Sword of the Lord Board of Directors

RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Honorary doctorates are given out due to some kind of achievement, not as something that is worked for and earned.

We all know what Jesus says about patting oneself on the back, so I have no problem in letting them have their glory now.

Honorary doctorates are not given to one's self.  They are given by an institution of higher learning.  If you are given a promotion at work and you become a foreman, does that mean you are patting yourself on the back?

No, but if I go around bragging about it and having people call me "Foreman Dan", it seems a little narcissistic to me. I've got no problem with passing out the awards but to advertise it to people who don't know any better is the issue I have with it.

RAIDER said:
Honorary doctorates are not given to one's self. 

Where there's a will HACker, there's a way.

Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Honorary doctorates are given out due to some kind of achievement, not as something that is worked for and earned.

We all know what Jesus says about patting oneself on the back, so I have no problem in letting them have their glory now.

Honorary doctorates are not given to one's self.  They are given by an institution of higher learning.  If you are given a promotion at work and you become a foreman, does that mean you are patting yourself on the back?

No, but if I go around bragging about it and having people call me "Foreman Dan", it seems a little narcissistic to me. I've got no problem with passing out the awards but to advertise it to people who don't know any better is the issue I have with it.

Believe me, I do get what you are saying.  Those with a pride problem have made this a bit messy. 

RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

The question then becomes what is the criteria to have an honorary doctorate conferred upon you?

2 recent cases in point.

This past Friday Hyles Anderson College gave Christ Teftt an honorary doctorate. What has he accomplished to receive an honorary degree?

Then Crown College gave a doctorate to John Wilkerson.

For those of you who want to criticize HAC, Jerry Falwell and Liberty gave out a few questionable ones as well.

Tennessean said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

The question then becomes what is the criteria to have an honorary doctorate conferred upon you?

2 recent cases in point.

This past Friday Hyles Anderson College gave Christ Teftt an honorary doctorate. What has he accomplished to receive an honorary degree?

For those of you who want to criticize HAC, Jerry Falwell and Liberty gave out a few questionable ones as well.

We all have opinions.  Mine is that Wilkerson is deserving, Teft is not.

RAIDER said:
Tennessean said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

2 recent cases in point.

I would agree.

What has John Wilkerson accomplished?

In  separate instances he took churches that were in serious trouble, stabilized them and put them on a road to success. Now he should write a book. He's probably too humble to do so. He has excelled in his field.

What has Chris Teftt accomplished?
I don't know him that well. Maybe someone else can enlighten us.

Tennessean said:
RAIDER said:
Tennessean said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

2 recent cases in point.

I would agree.

What has John Wilkerson accomplished?

In  separate instances he took churches that were in serious trouble, stabilized them and put them on a road to success. Now he should write a book. He's probably too humble to do so. He has excelled in his field.

What has Chris Teftt accomplished?
I don't know him that well. Maybe someone else can enlighten us.

B-I-N-G-o!

Tennessean said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

2 recent cases in point.

I want to expound. In 1988 I went to Liberty U for the commencement of a family member. The Baccalaureate speaker was Sen. Jessie Helms.  They gave him an honorary doctorate. The Commencement speaker was Lt. Col. Oliver North. He received an honorary doctorate. Then there was a pastor from a southern city whose church ran less than 150. He received an honorary doctorate. At an after Baccalaureate gathering, i.e. party, with LU students they openly debated as to why this man received a doctorate. The general consensus was that he was Jerry's friend.

It happens everywhere.

Chris excels at playing a Charismatic TV preacher.
Other than that, can't think of anything.

RAIDER said:
Tennessean said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:
RAIDER said:
Smellin Coffee said:

2 recent cases in point.

Why is Wilkerson deserving?

What about the laymen that stay in the same church for 30 years shouldn't they be the ones getting the honorary doctorate?

Twisted said:
Walt said:
bgwilkinson said:
Bethany advertises or has advertised in ... The Biblical Evangelist (no longer published)...

Their on-line version still seems to be  going; it's dated Apr 2016.

Is that the paper put out by Sumner?  Is he still alive?

Yes, Sumner was (is?) behind it.  He is still alive.  I think he still has a hand in it.

