Standards of dress

brainisengaged said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
So, I ask this question in all sincerity:  Do you think the woman in capris pants and a white top was NOT pleasing the Lord because of what she had on?  All I know is that the woman's unspoken testimony changed my life.  This is something I experienced....not something someone told me about.  God used her in my life....unlike any other woman in the entire world.  It made absolutely no difference whatsoever that she wasn't wearing a skirt. 

Do you consider any female who wears pants, etc. as having a lack of standards?  This is a sincere question.

I don't believe that people who disagree on this issue are necessarily embittered.  But that is for another conversation.

I did not see the woman you are describing so I cannot answer your question.  Regardless of what she was wearing, her testimony made a major difference in your life.  The Lord can use anyone anytime do do his will.

A woman that wears pants is a stinkin' Jezebel!!  :)

And wouldn't that be the whole argument?

I have never heard someone say, she changed my life because she had a dress on....Is the point.  LOL!!

STANDING OVATION TO BRUH!!!!!

I have never heard someone say, "She changed my life because she was wearing a halter top and a mini skirt". 

STANDING OVATION TO RAIDER!!!

RAIDER said:
brainisengaged said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
So, I ask this question in all sincerity:  Do you think the woman in capris pants and a white top was NOT pleasing the Lord because of what she had on?  All I know is that the woman's unspoken testimony changed my life.  This is something I experienced....not something someone told me about.  God used her in my life....unlike any other woman in the entire world.  It made absolutely no difference whatsoever that she wasn't wearing a skirt. 

Do you consider any female who wears pants, etc. as having a lack of standards?  This is a sincere question.

I don't believe that people who disagree on this issue are necessarily embittered.  But that is for another conversation.

I did not see the woman you are describing so I cannot answer your question.  Regardless of what she was wearing, her testimony made a major difference in your life.  The Lord can use anyone anytime do do his will.

I have never heard someone say, she changed my life because she had a dress on....Is the point.  LOL!!

I have never heard someone say, "She changed my life because she was wearing a halter top and a mini skirt". 

We are not talking about halter tops and mini skirts. 

Here's another question on the issue of being a testimony for Christ:

What about women who look frumpy?  The ones who wear long jean skirts, tennis shoes & bobby socks, and perhaps a oversized sweatshirt? 

What about a woman who wears skirts but she is obviously masculine?

cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
I am not attacking your personal convictions.  Please do not think that.  They are between you and God.  As you can imagine, I have very close friends and family who think all kinds of different ways than I do and I love them dearly.  Them not thinking like me has no bearing on my love for them.

I am just trying to get an understanding of this thinking that somehow God is not pleased with someone because of what they have on, despite their personal relationship with Him.

Is God pleased with me if I pick up a poor person on the street and take him to the mission for a meal?  Is God pleased with me if I am drunk while I do it?

That is not the question.  This is the question:

So, in your opinion, whether or not He was pleased with her is based on what she was wearing and NOT on the fact that her unspoken testimony reminded me of Jesus, His Son?  So...He could use her to do His will, because He can use anyone for anything, but He might not have been pleased with her because of what she had on?

Again, I did not see what she was wearing.  In answer to your question, yes, God can be pleased with someone's unspoken testimony and not be pleased with them in another area of their life.  Absolutely!!

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
I am not attacking your personal convictions.  Please do not think that.  They are between you and God.  As you can imagine, I have very close friends and family who think all kinds of different ways than I do and I love them dearly.  Them not thinking like me has no bearing on my love for them.

I am just trying to get an understanding of this thinking that somehow God is not pleased with someone because of what they have on, despite their personal relationship with Him.

Is God pleased with me if I pick up a poor person on the street and take him to the mission for a meal?  Is God pleased with me if I am drunk while I do it?

Well, Jesus stipulation for losing reward doesn't necessarily include drunkenness:

“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven.

“Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

;)

cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:
brainisengaged said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:

We are not talking about halter tops and mini skirts.

I was responding to Bruh and Brainisengaged's posts

I know! ha!  I am still waiting for the answer to MY question!!!!!

cast.sheep, let me ask you a question.  How many years did you not wear pants?  How did you look at other gals who wore pants?

cast.sheep said:
I know! ha!  I am still waiting for the answer to MY question!!!!!

I did answer it a couple of posts ago.

cast.sheep said:

What about women who look frumpy?  The ones who wear long jean skirts, tennis shoes & bobby socks, and perhaps a oversized sweatshirt? 

To piggyback on your questions:

I took the family to Atlanta over the weekend and stopped at a flea market on the way home. Two men and two women stopped us on the porch entrance. The ladies were dressed in more than modest attire to the point where their skirts were floor length. The guys both had short haircuts, neckties and white shirts. They also had name tags with the title "Elder" before their names. They were Mormon.

So was their extremely modest attire being a "true testimony to Christ"? Or was it simply a reflection of their personal religious beliefs?

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep, let me ask you a question.  How many years did you not wear pants?  How did you look at other gals who wore pants?

