Standards of dress

Interesting...

Raider compares a woman wearing pants to a drunk and completely dismissed the fact that his idol weighed 300 or so lbs...

Smellin Coffee said:
prophet said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Personally, I would have issues with what beach volleyball players wear but that is just me. :)

Gym volleyball, for the game itself, I would have no issue if my daughters wore such uniforms as I don't think in the context of this sport they would be immodest. Same with if my daughters were to be on a swim team, there would be no issue on my end if they wore a skin-tight swim suit, or a singlet in gymnastics. They are uniformed for the specific purpose of the sport. Now if after the game we stopped at the fro-yo shop, I would suggest they cover up. (They would naturally anyway. :) )

For guys who go to such sporting events for the purpose of seeing girls dress that way, the issue is with those guys. For guys who are going for the sport but will find themselves lusting, then they should not attend. I don't feel the onus of the men's response should be placed on the female athlete, specifically if the uniform designed was created for flexibility within the sport to maximize their performance.

I know I am quoting Paul :)  when he says, "Women adorn themselves in modest apparel".  From your posts I take it you are saying that being appropriate trumps that?
Which Paul describes as "good works"...

Yep, along with self-control. But he also says what women should not be dressing with...

...braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire...

Which means this young lady is dressing immodestly by Paul's definition:

c44f4f331ea9720850fe8cf4535ad9ab.png
Not .......
But.......
Fill in those blanks.

He wasn't saying not to braid your hair, he was saying "not with physical clothing, but with good works".

The comparison /contrast was not modest apparel vs. expensive apparel, that we be redundant, since modest already means "not excessive".
It was between external beauty aids and the true modesty of good works.

He isn't saying not to wear clothes or fashion accessories, just that those things are "not" what he is referring to.

The sum of that passage is "wear good works, which is appropriate for a godly woman".

One could surmise that this passage was disestablishing any type of dress standard, exposing the worthlessness of it, even.

So much for his supposed chauvinism.

Prophet wrote:  One could surmise that this passage was disestablishing any type of dress standard, exposing the worthlessness of it, even.

STANDING OVATION TO PROPHET!!!!

I grew up in Independent Baptist churches all of my life. In 1988 I moved to IN to attend hac and ever since then any kind of discussion on women's dress or modesty ALWAYS comes down to women wearing pants! SERIOUSLY!! I grew up in Baptist churches and never heard this my whole life until coming here. And now I absolutely can't get away from it. It is like an idol that people bow down to and worship! And God have pity on your soul if you just can't see it. After all these years I am still amazed at the mileage this one single issue gets.

prophet said:
Smellin Coffee said:
prophet said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Personally, I would have issues with what beach volleyball players wear but that is just me. :)

Gym volleyball, for the game itself, I would have no issue if my daughters wore such uniforms as I don't think in the context of this sport they would be immodest. Same with if my daughters were to be on a swim team, there would be no issue on my end if they wore a skin-tight swim suit, or a singlet in gymnastics. They are uniformed for the specific purpose of the sport. Now if after the game we stopped at the fro-yo shop, I would suggest they cover up. (They would naturally anyway. :) )

For guys who go to such sporting events for the purpose of seeing girls dress that way, the issue is with those guys. For guys who are going for the sport but will find themselves lusting, then they should not attend. I don't feel the onus of the men's response should be placed on the female athlete, specifically if the uniform designed was created for flexibility within the sport to maximize their performance.

I know I am quoting Paul :)  when he says, "Women adorn themselves in modest apparel".  From your posts I take it you are saying that being appropriate trumps that?

Yep, along with self-control. But he also says what women should not be dressing with...

Not .......
But.......
Fill in those blanks.

He wasn't saying not to braid your hair, he was saying "not with physical clothing, but with good works".

The comparison /contrast was not modest apparel vs. expensive apparel, that we be redundant, since modest already means "not excessive".

He isn't saying not to wear clothes or fashion accessories, just that those things are "not" what he is referring to.

The sum of that passage is "wear good works, which is appropriate for a godly woman".

One could surmise that this passage was disestablishing any type of dress standard, exposing the worthlessness of it, even.

Where was I trying to show him using that verse to promote chauvinism? If I were to go there (and I am NOT), I would have started at the next verse. ;)

Isn't there already a thread on this subject?

I think it's called......."The Hacker Thread about Absolutely Nothing Particular!"

Smellin Coffee said:
prophet said:
Smellin Coffee said:
prophet said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

Not .......
But.......
Fill in those blanks.

Where was I trying to show him using that verse to promote chauvinism? If I were to go there (and I am NOT), I would have started at the next verse. ;)
;)

subllibrm said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
I am not attacking your personal convictions.  Please do not think that.  They are between you and God.  As you can imagine, I have very close friends and family who think all kinds of different ways than I do and I love them dearly.  Them not thinking like me has no bearing on my love for them.

I am just trying to get an understanding of this thinking that somehow God is not pleased with someone because of what they have on, despite their personal relationship with Him.

Is God pleased with me if I pick up a poor person on the street and take him to the mission for a meal?  Is God pleased with me if I am drunk while I do it?

Ah, now we are getting somewhere. Wearing pants is like being drunk.

Sorry, I used an extreme illustration to prove a point.  I forgot that we have posters who are not able to figure that out.

