Thai King James Bible?

BALAAM

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Just read from one of the missionaries to Thailand that they are having a ten year anniversary for the Thai King James Bible. Now; Does anyone else thing that is a little foolish to say a 'Thai King James Bible'?

I just read an article where some guy said he believed even the punctuation and chapter divisions are inspired. Common sense says that can't be true and if it was why do folks say that only spelling and punctuation have been changed. (that is not true either)

I was a staunch KJV only guy but these guys are getting wierd.

BALAAM said:
Just read from one of the missionaries to Thailand that they are having a ten year anniversary for the Thai King James Bible. Now; Does anyone else thing that is a little foolish to say a 'Thai King James Bible'?

I just read an article where some guy said he believed even the punctuation and chapter divisions are inspired. Common sense says that can't be true and if it was why do folks say that only spelling and punctuation have been changed. (that is not true either)

What I want is a copy of the Chinese King James Bible.  After you're done reading it, you'll want to read it again in about an hour.

Twisted said:
BALAAM said:

What I want is a copy of the Chinese King James Bible.  After you're done reading it, you'll want to read it again in about an hour.

BALAAM said:

Indeed.

Presumably, it is a Thai Bible translated from the King James.  I'd prefer that a translator used the Received Text and translate from Greek/Hebrew, but failing that, the KJ is the next-best starting point.

But calling it a Thai KJV seems to be pandering to the wackos -- better would the a Thai Received Text Bible.

What is the deal with the Chinese KJV? Just curious since I have a missionary friend that was dropped from a mission board due to an issue with the translation to Chinese.

I was so hoping the KJVO one version only all others are the Devil's Bibles doctrine would die the death it so richly deserves.

Maybe I was wrong.

bgwilkinson said:
I was so hoping the KJVO one version only all others are the Devil's Bibles doctrine would die the death it so richly deserves.
Maybe I was wrong.
Among Fundamental churches the emphasis on use of the Kings James Bible seems to be growing not dying.

Some sources show the number of King James Bibles printed last year was up from a few years ago.

sword said:
bgwilkinson said:
Maybe I was wrong.
Among Fundamental churches the emphasis on use of the Kings James Bible seems to be growing not dying.

Some sources show the number of King James Bibles printed last year was up from a few years ago.

Does that show one version onlyism all others are Devil's Bibles is growing?

I have more versions of the KJV than all others put together.

Does that mean I believe and espouse one version onlyism all others are Devil's Bibles?

One big reason to print the KJV in the US is that you don't have to pay anyone a royalty to print it. Seems like a Baptist would be happy to save on their printing costs. I think it makes great sense too.

sword said:

A peer reviewed report put out by Purdue University - if I remember correctly; I have it in my notes somewhere - in 2011 established that a majority of Americans that read the Bible still use the KJV. Something like 89 million, give or take.

Tom Brennan said:
... in 2011 established that a majority of Americans that read the Bible still use the KJV. Something like 89 million, give or take.

If it ain't broke, it don't need fixin'.

Twisted said:
Tom Brennan said:
... in 2011 established that a majority of Americans that read the Bible still use the KJV. Something like 89 million, give or take.
If it ain't broke, it don't need fixin'.
I just wondering?

For those of you that hate KJVO'ism so much, do you have a preferred version? Are their Bible versions that you dislike? Are you fine with my preference for the KJV as long as I don't share that preference with you or others? If a pastor says he "only preaches from the KJV because that's his preference but your welcome to use whatever version you like", is that ok. I just sense a hatred for those who prefer the KJV for whatever reason.

The KJV is the one I was raised with, saved with, my pastor has always preached with, gave my Oaths of Enlistment with, used to swear the oath as a witness with, used at my wedding, saw my children saved with, have led many to the Lord with & will be used at my funeral. It's all I know and I think i'll stick with it. If I do switch I may try the Modern English Version (MEV). 

KJVOism is not simply a preference. It is a belief that other versions are not God's Word and those who use other versions are less sanctified (or not even saved).

FSSL said:
KJVOism is not simply a preference. It is a belief that other versions are not God's Word and those who use other versions are less sanctified (or not even saved).

That is the nut of the whole rub.

It is the denigration of the Word of God by those who claim only the KJV is the Word of God.

They border on blasphemy of The Holy Spirit the breather of the very Words of Scripture.

It is an irrational hatred of God's Word by the KJVO.

Yes, agree with the above two posts. I personally am ashamed that for a significant portion of my Christian life, I actually had the temerity to congratulate myself on my good fortune to have been truly saved, as in: saved by the use of a KJV. I marveled that I was chosen to be one of God's true elect. I cringed at the thought of all those Methodists, Evangelicals, etc that were going to hell THINKING they were Christians but not having used the KJV, so weren't they going to have a RUDE awakening when they met their Maker!?  :-[  I didn't gloat, to be honest, I really did marvel. Why did He choose me to get saved the right way, into the right (IFB KJO) church? Why did others not merit that same favor? I trusted His foreknowledge and accepted that He knew what He was doing, but it always rather disturbed / puzzled me that only people who could understand Elizabethan English or were witnessed to by one who did could be saved...but that is what I was taught and I believed everything I was taught. 

FSSL said:

KJVO is a fairly broad term used for a wide variety of beliefs.  One view is that the KJV is "advanced revelation" and corrects errors in the Greek & Hebrew (the view that Ruckman held, as I understand it).  Others claim that the words themselves have some mystical, spiritual power that was somehow magically carried over the the KJV (Bob Gray - TX). Such people use weird phrases such as "the KJV preserves the inspiration" of Scripture.  This latter group seems to follow Gail Riplinger and despises commentaries and lexicons.

Inspiration is the process by which God gave to holy men His words. The Bible is the result.  I believe that God has preserved the Scriptures, but to talk of "preserving the inspiration" is meaningless drivel.

I do think that modern versions are the result of corrupt texts and/or scholarship.  They have part of the Word of God, but they leave much out.  I'll stick with the Reformation text (the Received Text) from which the KJV was taken.

The KJV also has textual errors that are not found in any Greek or Hebrew mss

... translation errors

... transmission errors

The KJV, a man-translated Bible suffers from man's inability to reach perfection.

Unlike the KJVO, those of us who do not prefer the KJV still refer to it as God's Word. We never say it has the part of the Word of God. The KJV is the Word of God, even with the many kinds of errors found in it.

The KJVO stumbles over errors and finds himself precariously denying other versions are the Word of God, in full.

If God is not the author of confusion why would he want so many versions to be correct?
1 Corinthians 14:33
For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

Which of these are "Gods Word" and which are just money making ventures or attempts by the devil to remove key parts of God's word?

Abbreviated Bible - TAB - 1971, eliminates duplications, includes the Apocrypha
American Standard Version - ASV - 1901, a.k.a. Standard American Edition, Revised Version, the American version of the Holy Bible, Revised Version
American Translation (Beck) - AAT - 1976
American Translation (Smith-Goodspeed) - SGAT - 1931
Amplified Bible - AB - 1965, includes explanation of words within text
Aramaic Bible (Targums) - ABT - 1987, originally translated from the Hebrew into the Aramaic
Aramaic New Covenant - ANCJ - 1996, a translation and transliteration of the New Covenant
Authentic New Testament - ANT - 1958
Barclay New Testament - BNT - 1969
Basic Bible - TBB - 1950, based upon a vocabulary of 850 words
Bible Designed to Be Read as Literature - BDRL - 1930, stresses literary qualities of the Bible, includes the Apocrypha
Bible Reader - TBR - 1969, an interfaith version, includes the Apocrypha
Cassirer New Testament - CNT - 1989
Common English New Testament - CENT - 1865
Complete Jewish Bible - CJB - 1989, a Messianic Jewish translation
Concordant Literal New Testament - CLNT - 1926
Confraternity of Christian Doctrine Translation - CCDT - 1953, includes the Apocrypha
Contemporary English Version - CEV - 1992, includes Psalms and Proverbs
Coptic Version of the New Testament - CVNT - 1898, based on translations from northern Egypt
Coverdale Bible - TCB - 1540, includes the Apocrypha
Darby Holy Bible - DHB - 1923
Dartmouth Bible - TDB - 1961, an abridgment of the King James Version, includes the Apocrypha
De Nyew Testament in Gullah - NTG - 2005
Dead Sea Scrolls Bible - DSSB - 1997, translated from Dead Sea Scrolls documents, includes the Apocrypha
Documents of the New Testament - DNT - 1934
Douay-Rheims Bible - DRB - 1899
Emphasized Bible - EBR - 1959, contains signs of emphasis for reading
Emphatic Diaglott - EDW - 1942
English Standard Version - ESV - 2001, a revision of the Revised Standard Version
English Version of the Polyglott Bible - EVPB - 1858, the English portion of an early Bible having translations into several languages
Geneva Bible - TGB - 1560, popular version just prior to the translation of the KJV, includes the Apocrypha
Godbey Translation of the New Testament - GTNT - 1905
God's Word - GW - 1995, a.k.a Today's Bible Translation
Holy Bible in Modern English - HBME - 1900
Holy Scriptures (Harkavy) - HSH - 1951
Holy Scriptures (Leeser) - HSL - 1905
Holy Scriptures (Menorah) - HSM - 1973, a.k.a. Jewish Family Bible
Inclusive Version - AIV - 1995, stresses equality of the sexes and physically handicapped, includes Psalms
Inspired Version - IV - 1867, a revision of the King James Version
Interlinear Bible (Green) - IB - 1976, side-by-side Hebrew/Greek and English
International Standard Version - ISV - 1998
Jerusalem Bible (Catholic) - TJB - 1966, includes the Apocrypha
Jerusalem Bible (Koren) - JBK - 1962, side-by-side Hebrew and English
Jewish Bible for Family Reading - JBFR - 1957, includes the Apocrypha
John Wesley New Testament - JWNT - 1755, a correction of the King James Version
King James Version - KJV - 1611, a.k.a. Authorized Version, originally included the Apocrypha
Kleist-Lilly New Testament - KLNT - 1956
Knox Translation - KTC - 1956, includes the Apocrypha
Lamsa Bible - LBP - 1957, based on Peshitta manuscripts
Lattimore New Testament - LNT - 1962, a literal translation
Letchworth Version in Modern English - LVME - 1948
Living Bible - LB - 1971, a paraphrase version
McCord's New Testament Translation of the Everlasting Gospel - MCT - 1989
Message - TM - 1993, a.k.a. New Testament in Contemporary English, a translation in street language.
Modern Reader's Bible - MRB - 1923, stresses literary qualities, includes the Apocrypha
Modern Speech New Testament - MSNT - 1902, an attempt to present the Bible in effective, intelligible English
Moffatt New Translation - MNT - 1922
New American Bible - NAB - 1987, includes the Apocrypha
New American Standard Version - NAS - 1977
New Berkeley Version in Modern English - NBV - 1967
New Century Version - NCV - 1987
New English Bible - NEB - 1970, includes the Apocrypha
New Evangelical Translation - NET - 1992, a translation aimed at missionary activity
New International Version - NIV - 1978
New Jerusalem Bible - NJB - 1985, includes the Apocrypha
New JPS Version - NJPS - 1988
New King James Version - NKJ - 1990
New Life Version - NLV - 1969, a translation designed to be useful when English is used as a second language.
New Living Translation - NLT - 1996, a dynamic-equivalence translation
New Millenium Bible - NMB - 1999, a contemporary English translation
New Revised Standard Version - NRS - 1989, the authorized revision of the Revised Standard Version
New Testament in Plain English - WPE - 1963, a version using common words only
New Testament: An Understandable Version - NTUV - 1995, a limited edition version
New Translation (Jewish) - NTJ - 1917
New World Translation - NWT - 1984
Norlie's Simplified New Testament - NSNT - 1961, includes Psalms
Original New Testament - ONT - 1985, described by publisher as a radical translation and reinterpretation
Orthodox Jewish Brit Chadasha - OJBC - 1996, an Orthodox version containing Rabbinic Hebrew terms
People's New Covenant - PNC - 1925, a version translated from the meta-physical standpoint
Phillips Revised Student Edition - PRS - 1972
Recovery Version - RcV - 1991, a reference version containing extensive notes
Reese Chronological Bible - RCB - 1980, an arrangement of the King James Version in chronological order
Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible - SNB - 1976, a version whose concern is the true name and titles of the creator and his son
Restored NT - PRNT - 1914, version giving interpretation according to ancient philosophy & psychology
Revised English Bible - REB - 1989, a revision of the New English Bible
Revised Standard Version - RSV - 1952, a revision of the American Standard Version
Riverside New Testament - RNT - 1923, written in the living English language of the time of the translation
Septuagint - LXX - c. 200 BCE, the earliest version of the Old Testament scriptures, includes the Apocrypha
Shorter Bible - SBK - 1925, eliminates duplications
Spencer New Testament - SCM - 1941
Stone Edition of the Tanach - SET - 1996, side-by-side Hebrew and English
Swann New Testament - SNT - 1947, no chapters, only paragraphs, with verses numbered consecutively.
Today's English New Testament - TENT - 1972
Today's English Version - TEV - 1976, a.k.a. Good News Bible
Twentieth Century New Testament - TCNT - 1904
Unvarnished New Testament - UNT - 1991, principal sentence elements kept in the original order of the Greek
Versified Rendering of the Complete Gospel Story - VRGS - 1980, the gospel books written in poetic form,
Westminster Version of the Sacred Scriptures - WVSS - 1929
Wiclif Translation - TWT - 1380, a very early version translated into English
William Tindale Newe Testament - WTNT - 1989, an early version with spelling and punctuation modernized
William Tyndale Translation - WTT - 1530, early English version, includes the Pentateuch
Word Made Fresh - WMF - 1988, a paraphrase with humour and familiar names.
Worrell New Testament - WAS - 1904
Young's Literal Translation, Revised Edition - YLR - 1898, a strictly literal translation

Flip answer. God is not confused. He left us His word. There are many editions of His word. Pick one. Study to shew thyself approved.

brainisengaged said:
Flip answer. God is not confused. He left us His word. There are many editions of His word. Pick one. Study to shew thyself approved.
But when they differ in word and meaning how can they all be his word (words).
I would understand if someone took the position that only the original Hebrew & Aramaic were Gods words, and all translations are just man interpretation of the original. What I don't believe is that God would want us to use all these differing versions and call them all Gods word. If 5 people quote me 5 different ways with 5 different meanings, they can't all be correct.

I don't make a case for any one version, but they all can not be correct. I have chosen to use the KJV & figure it's up to others to choose what right for them.

sword said:
But when they differ in word and meaning how can they all be his word (words).

When the KJV says in the Old Testament: Thou shalt not commit kill... Then

The KJV says in the New Testament: Thou shalt not commit murder

... the differences in meaning can be accepted by understanding that one is more precise than the other and that "murder" is the more correct reading.

Since the KJV translation committees did not have consistency, we don't react by saying that God is not the author of confusion... We just realize that God uses imperfect men to give us an appreciable amount of Bibles for colorful word study!