Speaking of church, what ministry(s) do you serve in?

Matthew1323 said:
Well, there is a fellowship section on the FFF. Did you honestly place this thread in the fighting section expecting fellowship?

Yes, but keep on judging my intent, as your crystal ball gives you some kind of omniscient powers obviously.

Matthew1323 said:
Yes, it seems that your intention was a fight. You feign ignorance, innocence, and a pure heart for sympathy when it's convenent for you and then change hats to lead the parade for the arrogant and surrealistic SWORDless Crusaders.

Well by all means keep riding your steed and fighting the good fight and tilt at your windmills Sancho.

Remember early on in the thread where I wrote this.....

A whole lot of people that have had bad experiences in Christianity, particularly in their time with IFBs make them jaded and cynical, and maybe worst of all, judgmental.  As the saying goes, "you can take the boy out of the fundy, but not the fundy out of the boy".

You no doubt embody this.  You're a former HACKER, probably wore your 100% for Hyles button and defended Dave.  Now you are making penance for all the evils that Hyles duped you into participating in, so by all means keep on attacking all these bad fundys you see around every corner and behind every post.  Fight the good fight and keep the faith, but NEVER, I mean NEVER believe that somebody might actually be intending on encouraging others in the faith!

::)  8)

Bruh said:
subllibrm said:
Bruh said:
To those who think that stating ur service in the church on this forum is very prideful, have a question.

If stating ur service on here is bragging, do y'all think that ppl are like trying to become big shots on here?

I am a big shot already.  ;)

Exactly, like really? A big shot on a forum.

Trying to impress ppl with fake names............idk.

Hey, you have to take your fame and glory when and where you can get it.  ;D

Been gone all weekend and come back to see the great posts.  Alayman, good thread.

ALAYMAN said:
Matthew1323 said:
Well, there is a fellowship section on the FFF. Did you honestly place this thread in the fighting section expecting fellowship?

Yes, but keep on judging my intent, as your crystal ball gives you some kind of omniscient powers obviously.

Matthew1323 said:
Yes, it seems that your intention was a fight. You feign ignorance, innocence, and a pure heart for sympathy when it's convenent for you and then change hats to lead the parade for the arrogant and surrealistic SWORDless Crusaders.

Well by all means keep riding your steed and fighting the good fight and tilt at your windmills Sancho.

Remember early on in the thread where I wrote this.....

A whole lot of people that have had bad experiences in Christianity, particularly in their time with IFBs make them jaded and cynical, and maybe worst of all, judgmental.  As the saying goes, "you can take the boy out of the fundy, but not the fundy out of the boy".

You no doubt embody this.  You're a former HACKER, probably wore your 100% for Hyles button and defended Dave.  Now you are making penance for all the evils that Hyles duped you into participating in, so by all means keep on attacking all these bad fundys you see around every corner and behind every post.  Fight the good fight and keep the faith, but NEVER, I mean NEVER believe that somebody might actually be intending on encouraging others in the faith!

::)  8)

Hahaha... I hope that I didn't keep you up all night. You have potential, really you do!

Matthew1323 said:
Hahaha... I hope that I didn't keep you up all night. You have potential, really you do!

Weak sauce.  You've got no game.

And though you seem to have a bit of a fixation on me, you still haven't spoken one word of how Christ has changed/used you for His glory.

ALAYMAN said:
Matthew1323 said:

And though you seem to have a bit of a fixation on me, you still haven't spoken one word of how Christ has changed/used you for His glory.

There will come a day when Christ will speak of those who've served Him. What HE..... says.... at that day.....will matter. What anyone says of themselves is nothing but speculation. Which is why we have these words....

1Co 4:5  Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

ALAYMAN said:
...you still haven't spoken one word of how Christ has changed/used you for His glory.

I will. I'm less concerned with what other people think about me and think I'm more giving than I used to be. I no longer define myself by my J.O.B. We have a more open home. I'm learning to be more accepting while still holding onto my beliefs. Our family is more aware of opportunities to help others, opportunities that were awkward there. There has been healing of physical ailments. We see Christ in more people...

(Notice how that list is about how God has changed me and my family and not about how much awesome stuff we've done.)

praise_yeshua said:
There will come a day when Christ will speak of those who've served Him. What HE..... says.... at that day.....will matter. What anyone says of themselves is nothing but speculation. Which is why we have these words....

1Co 4:5  Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.

Scriptures also say "let every man be fully persuaded in his own conscience".  I've received and given encouragement to fight the good fight, keep the faith.  Paul said he'd be glad to encourage the gospel advancement even if done out of strife and contention.  If you believe, as others allege, my motives are wrong, you ought to at least take comfort in the fact that other believers have been edified by hearing of how Christ has worked "in the church". ;)

rsc2a said:
ALAYMAN said:
...you still haven't spoken one word of how Christ has changed/used you for His glory.

I will. I'm less concerned with what other people think about me and think I'm more giving than I used to be. I no longer define myself by my J.O.B. We have a more open home. I'm learning to be more accepting while still holding onto my beliefs. Our family is more aware of opportunities to help others, opportunities that were awkward there. There has been healing of physical ailments. We see Christ in more people...

(Notice how that list is about how God has changed me and my family and not about how much awesome stuff we've done.)

You choose to express it this way, but when you do, it is possible that you want the glory.  Nobody can know that but you and Christ, same as my expression.  You can speculate in my motive til the cows come home, but that's all it is, speculation.  And per one aspect of the Scriptural definition of love, thinking no evil of a brother, you've violated the word.

ALAYMAN said:
Matthew1323 said:

No doubt.

Alayman said it. I believe it. That settles it for me!  ::)

ALAYMAN said:
praise_yeshua said:

Scriptures also say "let every man be fully persuaded in his own conscience".  I've received and given encouragement to fight the good fight, keep the faith.  Paul said he'd be glad to encourage the gospel advancement even if done out of strife and contention.  If you believe, as others allege, my motives are wrong, you ought to at least take comfort in the fact that other believers have been edified by hearing of how Christ has worked "in the church". ;)

I haven't judged your motives. Say what you want. I choose not to. I think my choice is better. Even Paul admitted when he was bragging/boasting.

2Co 12:11  I am become a fool in glorying; ye have compelled me: for I ought to have been commended of you: for in nothing am I behind the very chiefest apostles, though I be nothing.

ALAYMAN said:
You choose to express it this way, but when you do, it is that you want the glory.

Yup. I've managed to transform my own heart. Nailed it!

rsc2a said:
ALAYMAN said:
You choose to express it this way, but when you do, it is that you want the glory.

Yup. I've managed to transform my own heart. Nailed it!
Do you notice any word you left out of the quote you cited?

I said...

"it is possible that you want the glory"

Notice that word "possible"?  It changes the whole meaning of what I said as compared to what you lied about what I said.

Is there any wonder why I question your integrity regularly?

One of the ministries that the Lord has blessed me with is a children's teaching ministry in the Sunday evening service.  The pastor and I decided to reach out to local kids who come from a low-income area (not that we limit it to that area alone, but it is a central focus).  These kids often come from families who could not care less about church, so those parents don't do much to see that their kids get to church nor do they encourage them to be ready in the morning for the church bus/van.  So we figured that we'd start a special program, a little out of the box, where we'd pick them up for only the evening service (though they may also ride at any other time to a service, they rarely elect to do so because the won't get out of bed in time), and that portion of the evening service tailored to them would incorporate some non-traditional IFB teaching models like puppets, video, skits, object lessons, and a variety of other methods.  We'd throw in ample game time that went along with the lesson theme, along with fun music and so forth. 

One of those little boys sort of took a shine to ALAYBOY and they began to hang together at church, and shortly after he asked to come to a morning service, so we gladly obliged.  That morning we had a couple of adult baptisms.  He sat and watched along side ALAYBOY and when those being baptized came up out of the water ALAYBOY's little friend asked what was going on.  ALAYBOY began to explain to him that baptism was a step of obedience to show the people what had happened inside them and the boy asked what it meant to be saved.  ALAYBOY brought him to me right after the service and said "Hayden wants to be saved"!  I asked him if he knew who Jean Calvin was and if He was willing to read John Macarthur's notes on Lordship salvation.  Gotcha. :D :D  No, I was privileged to lead that little boy to the Lord.  That's shoutin' material folks!  As soon as he got saved he wanted to attend all the services, and became faithful for several months. 

I was so excited, because one of my main goals in starting this ministry was not just to reach children who would otherwise not ever come to church, but to reach their moms and dads.  I happened to have a tentative inroad to this little boy's family anyway as it turned out, because unbeknownst to me his mom had been friends with my niece growing up.  I began to pray and occasionally invite her to church.  Then out of the blue one day he stopped coming for a couple of weeks.  I finally got ahold of him on visitation one day, only to hear his mother say he wasn't coming anymore. :'(  I asked if we had done something wrong and she claimed nothing was wrong, but wouldn't say why he wasn't coming anymore.  I left it alone.  I've done various children's outreach for over 15 years now, and learned long ago not to let the highs get me too emotional, and not let the lows bum me out too much, but this one hurt.  I figured I'd lay low and pray that eventually I'd get to talk to the mom and see what happened. 

Fast forward about a month to this past Sunday.  We were having a Thanksgiving dinner after the service so we usually get a few folk who aren't usually there, and this year was no different.  But among those who was back this Sunday was little Hayden.  I had the privilege to sit with him at the Thanksgiving feast.  We talked about fishing.  He loves to fish.  We talked about the food and lots of other stuff, then took him home and told him how thankful that he came back to church.  A real Thanksgiving blessing. 

Here's where the good part comes in.  After investing time, money, work, and prayer into that ministry, to have one of those "fruits" taken from me hurt, and I really wanted to figure out how to get him back.  While I had been thinking of how to accomplish that, there was one of our sweet elderly sister in the Lord in the background visiting some of those kids who were still coming.  She was going to take them to a little craft place to color and do some of that kind of stuff that I would have never thought about doing, on a Friday evening.  She went to pick some of them up, and there was Hayden.  He asked what they were doing, and the next thing ya know he was on his way with those kids to have some fun.  She began to talk to him, telling him he was missed, and gently inviting him back to church.  Another saint, unbeknownst to this sister, had also recently loved on the little boy and said we'd love to have him back.  Those folks were doing ministry, sowing seed, investing in the next generation.

God uses us folk, and He don't have to do things like we would, nor on our time table, but it sure is good to see Him work, in our lives, as well as others, amen.

ALAYMAN said:
One of the ministries that the Lord has blessed me with is a children's teaching ministry in the Sunday evening service.  The pastor and I decided to reach out to local kids who come from a low-income area (not that we limit it to that area alone, but it is a central focus).  These kids often come from families who could not care less about church, so those parents don't do much to see that their kids get to church nor do they encourage them to be ready in the morning for the church bus/van.  So we figured that we'd start a special program, a little out of the box, where we'd pick them up for only the evening service (though they may also ride at any other time to a service, they rarely elect to do so because the won't get out of bed in time), and that portion of the evening service tailored to them would incorporate some non-traditional IFB teaching models like puppets, video, skits, object lessons, and a variety of other methods.  We'd throw in ample game time that went along with the lesson theme, along with fun music and so forth. 

One of those little boys sort of took a shine to ALAYBOY and they began to hang together at church, and shortly after he asked to come to a morning service, so we gladly obliged.  That morning we had a couple of adult baptisms.  He sat and watched along side ALAYBOY and when those being baptized came up out of the water ALAYBOY's little friend asked what was going on.  ALAYBOY began to explain to him that baptism was a step of obedience to show the people what had happened inside them and the boy asked what it meant to be saved.  ALAYBOY brought him to me right after the service and said "Hayden wants to be saved"!  I asked him if he knew who Jean Calvin was and if He was willing to read John Macarthur's notes on Lordship salvation.  Gotcha. :D :D  No, I was privileged to lead that little boy to the Lord.  That's shoutin' material folks!  As soon as he got saved he wanted to attend all the services, and became faithful for several months. 

I was so excited, because one of my main goals in starting this ministry was not just to reach children who would otherwise not ever come to church, but to reach their moms and dads.  I happened to have a tentative inroad to this little boy's family anyway as it turned out, because unbeknownst to me his mom had been friends with my niece growing up.  I began to pray and occasionally invite her to church.  Then out of the blue one day he stopped coming for a couple of weeks.  I finally got ahold of him on visitation one day, only to hear his mother say he wasn't coming anymore. :'(  I asked if we had done something wrong and she claimed nothing was wrong, but wouldn't say why he wasn't coming anymore.  I left it alone.  I've done various children's outreach for over 15 years now, and learned long ago not to let the highs get me too emotional, and not let the lows bum me out too much, but this one hurt.  I figured I'd lay low and pray that eventually I'd get to talk to the mom and see what happened. 

Fast forward about a month to this past Sunday.  We were having a Thanksgiving dinner after the service so we usually get a few folk who aren't usually there, and this year was no different.  But among those who was back this Sunday was little Hayden.  I had the privilege to sit with him at the Thanksgiving feast.  We talked about fishing.  He loves to fish.  We talked about the food and lots of other stuff, then took him home and told him how thankful that he came back to church.  A real Thanksgiving blessing. 