Smellin', notice that I'm not asking you this these questions.  :)

Smellin Coffee said:
cast.sheep said:

I took the family to Atlanta over the weekend and stopped at a flea market on the way home. Two men and two women stopped us on the porch entrance. The ladies were dressed in more than modest attire to the point where their skirts were floor length. The guys both had short haircuts, neckties and white shirts. They also had name tags with the title "Elder" before their names. They were Mormon.

So was their extremely modest attire being a "true testimony to Christ"? Or was it simply a reflection of their personal religious beliefs?

I would say that they are false witnesses who were dressed modestly.

RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
cast.sheep said:

I would say that they are false witnesses who were dressed modestly.

But if Christian testimony is observed through modest attire, then it would seem that they also represented God. So for a woman to believe she is being a testimony for God to the world by reason of wearing only skirts, she could actually be misconstrued as a JW or a Mormon anyway.

I think if we just worry about living the teachings of Christ by showing love to fellow man in any/every way we possibly can, I think God can find a way to shine through that and be glorified regardless of the attire. And yes, that could mean a volleyball player in shorts, praying with a teammate who has family issues she is trying to deal with. In the end, love recognized does more "talking" in testimony than does attire, specifically in the sports arena. :)

RAIDER said:
RAIDER said:

I understand. I shall back off for a bit. :)

Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
RAIDER said:

I understand. I shall back off for a bit. :)

I was more worrying about YOU not wearing pants.  :)

I did not wear pants for 34 years.  I never really understood why, but it was a rule so I did it.  There were times I was judgmental about it, not because I thought it was "wrong" but because I was jealous that I could not wear them.  I was saved, but pretty much my whole Christianity was wrapped up in the "outside".  There were so many "rules" I did not understand.  And having a personal relationship with Christ was kind of an unknown thing to me.  I didn't know how to do it.  Quite honestly, it caused me a whole lot of inner turmoil.  One thing I did have right, though, was to love people.  My students KNEW I loved them.  And the ones that struggled...I could really relate to them.  They didn't know my struggles, but I could identify with their questionings.  I loved them in spite of their "issues".  I always struggled with the fact that you could be mean, hateful, gossipy, etc. and still teach a Sunday School class or sing in the choir.  But, you could be the sweetest, kindest, most godly woman and as soon as you put a pair of pants on you were not worthy to teach 5-year olds or sing in the choir.  That never set well with me.  So...getting out of that atmosphere was refreshing.  It freed up my inner struggles so that I was able to walk hand in hand with the Lord without all the baggage. 

Smellin Coffee said:
cast.sheep said:

Exactly.

cast.sheep said:
I did not wear pants for 34 years.  I never really understood why, but it was a rule so I did it.  There were times I was judgmental about it, not because I thought it was "wrong" but because I was jealous that I could not wear them.  I was saved, but pretty much my whole Christianity was wrapped up in the "outside".  There were so many "rules" I did not understand.  And having a personal relationship with Christ was kind of an unknown thing to me.  I didn't know how to do it.  Quite honestly, it caused me a whole lot of inner turmoil.  One thing I did have right, though, was to love people.  My students KNEW I loved them.  And the ones that struggled...I could really relate to them.  They didn't know my struggles, but I could identify with their questionings.  I loved them in spite of their "issues".  I always struggled with the fact that you could be mean, hateful, gossipy, etc. and still teach a Sunday School class or sing in the choir.  But, you could be the sweetest, kindest, most godly woman and as soon as you put a pair of pants on you were not worthy to teach 5-year olds or sing in the choir.  That never set well with me.  So...getting out of that atmosphere was refreshing.  It freed up my inner struggles so that I was able to walk hand in hand with the Lord without all the baggage.

Thank you. 

There are also many gals that don't wear pants and don't do so because they believe God's Word teaches otherwise.  They have this standard because they believe it is a way of showing their love to God.  These gals are not judgmental toward others who don't believe the same.  They have a personal relationship with Christ.  They love people and try to make a difference in their lives.

I have met many gals just like you described.  I have also met gals who are as I described.  Just saying.

I, too, have met good, godly people on both sides.  And, in all honesty, I would see those girls that bought into it all and I wished I could be like that.  But, I wasn't.  I wondered what was wrong with me.  I have come to the conclusion that neither side is "wrong".  It's a personal decision that is very deep no matter which side of the issue you are on.  What bothers me is that people on your side tend to look down with judgmental eyes on people on my side.  They make comments suggesting that God is not pleased with me.  Here I am doing the best I know to serve the Lord;  to reach out to others in every way I know; to spend time in personal devotion and communion with the Lord....and yet occasionally I come across people that insinuate that I am not right with God based on what I am wearing.  As if they could know that!

Why can't everyone just serve the Lord to the best of their ability with no worries about what other Christians think of them???  Why do we even have to have an opinion in the first place?  Isn't it hard enough to get through this sinful world trying to keep our own selves right with God?  Why do we spend even one second discussing what someone else should or should not be doing? 

These are the thoughts that go through my head. 

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:

Ah, now we are getting somewhere. Wearing pants is like being drunk.