Standards of dress

Citadel of Truth said:
patriotic said:
Neither got saved that day, but when I held out my hand to shake theirs before leaving, they told me I was the "kindest, unjudgmental Christian" they had ever met.

There is never a reason to be unkind to an unbeliever or to another believer.

We too often forget that lost people are going to act like lost people.

Even believers act like lost people.

Citadel of Truth said:
bgwilkinson said:
Citadel of Truth said:
We too often forget that lost people are going to act like lost people.

Even believers act like lost people.

Granted; but, we should ever expect that from a believer.

I would expect a believer to show forth the fruit of the Spirit, but this is not always the case.

Any time a thread about standards comes up on the FFF several posters immediately began to downplay the standard and talk about how a Christian should be on the inside.  I am in 100% agreement that the inside is of utmost importance.  When the inside is right there will naturally be something that reflects it on the outside.

For example, if a person has Christ's love and compassion on the inside, they will have a heart for people on the outside.  It will cause them to do things to show that love and compassion.  If a person has the joy of Christ on the inside they will express that joy on the outside even though they may be going through a trial.  If a person has the purity of Christ on the inside will they not adorn themselves in a pure manner?  Just a thought.

RAIDER said:
Any time a thread about standards comes up on the FFF several posters immediately began to downplay the standard and talk about how a Christian should be on the inside.  I am in 100% agreement that the inside is of utmost importance.  When the inside is right there will naturally be something that reflects it on the outside.

For example, if a person has Christ's love and compassion on the inside, they will have a heart for people on the outside.  It will cause them to do things to show that love and compassion.  If a person has the joy of Christ on the inside they will express that joy on the outside even though they may be going through a trial.  If a person has the purity of Christ on the inside will they not adorn themselves in a pure manner?  Just a thought.

Yes.

But again the disagreement comes because some believe that it is impossible for a woman to be modest in pants.  From what I understand you don't believe a woman can wear pants and be modest whereas there are others that believe it is possible for a woman to wear pants and be modest. 

Bruh said:
RAIDER said:

Yes.

But again the disagreement comes because some believe that it is impossible for a woman to be modest in pants.  From what I understand you don't believe a woman can wear pants and be modest whereas there are others that believe it is possible for a woman to wear pants and be modest.

I am speaking of the shorts, tight shirts, etc that some believe can be worn because they are "appropriate" for the occasion.

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:

Yes.

I am speaking of the shorts, tight shirts, etc that some believe can be worn because they are "appropriate" for the occasion.

You and I agree here.

When I was a single missionary in Mexico years ago, I lived with a missionary family who had also graduated from HAC.  It would get cold in the winter, and there was no heat in the house.  So I wore pajamas in my bedroom.  I never wore them outside of my own room.  The missionary's daughter told her mom who said I was doing wrong because even though no one else saw me, God saw me in pants!  I pointed out that God also saw me in the shower with no clothes on at all!  Sometimes our logic was/is a major fail!  haha

RAIDER said:

For example, if a person has Christ's love and compassion on the inside, they will have a heart for people on the outside.  It will cause them to do things to show that love and compassion.  If a person has the joy of Christ on the inside they will express that joy on the outside even though they may be going through a trial. If a person has the purity of Christ on the inside will they not adorn themselves in a pure manner? Just a thought.

Yes, they will.  However, your definition of "pure manner" and someone else's may be different.  And that's ok.  God will use you to reach some people and He will use someone else to reach others.  It takes all of us to reach the world.  There are some that won't listen to you, but they will listen to someone you consider "liberal".  God's plan is BIGGER than me, you, or anyone.  And it is most definitely bigger than IFB. It includes IFB, but it is bigger than that.

I also think it's a dangerous thing for any human to equate "purity of Christ on the inside" with what a person is wearing.  That's very judgmental.  Only God knows. 

RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:

Yes.

Could you clarify if how Bruh summarized your position in bold above is true.

Mathew Ward said:
RAIDER said:
Bruh said:
RAIDER said:

Yes.

Could you clarify if how Bruh summarized your position in bold above is true.

Matthew, have you read all 58 pages of this thread?  Because RAIDER's position is crystal clear. 
Asking him to clarify is just going to bring another 58 pages....oh wait....it's all about the numbers!!!!!