Here's where the good part comes in.  After investing time, money, work, and prayer into that ministry, to have one of those "fruits" taken from me hurt, and I really wanted to figure out how to get him back.  While I had been thinking of how to accomplish that, there was one of our sweet elderly sister in the Lord in the background visiting some of those kids who were still coming.  She was going to take them to a little craft place to color and do some of that kind of stuff that I would have never thought about doing, on a Friday evening.  She went to pick some of them up, and there was Hayden.  He asked what they were doing, and the next thing ya know he was on his way with those kids to have some fun.  She began to talk to him, telling him he was missed, and gently inviting him back to church.  Another saint, unbeknownst to this sister, had also recently loved on the little boy and said we'd love to have him back.  Those folks were doing ministry, sowing seed, investing in the next generation.

God uses us folk, and He don't have to do things like we would, nor on our time table, but it sure is good to see Him work, in our lives, as well as others, amen.

Praise the Lord! Enjoyed reading this testimony.

It's also good to hear how that even the big shots in the church can have a part in being used by the Lord.

Therein lies one of my problems. There should be no "big shots" in your assembly. If you start viewing you elders as big shots. you'll put them in a  pedestal and they'll have a position in your heart that belong to God.
It's great to see lives change, and people come to Christ. What's even more amazing that God chooses broken men such as us that ultimately brings glory to Himself. It's God working all things that ultimately fulfills His will that one day we will see with our own eyes with out glorified bodies with no sin to obscure anything.

Matthew1323 said:
Praise the Lord! Enjoyed reading this testimony.

Thanks.  This post, and many like Inf, subllibrm, aleshanee, Hedied4U, and others was the intended spirit of this thread.  I wish others would join in.

M1323 said:
It's also good to hear how that even the big shots in the church can have a part in being used by the Lord.

There was no intention from the OP onward to convey what you have inferred.  It's a figment of yours, and other folks imagination.

aleshanee said:
Recovering IFB said:
Therein lies one of my problems. There should be no "big shots" in your assembly. ............

but what about ill tempered tough guys?....... you know..... the kind that make false and disgusting accusations of impropriety against those they disagree with..... then threaten violence when they;re called out on it?.............. are they ok in the assembly?.......

Including how they judge the motives of others.

ALAYMAN said:
I never asked for, nor sought praise.  That's another lie from the Freebirds. 
Walt said:
So, after reading the OP and the replies, I'm confused.

Is it necessary to serve in a church ministry in order to glorify God?

Nope, and the OP never implied nor explicitly stated that a person could only glorify God via church ministry.  Why would you assume that when it was neither implied nor stated anywhere in the OP?

When the OP said Just thought it would be nice to hear some braggin' on the Lord of how some of my brothers and sisters serve Him in their assembly, I interpreted "braggin' on the Lord" as glorifying Him via how some serve in the assembly, and all the replies list this.  That led to my confusion.

Recovering IFB said:
Therein lies one of my problems. There should be no "big shots" in your assembly. If you start viewing you elders as big shots. you'll put them in a  pedestal and they'll have a position in your heart that belong to God.
It's great to see lives change, and people come to Christ. What's even more amazing that God chooses broken men such as us that ultimately brings glory to Himself. It's God working all things that ultimately fulfills His will that one day we will see with our own eyes with out glorified bodies with no sin to obscure anything.

I agree about the bigshots thing, as does my pastor.  Matter of fact, he has made it a habit in the 12 years I've known him to practice what he calls "this is not a one man show". 

On a different note, your insinuation that I was flirting with Ale was out of bounds, and IMHO it would be good to walk that back bro.  Don't be like biker and cross bounds of appropriateness then just walk away from it.  You're better than that.

Walt said:
When the OP said Just thought it would be nice to hear some braggin' on the Lord of how some of my brothers and sisters serve Him in their assembly, I interpreted "braggin' on the Lord" as glorifying Him via how some serve in the assembly, and all the replies list this.  That led to my confusion.

I've always appreciated what you bring to the table here Walt.  I was only focusing on the church ministry angle of how we glorify God because of a recent tangent in a different thread about house-church vs traditional church stuff.  You just sorta stepped in that mild crossfire.  Anyhoo, would be glad to hear, if you care, how the Lord has blessed you in your years of knowing and serving Him in your assembly.