Speaking of church, what ministry(s) do you serve in?

Alayman,  Stand tall my never met you but like you already friend........  To the person that teaches 4 and 5 year olds.  That is probably one of the most influential ministries.  You are building the very foundations of their Christian Life.  I got saved not because of a Pastor, Deacon, Sunday School Teacher etc.  My 9 yr neighbor invited this country boy to church to win an airplane ride.  I was 12 years old and never even been to an airport.  I am where I am today, 30+years later because of that 9yr old .  You bet I will brag on what God has allowed me to do.  If we don't brag on the greatness of God our future generations will see no point in serving God. 

Hey "State the Stupids"  Did I explain this clear enough for you.  WE BRAG SO OUR CHILDREN WILL SEE GOD STILL WORKS....  Do you understand now.  Didn't think so.

Recovering IFB said:
ALAYMAN said:
  I'm not saying that the type of sarcastic humor and (counter)criticism has no place on the forum, but what I am saying is that the fellowship that was more abundant (even of this "fighting" forum) is clearly less robust than in days past, and that's is sad.

I bet you, that had rsc had posted something he did for his ministry, that you didn't agree with, you and him would fill up 5 pages of going back and forth,..... please!!!!!  anybody says one thing that you don't agree with and it's 'go time" with you.  I actually see most of your posts as looking for fights, just waiting to goad a 'freebird' into a brawl.

But anybody else have a bragimony before we continue?
Actually, I make it not to go bragging about what I'm doing. ;)

6 ?Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2 Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.

banjoplucker said:
You bet I will brag on what God has allowed me to do.  If we don't brag on the greatness of God our future generations will see no point in serving God. 

Hey "State the Stupids"  Did I explain this clear enough for you.  WE BRAG SO OUR CHILDREN WILL SEE GOD STILL WORKS....  Do you understand now.  Didn't think so.

I don't have to brag so my kids can see what I'm doing. Instead, we invite to participate in what we're doing.

banjoplucker said:
Alayman,  Stand tall my never met you but like you already friend........  To the person that teaches 4 and 5 year olds.  That is probably one of the most influential ministries.  You are building the very foundations of their Christian Life.  I got saved not because of a Pastor, Deacon, Sunday School Teacher etc.  My 9 yr neighbor invited this country boy to church to win an airplane ride.  I was 12 years old and never even been to an airport.  I am where I am today, 30+years later because of that 9yr old .  You bet I will brag on what God has allowed me to do.  If we don't brag on the greatness of God our future generations will see no point in serving God. 

Thank you for the encouragement and testimony.  I love to hear how God uses other people and transforms lives.

Now for a gentle request:  I humbly ask you for this thread's sake to not provoke those who want a fight by use of the "stupid" comments.  It's not that I don't agree with you that some people just want to be bullies and such, but that I'd rather this thread be about praising God, not getting distracted with the back and forth and name-calling.  Thanks again brother.

Alayman,  Will do.  I have had my Cup of Tea, and my Rant is over. 

ALAYMAN said:
I was hoping to hear of transformed lives to the glory of God, but instead I received a bunch of dung from malcontents who'd rather fight than praise the Lord.

Boo hoo.  You set the tone with the OP, and there wasn't anything there about transformed lives to the glory of God, just a humblebrag about all the works you do.

Tim said:
"He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord." 1 Corinthians 1:31

Okay, I do and did...

1. This
2. And this
3. And I do this
4. And I also do this

Glory be to God!!

Many years ago I was elected to the deacon board of our church. It was quite possibly the worst three years of my life spiritually. I still refer to those board meetings as not much more than exercises in sleep deprivation. Long drawn out affairs that accomplished little and left me staring at the ceiling til deep  into the night reviewing all the nonsense that had transpired.

Since then, many nomination seasons have come and gone where I have been asked to consider running for deacon again. Every time I gave the same answer. The position of deacon as defined is basically impossible for mortal man. The expectations are high. The training is low and no one is gifted or skilled to do the job well. So I will not accept a nomination until the Lord change my heart or the structure of the church. Apparently I was not alone because filling a slate for the annual election was like pulling teeth.

Fast forward 15 years or so. We had a new pastor who had brought some new ideas along with him. A friend on the board approached me that summer and said that he would be nominating me in the fall because they needed guys  like me to help work through the changes pastor was bringing. My answer to him was the same as it had always been.

Over the next number of weeks the pastor and this other fellow gave me some insight into the proposed changes coming. I was intrigued. Could it be? Was this the turning point? When the nominations came around again I accepted. As with most previous elections there were just enough candidates for the empty slots. Just like that I was a deacon again. But the ship had started to turn.

The next big thing was to rewrite the church constitution and alter the governance model. The office of deacon would no longer be the be all things to all people all the time model. There would be two deacon boards, administrative and mercy. In addition there would be a board of elders.

Over the next year the board, in it's historical configuration, worked to define what the church leadership structure was to become. Pastor preached a three part series on church governance. There were several Q&A meetings to help the people understand the changes and their purpose. The amended constitution was presented discussed tweaked and voted on. 96% vote to pass and we were ready for the next step.

At that point I was a little over one year into my term. And the leadership as it was had a challenge. The men currently in office needed to be assigned to one of the three boards. Assess their gifts and abilities, and with their approval, place them on the board that fit them the best.