Carry on!!!!  (going to get popcorn)

cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:

For example, if a person has Christ's love and compassion on the inside, they will have a heart for people on the outside.  It will cause them to do things to show that love and compassion.  If a person has the joy of Christ on the inside they will express that joy on the outside even though they may be going through a trial. If a person has the purity of Christ on the inside will they not adorn themselves in a pure manner? Just a thought.

Yes, they will.  However, your definition of "pure manner" and someone else's may be different.  And that's ok.  God will use you to reach some people and He will use someone else to reach others.  It takes all of us to reach the world.  There are some that won't listen to you, but they will listen to someone you consider "liberal".  God's plan is BIGGER than me, you, or anyone.  And it is most definitely bigger than IFB. It includes IFB, but it is bigger than that.

I also think it's a dangerous thing for any human to equate "purity of Christ on the inside" with what a person is wearing.  That's very judgmental.  Only God knows.

That's like saying that it is dangerous for any human to equate "compassion of Christ on the inside" with that of sacrificing and helping someone through a difficult time.  If you have the purity of Christ on the inside it will reflect itself by modest dress.  And BTW, that's NOT judgmental.

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:

That's like saying that it is dangerous for any human to equate "compassion of Christ on the inside" with that of sacrificing and helping someone through a difficult time.  If you have the purity of Christ on the inside it will reflect itself by modest dress.  And BTW, that's NOT judgmental.

YES, IT IS!  You have no idea of knowing the purity of Christ in someone's inside!  So, you see their outside and if they are not dressed in a "pure manner" in your opinion, you may assume that either they do not have the purity of Christ inside or they are liberal, backslidden, etc. That IS being judgmental.

cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:

YES, IT IS!  You have no idea of knowing the purity of Christ in someone's inside!  So, you see their outside and if they are not dressed in a "pure manner" in your opinion, you may assume that either they do not have the purity of Christ inside or they are liberal, backslidden, etc. That IS being judgmental.

If I see a brother in need and have the means to help him and be a blessing to him and instead I shut him off and go my way, do I have the compassion of Christ in me?

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:

If I see a brother in need and have the means to help him and be a blessing to him and instead I shut him off and go my way, do I have the compassion of Christ in me?

Is that a trick question?  Because I nearly fell for it.

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:

That would be for only you and God to know.  An unsaved person could see someone in need and help him.  That doesn't mean he has the "compassion of Christ" in him.  He's just compassionate.  You and I have no way of knowing.

A brother could pass by without helping because he didn't notice.  Maybe his heart was heavy and he just wasn't paying attention.  That doesn't mean he doesn't have the "compassion of Christ" in him.

Only God and the person knows the intention of helping and/or ignoring.  I need to make sure that I exhibit the compassion of Christ, but I have no right to judge whether someone has it because of something he did or didn't do.  We don't know the heart of anyone but ourselves.

cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:

Is that a trick question?  Because I nearly fell for it.

It is an honest question.  You are crying "judgmental".  I wanted to see if you were as "judgmental" as me.

cast.sheep said:
That would be for only you and God to know.  An unsaved person could see someone in need and help him.  That doesn't mean he has the "compassion of Christ" in him.  He's just compassionate.  You and I have no way of knowing.

A brother could pass by without helping because he didn't notice.  Maybe his heart was heavy and he just wasn't paying attention.  That doesn't mean he doesn't have the "compassion of Christ" in him.

Only God and the person knows the intention of helping and/or ignoring.  I need to make sure that I exhibit the compassion of Christ, but I have no right to judge whether someone has it because of something he did or didn't do.  We don't know the heart of anyone but ourselves.

While your answer sounds sweet it is not reality.  You have judged some of the people at HAC/FBCH for their actions (and probably rightfully so).  You don't know what is in their heart.  Maybe some of the leadership had a bad year and weren't paying attention.

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:

While your answer sounds sweet it is not reality.  You have judged some of the people at HAC/FBCH for their actions (and probably rightfully so).  You don't know what is in their heart.  Maybe some of the leadership had a bad year and weren't paying attention.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct.  I judge.  And it's ALWAYS wrong.  Thank you for the reminder.  :eek: