Sword of the Lord Board of Directors

Who cares?

A person has every right to be called whatever they want to he called.

I like being called patriotic - all in lower case letters.

RAIDER likes being called RAIDER in all caps.

qwerty likes to called after a keyboard style.

Give the honorary doctorates a rest already. Somw are waaaay  too obsessed with it, and I like to "poke fun" of some of them as much as others do, but in the end, they have an honorary doctorate and most of us don't.

I feel like I'm running a preschool every time thia comes up again.

Whine! Whine! Whine!

16KJV11 said:
Much ado about nothing. ::)

You have perfectly characterized the SOL board of directors.
You took the words out of my mouth.
Nothing, is the perfect description.
I don't think they view themselves in the same way.

patriotic said:
Who cares?

Give the honorary doctorates a rest already. Somw are waaaay  too obsessed with it, and I like to "poke fun" of some of them as much as others do, but in the end, they have an honorary doctorate and most of us don't.

Whine! Whine! Whine!

You need some good wine wine wine.

Will help you relax.

Dr. Jeff Amsbaugh

D.R.E., Midwestern Baptist Seminary;
D.Min., Temple Baptist Seminary;
M.Div., Luther Rice Seminary;
B.A., Tennessee Temple University

patriotic said:
Who cares?

Whine! Whine! Whine!

I agree.  Colleges have a right to give Honorary Doctorates to those who they feel are worthy.  I personally don't feel that some deserve this honor.  That is my opinion.  There are others that I feel are more than worthy.  I think it "cheapens" the honor when you give it to guys that have been employed by the college as they leave to go elsewhere (i.e. Chris Teft).  I think it is good when you give it to guys who have excelled in the areas in which your college majors.

Lets say you have two guys.  They both start identical businesses.  One guy has an Earned Doctorate.  His business is just average.  The other guy's business booms and soon he has multiple branches.  This guy receives a Honorary Doctorate from the college from which he graduated. 

I'll take the second guy every time.  An Earned Doctorate means you studied your field and did the book work and scholastic work needed to receive the Doctorate.  If Honorary Doctorates were given out to those who are truly deserving, what is the problem?

Just because we have some who are not deserving who received Honorary Doctorates doesn't mean we need to throw out the baby with the bath water.

I agree.  Colleges have a right to give Honorary Doctorates to those who they feel are worthy.  I personally don't feel that some deserve this honor.  That is my opinion.  There are others that I feel are more than worthy.  I think it "cheapens" the honor when you give it to guys that have been employed by the college as they leave to go elsewhere (i.e. Chris Teft).  I think it is good when you give it to guys who have excelled in the areas in which your college majors.

Lets say you have two guys.  They both start identical businesses.  One guy has an Earned Doctorate.  His business is just average.  The other guy's business booms and soon he has multiple branches.  This guy receives a Honorary Doctorate from the college from which he graduated. 

I'll take the second guy every time.  An Earned Doctorate means you studied your field and did the book work and scholastic work needed to receive the Doctorate.  If Honorary Doctorates were given out to those who are truly deserving, what is the problem?

Just because we have some who are not deserving who received Honorary Doctorates doesn't mean we need to throw out the baby with the bath water.
[/quote]

The question is not whether a college has the right to give Honorary Doctorates but when a person uses Dr before their name they are implying that they have done the work to have earned it. It is deceitful to imply that you have earned something that you have not earned. The second part is more subjective but shouldn't you be a legitimate college before you had out Honorary Doctorates.

RAIDER said:
patriotic said:
Who cares?

Whine! Whine! Whine!

If I were to receive an honorary doctorate I would personally feel the need to tell those who ask that, it was not earned in a class room.

But that's just me!

Bruh said:
RAIDER said:
patriotic said:
Who cares?

Whine! Whine! Whine!

If I were to receive an honorary doctorate I would personally feel the need to tell those who ask that, it was not earned in a class room.
But that's just me!
In this we agree completely.
I would also only use it where I could clearly note that it's honorary and from where.
If it's used in an introduction the speaker could say this is so & so who pastors such and such church & holds and honorary doctorate for IFB U.

LongGone said:

The question is not whether a college has the right to give Honorary Doctorates but when a person uses Dr before their name they are implying that they have done the work to have earned it. It is deceitful to imply that you have earned something that you have not earned. The second part is more subjective but shouldn't you be a legitimate college before you had out Honorary Doctorates.
[/quote]

First of all define "legitimate college". For most of this countries history colleges were not accredited by anyone. They stood on their reputation alone or were under state regulation. I am not apposed to accreditation but it means little overall. There are accredited colleges and universities who have very low standards as well as ones who provide a world class education.

