Standards of dress

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
I agree.  Applies to skirts and dresses as well.  A very sweet, GODLY woman in our church had a dress on Sunday that was a bit too tight on the backside.  Perhaps she had put on some weight recently.  Who knows. I could see the indention from her thong.  I know she did not realize that.  And if a man looked long enough or had the image running through his imagination causing lust, HE alone is responsible for that.  I am certain that she did not get dressed that morning with the intent of creating lust.  Just because what she had on may have been a bit inappropriate does not make her responsible for a man taking advantage of the situation.  If it was her intent, perhaps so.  But if it wasn't, no.

There are women every day that put on immodest clothing that are doing it because it is stylish.  They are not doing it to make a man look and lust.  That does not excuse them from dressing inappropriately.

According to who?  You?  Perhaps there is a woman who doesn't realize it is "inappropriate" to some. 

According to jihadists.

There are people who think sleeveless tops are "inappropriate".  Who decides what is inappropriate what isn't?  Is there a list somewhere that I don't know about? 

cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
I agree.  Applies to skirts and dresses as well.  A very sweet, GODLY woman in our church had a dress on Sunday that was a bit too tight on the backside.  Perhaps she had put on some weight recently.  Who knows. I could see the indention from her thong.  I know she did not realize that.  And if a man looked long enough or had the image running through his imagination causing lust, HE alone is responsible for that.  I am certain that she did not get dressed that morning with the intent of creating lust.  Just because what she had on may have been a bit inappropriate does not make her responsible for a man taking advantage of the situation.  If it was her intent, perhaps so.  But if it wasn't, no.

There are women every day that put on immodest clothing that are doing it because it is stylish.  They are not doing it to make a man look and lust.  That does not excuse them from dressing inappropriately.

According to who?  You?  Perhaps there is a woman who doesn't realize it is "inappropriate" to some.

No, this is not about "me".  You're not dealing with a Hacker here.  If a woman is wearing a skirt so tight that you can see her thong, it is too tight.  Just a question for you as a gal - if you put on a skirt and it is too tight around your rear do you know it is too tight?

7e0df5dc742bb50d73034a5966c2f4d6.jpg

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:

No, this is not about "me".  You're not dealing with a Hacker here.  If a woman is wearing a skirt so tight that you can see her thong, it is too tight.  Just a question for you as a gal - if you put on a skirt and it is too tight around your rear do you know it is too tight?

Quite honestly....not necessarily.  Yes....her dress was too tight.  That is not the point.  I know her and I know she did not realize it.  We women can be oblivious at times.  And it is hard for us to come to grips with the fact that sometimes we outgrow our favorite outfits.  The point is that if a man noticed that, he should turn his eyes IMMEDIATELY out of respect for her as someone else's wife.  If he does not and the memory lingers causing lust, that is his sin alone.  No man can stand before God and say, "Well.....if her skirt wasn't so tight I wouldn't have sinned.  Therefore we should share the blame".  I don't believe God's gonna buy that. 

cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:

Quite honestly....not necessarily.  Yes....her dress was too tight.  That is not the point.  I know her and I know she did not realize it.  We women can be oblivious at times.  And it is hard for us to come to grips with the fact that sometimes we outgrow our favorite outfits.  The point is that if a man noticed that, he should turn his eyes IMMEDIATELY out of respect for her as someone else's wife.  If he does not and the memory lingers causing lust, that is his sin alone.  No man can stand before God and say, "Well.....if her skirt wasn't so tight I wouldn't have sinned.  Therefore we should share the blame".  I don't believe God's gonna buy that.

Thank you for answering my question.  If she didn't realize it was tight than I believe she was innocent.  Perhaps her husband or a close friend should have mentioned it to her.  You are correct that a man should turn his eyes immediately.  Let's be honest. isn't it a shame that a man goes to church and has to turn his eyes away from a Christian lady who has on a skirt so tight that you can see her thong?

RAIDER said:
Let's be honest. isn't it a shame that a man goes to church and has to turn his eyes away from a Christian lady who has on a skirt so tight that you can see her thong?

Is it OK to stare if you can't see her thong?  8)

Citadel of Truth said:
RAIDER said:
Let's be honest. isn't it a shame that a man goes to church and has to turn his eyes away from a Christian lady who has on a skirt so tight that you can see her thong?