My vision going in was that I would help navigate the waters of change and to be a champion for where this would take us as a church. I intended resign once the new structure was in place. As we were getting closer to the restructuring I asked individuals close to me where they would see me fitting best. I asked five and got the same answer from all of them. Elder.

Next month I finish up my term as an elder. The structure allows for me to remain in office with a new vote of affirmation. However, since we are leaving soon to go into full time ministry it makes no sense to agree to another term and then resign. There is a certain bitter sweet to all of this because I found my time as an elder to be the most fulfilling role that I have ever held in our church family. But that season is over and I am looking forward to the next chapter, whatever that looks like.

And the church? We just went through the nomination process. 4 openings for mercy deacon with 8 men running. 2 openings on the admin deacon board with 4 men running. No arm twisting. Not settling for a warm body to fill a slot. No, what we have is a dozen men who desire to serve in a capacity that will allow them to exercise their gifts and abilities in a proper context. A church structured to succeed in ministry and hungry to reach our community and beyond for the Kingdom of Christ.

And I am going to miss them.

Bill

Tim said:
"He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord." 1 Corinthians 1:31

I thank God for my good looks and my alpha male demeanor. I take no credit for this.

ALAYMAN said:
Recovering IFB said:
ALAYMAN said:
  I'm not saying that the type of sarcastic humor and (counter)criticism has no place on the forum, but what I am saying is that the fellowship that was more abundant (even of this "fighting" forum) is clearly less robust than in days past, and that's is sad.

I bet you, that had rsc had posted something he did for his ministry, that you didn't agree with, you and him would fill up 5 pages of going back and forth,..... please!!!!!  anybody says one thing that you don't agree with and it's 'go time" with you.  I actually see most of your posts as looking for fights, just waiting to goad a 'freebird' into a brawl.

Go look up the psychological concept of "projection".
My point proven! Thanks

God, I thank you that I am not like other people ? robbers, evildoers, adulterers, cigar smokers, people who drink bourbon, freebirds ? or even like the mockers here on FFF.  I fast twice a week, contribute to my local ministry, and give a tenth of all I get.  Glory be to God that I'm better than these.

I wonder if I, or anyone else here on the FFF, made a post about all they do / what they are responsible for at their regular, day-to-day job, if I / they would catch the flack like Alayman has caught for sharing what he does in his church?

I have always given God the credit for my good looks.

What ministry(s) do you serve in?

Not many at the moment. Some Sunday's I'm an usher and others I'm a greeter. I want to get in on the audio/visual team once an opening becomes available.

:)

So many good  posts about what you are doing.  The main thing is you ARE doing. 

God uses all to touch the lives of people. 

Greeter is the first impression of the Church.
If you help clean the church toilets you are just as important in the overall work of the Ministry.  Imagine a visitor using the bathroom that reeks of urine just before Church. 

You work in the nursery, you drive a bus, it does not matter,  The important thing is to be Proud of what you do.  I hate when I hear someone say "I just .....".  You just what,    Serve God, Love your Family, Go to Church, fill a need in the Ministry.    That is more than enough.  Think of all those that have the talent and do nothing.  If the only thing you did was went to a Nursing home and held the hand of a resident whose family never visits.  T

Or you like the 9 yr old boy that invited me to church (never set foot in a church before that day).  Than hold you head high, praise God for allowing you to influence even one person.

banjoplucker said:

If you help clean the church toilets you are just as important in the overall work of the Ministry.  Imagine a visitor using the bathroom that reeks of urine just before Church. 

You work in the nursery, you drive a bus, it does not matter,  The important thing is to be Proud of what you do.  I hate when I hear someone say "I just .....".  You just what,    Serve God, Love your Family, Go to Church, fill a need in the Ministry.    That is more than enough.  Think of all those that have the talent and do nothing.  If the only thing you did was went to a Nursing home and held the hand of a resident whose family never visits.  T

Or you like the 9 yr old boy that invited me to church (never set foot in a church before that day).  Than hold you head high, praise God for allowing you to influence even one person.
You don't go to church. You are part of the church. Major difference.

rsc2a said:
banjoplucker said:

Now get them started on that, you know very well Rsc that the church is the building that was built by the Mog to serve his ego and emblematic of his authority [/sarcasm]

rsc2a said:
banjoplucker said:

rsc2a that has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read.  You must have nothing  better to do than make useless comments.  I GO to church because the Church is not in my house.  It was not a Doctrinal statement,nor was it meant to be anything other than what it implies I get up and GO to a building.  No wonder I never post on this site. 

You should post you comments on the other thread, it would fit in there perfectly.  Meaningless thread meant to mock an honest post, full of meaningless comments. 

banjoplucker said:
rsc2a said:
banjoplucker said:

rsc2a that has to be the dumbest thing I have ever read.  You must have nothing  better to do than make useless comments.  I GO to church because the Church is not in my house.  It was not a Doctrinal statement,nor was it meant to be anything other than what it implies I get up and GO to a building.  No wonder I never post on this site. 

You should post you comments on the other thread, it would fit in there perfectly.  Meaningless thread meant to mock an honest post, full of meaningless comments.

Here it's why it matters:

"Greeter is the first impression of the church."

...nope, not at all. The first impression of the church is how I treat my neighbour, my co-worker, my kids' teachers. I try to fill ministry needs every day in many places, not just at a service once a week.

The Church is not a building. It is not a service. It is not an individual. She is a called out fellowship proclaiming a risen Messiah to the entire world.