[/quote]

First of all define "legitimate college". For most of this countries history colleges were not accredited by anyone. They stood on their reputation alone or were under state regulation. I am not apposed to accreditation but it means little overall. There are accredited colleges and universities who have very low standards as well as ones who provide a world class education.

Within the IFB world, many of these schools provide a practical education in the ministry. The students get a wide range of experience and training in IFB style ministries. For many years HAC students were recruited by non-IFB churches because pastors knew they would have practical knowledge and would have proven they can work. The more recent scandals and the adoption of similar training methods by other schools have basically ended this practice. I know at least a dozen HAC graduates who were recruited by non-IFB ministries in the 80's and they excelled. If you want to hire someone to work in your medium size IFB church you would not recruit a Harvard Divinity or Theology PhD. Someone from a school that think like you and your church may be just what the church needs.

Companies are full or MBA's and engineers who have no practical knowledge and basically don't have a clue. This is why most good universities work hard to provide internships in the summers for their students. I don't think anyone expects to get an academic if they hire a IFB college grad. I think it's fairly well know many IFB pastors have a contempt for traditional higher education & academics. I also think a Harvard PhD would do you little good on the mission field in southeast Asia or Africa.
[/quote]

IFB colleges have definitely taught the "how to" of building churches but have seem to left off the most important and that is the, interpretation of scripture.  Just listen to one of Dr. Chris Tefts sermons, that will tell you everything you need to know of the bible college he taught at for many years.
[/quote]

I clearly said that "legitimate college" is subjective. Over the years we have beat the accreditation issue to pieces on this forum. Accreditation does go back to the late 19th century. We got indoor plumbing since then too and we value that as important.  I agree that you can make the case that every accredited institution is not the same. I disagree with you that it means little. While not every but significant numbers of employers want a degree from an accredited college. If accreditation was not important why would schools such as Havard or the Naval Academy waste time being accredited if there was not importance to it. They come with great reputations. The fact that some excel without a degree from an accredited institution doesn't make it unimportant. Yes you can point to HAC graduates who have excelled but there are the scores who graduated and came no where close to be able to make it in the ministry and whose Bible knowledge is pathetic. An advanced degree from an accredited reputable school doesn't guarantee success but a degree from an unaccredited school adds an extra challenge to the same success. I am not sure why you think a person with a PhD in theology would not make a good missionary. I am under the opinion that an educated clergy is something to be valued. I think that the brand of IFB that thought 4 years at HAC and off to the ministry was more valued than a seminary education made a mistake. 

Smellin Coffee said:

In many cases, earning a FFF doctorate takes far more work than some of the above.

You don't have to send us money or even pledge to send us students!!

FSSL said:
Smellin Coffee said:

In many cases, earning a FFF doctorate takes far more work than some of the above.

You should give us all one for staying and being loyal to the FFF and not moving over!!

;D

FSSL said:
Smellin Coffee said:

True

Bruh said:
You should give us all one for staying and being loyal to the FFF and not moving over!!

;D

If you want to jump on that mamby, pamby short bus and end up on the wrong side of town where pole dancers swing from their pulpits... then go!!

:)

Here is a loyalty button for you!

b9542c2fadfbe956ff47a7e103982715.jpg

Because these men received honorary doctorates, nothing that they believe or stand for is worth listening to or believing.
They are utter hypocrites and their entire way of life is suspect.
Because Crown College bestowed an honorary doctorate upon John Wilkerson, he is the latest 'hypocrite' and should be scorned and relegated to the junk heap of IFBdom.

16KJV11 said:
Because these men received honorary doctorates, nothing that they believe or stand for is worth listening to or believing.
They are utter hypocrites and their entire way of life is suspect.
Because Crown College bestowed an honorary doctorate upon John Wilkerson, he is the latest 'hypocrite' and should be scorned and relegated to the junk heap of IFBdom.

I wouldn't say all that......we will see if he handles it like many of those he rubs shoulders with do.

You know, being called doctor going forward, having it on everything and so so and so forth.

FSSL said:
Bruh said:
You should give us all one for staying and being loyal to the FFF and not moving over!!\
;D
If you want to jump on that mamby, pamby short bus and end up on the wrong side of town where pole dancers swing from their pulpits... then go!!
Here is a loyalty button for you!
b9542c2fadfbe956ff47a7e103982715.jpg
Do they really have where pole dancers on the other site.

JUST ASKING?