BALAAM said:
I grew up in Independent Baptist churches all of my life. In 1988 I moved to IN to attend hac and ever since then any kind of discussion on women's dress or modesty ALWAYS comes down to women wearing pants! SERIOUSLY!! I grew up in Baptist churches and never heard this my whole life until coming here. And now I absolutely can't get away from it. It is like an idol that people bow down to and worship! And God have pity on your soul if you just can't see it. After all these years I am still amazed at the mileage this one single issue gets.

If you look at the OP you will see that I mentioned dress standards in general.  I was actually wanting to focus more on the modesty issue.  You are correct.  The thread has turned to pants on a woman.....I mean female.  Just kidding!  :)

rsc2a said:
Interesting...

Raider compares a woman wearing pants to a drunk and completely dismissed the fact that his idol weighed 300 or so lbs...

I hope Obtuse isn't catching....you really need to learn what hyperbole, exaggeration, sarcasm and pragmatism mean. :)

RAIDER said:
subllibrm said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
I am not attacking your personal convictions.  Please do not think that.  They are between you and God.  As you can imagine, I have very close friends and family who think all kinds of different ways than I do and I love them dearly.  Them not thinking like me has no bearing on my love for them.

I am just trying to get an understanding of this thinking that somehow God is not pleased with someone because of what they have on, despite their personal relationship with Him.

Is God pleased with me if I pick up a poor person on the street and take him to the mission for a meal?  Is God pleased with me if I am drunk while I do it?

Ah, now we are getting somewhere. Wearing pants is like being drunk.

Sorry, I used an extreme illustration to prove a point.  I forgot that we have posters who are not able to figure that out.

Actually, coupled with the post about halters and minis you actually undermined your point. The question asked (and quite politely I might add) was whether or not the lady who wore the capri pants was displeasing God. Your answer was "I dunno, din't see her". Then you jump to drunkenness and halter tops.

So yes, you are making it an issue of equivalency when you refuse to engage with the example given and substitute a hypothetical. See also sequitur, non.

Tarheel Baptist said:
rsc2a said:
Interesting...

I hope Obtuse isn't catching....you really need to learn what hyperbole, exaggeration, sarcasm and pragmatism mean. :)

rscorner2a has a lot he needs to learn.

RAIDER said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
rsc2a said:
Interesting...

rscorner2a has a lot he needs to learn.

Not according to him! ;)

I think I have plenty to learn. I just don't need to learn about performance based "Christianity" and man worship from a bunch of fundamentalists.

rsc2a said:
Interesting...

I did not realize Raider idolized Spurgeon.  hmmmm.

I got entangled in a ‘dress standard’ issue with my mother.  What a sticky wicket!  She’s close to 80.  She coveted (and I mean this literally) some new dresses.  She set her mind to buy a few things, come “hell or high water”.  So she went shopping with my SIL.  She’s my age (mid 50’s), but dresses, in my opinion, more like a college student.  Well, Mom wore dress #1 of 3 to church this past Sunday.  Hmm.  My mother, although short in stature, is not a small woman.  My mom usually dresses “conservatively stylish”.  This dress was considerably shorter than she usually wears (a few inches above the knee), and it came with a shrug in a complementary color.  She got a lot of comments (which she took as compliments) on her new dress.  I kept my mouth shut…until she told me she was shopping for another shrug to go with one of her other two new dresses.  “Why do you want a shrug?” I asked.  “To cover my arms”, she said.  I told her that she might consider getting something a bit longer than a shrug.  “Why?”  “Umm, well, because a shrug does two things.  It draws emphasis to the bust and also draws emphasis to the backside.  A shrug is not flattering to your body type.  You should consider something about hip-level.”  Then she pinned me down on my opinion of her new dress.  I told her the truth as I see it...it is too short and the shrug is not flattering.  We ended the conversation with me saying that if she felt confident in that dress, she should continue to wear it, no matter what I or anyone else thinks.  But I know I hurt her feelings.  Ugh!  Of course, this whole thing is my fault, because she knows I detest shopping, so she had no choice but to ask my SIL to take her.  Double Ugh!  I haven’t seen the other two dresses.  I hope I can be more complimentary, or at least be more successful in withholding my opinion.  Ugh!  Ugh!  Ugh!

Shrug?  ???

- sub just shrugs.  :-\

I'm a guy, must be a girl thing  ;)

The shrug. Looks excellent on pre-pubescent girls. Past that, it takes a very specific body type to carry it off.

brainisengaged said:

The shrug. Looks excellent on pre-pubescent girls. Past that, it takes a very specific body type to carry it off.

Yup, I stand by my plea of guy ignorance!  ;D

This thread has taken a direction towards the "pants on women" discussion (which does fall into the topic).  Let's go back to the discussion of modesty which was brought up in several posts.  Several are saying that the modest apparel spoken of in Timothy has little to do with showing flesh and more to do with "gaudiness". 

With that in mind, what Scriptural guidelines do you follow when it come to dress?  Ladies, I'm sorry, but for the point of discussion let's focus on woman's dress.  Personally, I can't buy the "if it is appropriate for the activity, it is ok" thought pattern.  While I agree that if a young man is looking for the purpose of lusting it is a sin on his part.  On the other hand, if a high school or college gal is wearing (for sake of illustration) the "accepted" volleyball uniform it puts a temptation before a young man.  Is God honored with this type of attire?

What are your thoughts?