Is it OK to stare if you can't see her thong?  8)

Only if she has a perfect figure.  :)

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:

Thank you for answering my question.  If she didn't realize it was tight than I believe she was innocent.  Perhaps her husband or a close friend should have mentioned it to her.  You are correct that a man should turn his eyes immediately.  Let's be honest. isn't it a shame that a man goes to church and has to turn his eyes away from a Christian lady who has on a skirt so tight that you can see her thong?

You are absolutely correct.  It IS a shame.  Which is why I mentioned in an earlier post that we had a pastor who said he would prefer the women in his church come in pants because women today don't know how to sit modestly in a skirt.  But, it's the world we live in now.  A man can't go ANYWHERE without seeing nakedness and thongs and everything else! Which is why it is SO important for him to learn to control his own mind.  Otherwise he should never leave his house.  EVER.  And he should never watch TV or videos either.  The commercials are sometimes raunchy. 

Don't get me wrong...I DO think Christian ladies should be aware of how their bodies affect men.  And they should try to dress to protect themselves from the eyes of sinful men.  But, in the end, we are all responsible for our own selves.  And churches are full of all kinds of people.  In my opinion, there is too much emphasis on women's dress and not enough on men's thoughts.  It's a wicked world.  We can't control anyone but ourselves.

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:
RAIDER said:

My husband has told me before that something I had on was too tight.  Brave man!  hahaha!  There were plenty of times he made our girls go change before leaving the house.  They were young and developing and what fit yesterday perhaps doesn't fit today.  Yes, we need men who will stand up to their wives and daughters and teach them what he believes is proper and appropriate.  But, he has no right to apply his own rules to someone else's wife and daughters.  Fathers also have the responsibility of teaching their own sons how to deal with this wicked world.  And it begins and ends with self-control.  You can't control what crosses your path, but you CAN control what lingers there. 

cast.sheep said:
You are absolutely correct.  It IS a shame.  Which is why I mentioned in an earlier post that we had a pastor who said he would prefer the women in his church come in pants because women today don't know how to sit modestly in a skirt.  But, it's the world we live in now.  A man can't go ANYWHERE without seeing nakedness and thongs and everything else! Which is why it is SO important for him to learn to control his own mind.  Otherwise he should never leave his house.  EVER.  And he should never watch TV or videos either.  The commercials are sometimes raunchy. 

Don't get me wrong...I DO think Christian ladies should be aware of how their bodies affect men.  And they should try to dress to protect themselves from the eyes of sinful men.  But, in the end, we are all responsible for our own selves.  And churches are full of all kinds of people.  In my opinion, there is too much emphasis on women's dress and not enough on men's thoughts.  It's a wicked world.  We can't control anyone but ourselves.

You and I agree on much.  I believe this is where we disagree.  You don't believe God hold a woman who is dressed immodestly accountable if a man lusts after her.  You believe he is accountable for his lust (and I agree).  While you do think a woman should be aware of how their bodies affect a man, if they cause a man to lust God does not hold them accountable. 

Is this correct or have I put words in your mouth?

cast.sheep said:
But, he has no right to apply his own rules to someone else's wife and daughters. 

Do you care to expound?

cast.sheep said:
Yes, we need men who will stand up to their wives and daughters and teach them what he believes is proper and appropriate.  But, he has no right to apply his own rules to someone else's wife and daughters.
I agree with this. That is why it is so vitally important that we are governed by the Word of God and not man's opinions. Man's opinions are subjective - God's Word is not. 

You can't control what crosses your path, but you CAN control what lingers there.
I agree. I can't always control what I see, but I CAN control what I look at.

I can't help but see the magazine covers in the checkout line at Piggly Wiggly, but that doesn't mean I should stand there and look at them.

RAIDER said:
cast.sheep said:

You and I agree on much.  I believe this is where we disagree.  You don't believe God hold a woman who is dressed immodestly accountable if a man lusts after her.  You believe he is accountable for his lust (and I agree).  While you do think a woman should be aware of how their bodies affect a man, if they cause a man to lust God does not hold them accountable. 

Is this correct or have I put words in your mouth?

I believe God holds accountable a woman who dresses for the purpose of attracting the eyes of men (who is not her own husband).  And it's a battle for us.  Our clothing should not distract people from seeing Jesus IN us.  "Let my life song sing to You". 

cast.sheep said:
I believe God holds accountable a woman who dresses for the purpose of attracting the eyes of men (who is not her own husband).  Our clothing should not distract people from seeing Jesus IN us.  "Let my life song sing to You".

So "purpose" is the deciding factor of right and wrong in modest dress?