Within the IFB world, many of these schools provide a practical education in the ministry. The students get a wide range of experience and training in IFB style ministries. For many years HAC students were recruited by non-IFB churches because pastors knew they would have practical knowledge and would have proven they can work. The more recent scandals and the adoption of similar training methods by other schools have basically ended this practice. I know at least a dozen HAC graduates who were recruited by non-IFB ministries in the 80's and they excelled. If you want to hire someone to work in your medium size IFB church you would not recruit a Harvard Divinity or Theology PhD. Someone from a school that think like you and your church may be just what the church needs.

Companies are full or MBA's and engineers who have no practical knowledge and basically don't have a clue. This is why most good universities work hard to provide internships in the summers for their students. I don't think anyone expects to get an academic if they hire a IFB college grad. I think it's fairly well know many IFB pastors have a contempt for traditional higher education & academics. I also think a Harvard PhD would do you little good on the mission field in southeast Asia or Africa.

Honorary doctorates are given out due to some kind of achievement, not as something that is worked for and earned.

We all know what Jesus says about patting oneself on the back, so I have no problem in letting them have their glory now.

sword said:
LongGone said:

First of all define "legitimate college". For most of this countries history colleges were not accredited by anyone. They stood on their reputation alone or were under state regulation. I am not apposed to accreditation but it means little overall. There are accredited colleges and universities who have very low standards as well as ones who provide a world class education.

Within the IFB world, many of these schools provide a practical education in the ministry. The students get a wide range of experience and training in IFB style ministries. For many years HAC students were recruited by non-IFB churches because pastors knew they would have practical knowledge and would have proven they can work. The more recent scandals and the adoption of similar training methods by other schools have basically ended this practice. I know at least a dozen HAC graduates who were recruited by non-IFB ministries in the 80's and they excelled. If you want to hire someone to work in your medium size IFB church you would not recruit a Harvard Divinity or Theology PhD. Someone from a school that think like you and your church may be just what the church needs.

Companies are full or MBA's and engineers who have no practical knowledge and basically don't have a clue. This is why most good universities work hard to provide internships in the summers for their students. I don't think anyone expects to get an academic if they hire a IFB college grad. I think it's fairly well know many IFB pastors have a contempt for traditional higher education & academics. I also think a Harvard PhD would do you little good on the mission field in southeast Asia or Africa.
[/quote]

IFB colleges have definitely taught the "how to" of building churches but have seem to left off the most important and that is the, interpretation of scripture.  Just listen to one of Dr. Chris Tefts sermons, that will tell you everything you need to know of the bible college he taught at for many years.

I agree some depth regarding the Bible is needed.

It's my understanding this is a common problem beyond the IFB circles.

Based on the preaching I have seen on TV and online this issue is widespread.

bgwilkinson said:
Bethany advertises or has advertised in ... The Biblical Evangelist (no longer published)...

Their on-line version still seems to be  going; it's dated Apr 2016.

Walt said:
bgwilkinson said:
Bethany advertises or has advertised in ... The Biblical Evangelist (no longer published)...

Their on-line version still seems to be  going; it's dated Apr 2016.

Is that the paper put out by Sumner?  Is he still alive?

sword said:

Did you just compare HAC and the way they teach interpreting scripture to a tv evangelist?

Bruh said:
sword said:

Did you just compare HAC and the way they teach interpreting scripture to a tv evangelist?

Wouldn't that be a step up?

Bruh said:
sword said:

Improper comparison.
The t.v.evangelist can't humiliate you publicly, at the next Division meeting, if you don't lick his boots enough during his "chapel sermon".

earnestly contend

prophet said:
Bruh said:
sword said:

Improper comparison.
The t.v.evangelist can't humiliate you publicly, at the next Division meeting, if you don't lick his boots enough during his "chapel sermon".

earnestly contend

That'll leave a mark!!!

Smellin Coffee said:
Honorary doctorates are given out due to some kind of achievement, not as something that is worked for and earned.

We all know what Jesus says about patting oneself on the back, so I have no problem in letting them have their glory now.

Honorary doctorates are not given to one's self.  They are given by an institution of higher learning.  If you are given a promotion at work and you become a foreman, does that mean you are patting yourself on the back?