trouble alot at home but that could be because they brought a lot of trouble home. Some of the things they did would make you cringe.

The sad thing is that it eventually cost Wesley his life.

If a man doesn't know how to rule his own house.............

Just me said:
Straight from the OBC Catalog:

Soul Winning
Soul winning is defined as confrontational witnessing to unsaved people.  All students are required to go soul winning every week.  Preacher boys are required to go soul winning a minimum of 5 hours a week.  All other students are required to go soul winning a minimum of 2 hours each week.  This requirement is in effect each semester and summer session for all students.
Required soul winning hours are to be done on Thursday or Saturday.  Any deviation from this rule must be approved by the student's department head or dorm supervisor.

So, this is a rule that is probably widely ignored - because most everyone I know doesn't merely count the time doing "confrontational witnessing to unsaved people"; they include all the other times.

For example: Thursday soul-winning time is 7pm.  We show up at 7pm, listen to a 10-minute, uh, "encouragement", drive 20 minutes to our designated area, knock doors for 10 minutes - 3 people answered the door; none of them wanted to talk to us.  We then drive back to the church (20 minutes).  Have we "gone soul-winning" for an hour?  Every church I've ever been in would say so.  However, according to the catalog, since we talked to no one, we have spent an hour of time, but have done 0 minutes of soul-wininng.

If we can count the time merely doing activities, can we drive for an hour to reach a destination, knock 1 door, and drive an hour back, and claim we spent 2 hours "soul-winning"??