So close your eyes and tell me.......

RAIDER said:
prophet said:
I hear "Gerald McColroy from Waco Texas" being read every week at the invitation.

Some inside Sailor joke.

earnestly contend

Please share!
There was an original Gerald McElroy (or "Mackleroy" as it sounded when Bro Hyles read it)
From Waco, TX who was baptized.

After that, for maybe a year and a half, some sailor would submit his name again, at invitation.

I guess the original was a cut-up, and brought several guys after he got saved, but I'm not sure of all the details.

I could see the Sailors laughing uproarously every time it was read.

To make matters worse, Bro. Hyles didn't always catch it, so it was always a running bet if he'd notice...especially on big days.

Occaisonally, when he'd catch it, he'd retort in his usual fashion (something he was the absolute best at), and they would go back and forth from the Servicemen Section and the pulpit, burning each other and their respective Branches of the Armed Forces.

I hope someone here was in the Servicemen's ministry, and can fill in more details.

I'd say this was the late 80's, after Larry Bullard was gone, but im not sure .

Sent from my LGL43AL using Tapatalk

prophet said:
RAIDER said:
prophet said:
I hear "Gerald McColroy from Waco Texas" being read every week at the invitation.

Some inside Sailor joke.

earnestly contend

Please share!
There was an original Gerald McElroy (or "Mackleroy" as it sounded when Bro Hyles read it)
From Waco, TX who was baptized.

After that, for maybe a year and a half, some sailor would submit his name again, at invitation.

I guess the original was a cut-up, and brought several guys after he got saved, but I'm not sure of all the details.

I could see the Sailors laughing uproarously every time it was read.

To make matters worse, Bro. Hyles didn't always catch it, so it was always a running bet if he'd notice...especially on big days.

Occaisonally, when he'd catch it, he'd retort in his usual fashion (something he was the absolute best at), and they would go back and forth from the Servicemen Section and the pulpit, burning each other and their respective Branches of the Armed Forces.

I hope someone here was in the Servicemen's ministry, and can fill in more details.

I'd say this was the late 80's, after Larry Bullard was gone, but im not sure .

Sent from my LGL43AL using Tapatalk

Funny!

I see Hackers walking down to the Army Surplus store in Hammond.

RAIDER said:
In their defense, it was the only place to which  one could walk, if he were a vehicle less HACker, to purchase decent winter gear.
And the prices were HACtastic

earnestly contend

prophet said:
RAIDER said:
In their defense, it was the only place to which  one could walk, if he were a vehicle less HACker, to purchase decent winter gear.

earnestly contend
One of my favorite winter hats was purchased there in 91. Still use it to this day.

qwerty said:
prophet said:
RAIDER said:

earnestly contend
One of my favorite winter hats was purchased there in 91. Still use it to this day.
106515_1_2.jpg

16KJV11 said:
qwerty said:
prophet said:
RAIDER said:

earnestly contend
106515_1_2.jpg
Close.....

Has a different seal on the front.

qwerty said:
16KJV11 said:
qwerty said:
prophet said:
RAIDER said:

earnestly contend
106515_1_2.jpg
Close.....

But it is the correct color.

RAIDER said:
qwerty said:
16KJV11 said:
qwerty said:
prophet said:
RAIDER said:

earnestly contend
106515_1_2.jpg
Close.....

Mary Kay all the way!

qwerty said:
RAIDER said:
qwerty said:
16KJV11 said:
qwerty said:
prophet said:
RAIDER said:

earnestly contend
106515_1_2.jpg
Close.....

Mary Kay all the way!
Gone used to like Mabeline!

Baptist City Holdout said:
after all the time this thread has been around, I just read the title as, "So close your Bibles and tell me......... or possibly, and look up here at me.

YMBAH if........  :)

I remember Mrs. Evans saying time and time again, "There was a woman in the church....."  She would then tell a story about a church that was ruined because a woman gossiped too much.

I know the other side now.  "There was a woman in the church".....and she paid for the steeple of the church or for bus kids to go to camp, or donated money so that someone would have a scholarship to go to college.

It seemed at HAC, those crazy women were always up to something to destroy the church. 

I don't think pedophilia was ever mentioned.

Visitors were asked to stand & tell us who they are & where they are from.

Afterwards JH who says, "Let's give these folks a good FBHC welcome." He would then lead in clapping for them.

I can hear Dr. Hyles telling a visiting delegation to stop by his office after the service.  He would give them money to take their group out to eat after the service. 

I hear Mrs. Sallee singing, "Everything's All Right in My Father's House" in church, after the death of her husband.  She was seated in the congregation.  Bro. Hyles asked her to sing it. She immediately stood and sang it beautifully. 

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I see Mrs. Johnson walking up to sing and handing Brother Hyles a note.

I see little boys in white shirts and ties jetting around the auditorium.

I hear Mrs. Evans laughing, from across the auditorium, over the din of the crowd!