The Free Will Challenge

If you truly have free will, then you should be able to accept and complete this challenge:

Exercise your will to never again commit a sin of thought or deed.

Let me know how you do.

I bet half of you failed simply by your reaction to reading this challenge. ;)
Mar 1:15 - And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel. . No where in scripture does it say God believes or repents for anyone.

Let's assume that what you say is true.

God:

I think I'll plant a tree with delicious looking fruit in the garden with the humans and then tell them not to eat the fruit. Then I'll let the father of lies into the garden to deceive them.

Oh My Self! They ate it!!! I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you! I never saw that coming!

So is God the author of sin, or not? I say yes. It all went according to plan. They ate of their own will, but they were still fulfilling the will of God.

And it was a GOOD plan. It was the only way the objects of his mercy could really get to know God's power, righteousness, wrath, mercy, etc. He wants us to truly know him.
Rebellion and warning by God to NOT eat off of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil disobeyed makes it Adam’s sin not Gods who is not able to sin because He is holy. If God told Adam and Eve to not do something while all all along God determined for them to do what He told them not to do would make God dishonest and a liar , and He isn’t either.

Rebellion and warning by God to NOT eat off of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil disobeyed makes it Adam’s sin not Gods who is not able to sin because He is holy. If God told Adam and Eve to not do something while all all along God determined for them to do what He told them not to do would make God dishonest and a liar , and He isn’t either.
Welcome to the forum. Interesting thread you've revived, but that dude you are addressing has been gone for many years and isn't likely to return soon. ☺️

Thanks for the info. I registered a couple days ago.
You're welcome. I appreciate your your perspective on not making God the author of mankinds sins. I am not a calvinist, but In fairness to them, they likewise do not attribute responsibility of man's sin to God, yet frequently will use language of a predeterministic nature that seems like that indeed is the logical conclusion of their thoughts.

You're welcome. I appreciate your your perspective on not making God the author of mankinds sins. I am not a calvinist, but In fairness to them, they likewise do not attribute responsibility of man's sin to God, yet frequently will use language of a predeterministic nature that seems like that indeed is the logical conclusion of their thoughts.
Agreed if God determined for Adam and Eve to disobey Him after He warned them and commanded them not to eat off that tree He would not be honest and would be a liar, and God cannot lie due to His holiness. I think their major problem, from talking to them, that they believe a dead man cannot approach God, and I agree. Jesus said no man comes to the Son unless the Father draws him. When drawn to Jesus people either accept or reject the light God gives them.

Rebellion and warning by God to NOT eat off of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil disobeyed makes it Adam’s sin not Gods who is not able to sin because He is holy.

"God is not able to sin" is an interesting assertion to make in a discussion about free will. Everyone on the Arminian side that I've discussed this with would probably aver that given a choice in which they must sin or not sin, free will means a person may freely choose either. Do we really live in a world where man's will is freer than God's?

If God told Adam and Eve to not do something while all all along God determined for them to do what He told them not to do would make God dishonest and a liar , and He isn’t either.

It seems to me that would be true if God warned Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit, while at the same time he programmed them to eat the fruit. Which isn't the case--Adam ate willingly (1 Timothy 2:14). All Calvinists agree that God decreed or authorized the Fall, and yet Adam sinned of his own volition. We're compatibilists.

"God is not able to sin" is an interesting assertion to make in a discussion about free will. Everyone on the Arminian side that I've discussed this with would probably aver that given a choice in which they must sin or not sin, free will means a person may freely choose either. Do we really live in a world where man's will is freer than God's?

It seems to me that would be true if God warned Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit, while at the same time he programmed them to eat the fruit. Which isn't the case--Adam ate willingly (1 Timothy 2:14). All Calvinists agree that God decreed or authorized the Fall, and yet Adam sinned of his own volition. We're compatibilists.
Adam and Eve made a choice to disobey God who had commanded and warned them NOT to eat off of the tree.

Both are positions that can be backed by Scripture..
But then again who could say any false teaching can be backed by scripture. Doesn't mean you don't need to keep studying to make sure one is on a right ground.
.and the debate will NEVER be settled in this world.
You'll for sure see at least some people that don't settle the issue. I've seen some which have come to a new understanding and left Calvinism. To them it became settled.
If a person is saved and knows it, that's all that matters....PERIOD!
Sorry Average Joe but that doesn't answer how Calvinism can turn people away from God as they don't consider him gracious, loving and fair. Jesus came and revealed the nature and character of God and that is something God wants rightly taught to the people of humanity. It does matter and can matter.

I am not a calvinist, but In fairness to them, they likewise do not attribute responsibility of man's sin to God, yet frequently will use language of a predeterministic nature that seems like that indeed is the logical conclusion of their thoughts.
I would agree they try to say what you say...not denying that. However they need to set aside therefore the Westminister Confession which says

God from all eternity, did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass; yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin, nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures; nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established.

Yes they add on "...yet so as thereby neither is God the author of sin....." I'd say however they can't have it both ways. If they're going to claim he ordains whatever comes to pass that must include sin. It can't be either that well God just allows sin.....if that was their position they would be agreeing with Non-Calvinists. Ordaining must mean God creates the influence for the sin to take place but in backtracking YES they'll say God is not responsible for man's sin. The language they use they don't say responsible but they do say ordains all. Truly no difference.

But then again who could say any false teaching can be backed by scripture. Doesn't mean you don't need to keep studying to make sure one is on a right ground.

You'll for sure see at least some people that don't settle the issue. I've seen some which have come to a new understanding and left Calvinism. To them it became settled.

Sorry Average Joe but that doesn't answer how Calvinism can turn people away from God as they don't consider him gracious, loving and fair. Jesus came and revealed the nature and character of God and that is something God wants rightly taught to the people of humanity. It does matter and can matter.
You seem to have come to these forums with an agenda. Do you know me? Do you know what I think, or which position I hold? No. Am I a Calvinist? Have I anywhere stated I support TULIP in any way, shape, or form? Am I an Arminian? Am I a Calminian? Both sides have come to conclusions...most probably not so good. I've seen some who hold to Calvinism who have lived victorious Christian lives and NOT pushed the agenda or soteriology on others...who haven't even made it an issue. I've found the same for some Arminian sympathizers. I've also seen both sides affect how people live their lives in a negative way. I've seen some who have misinterpeted free will and have said one could lose their salvation...guess they think God is an Indian Giver. I've seen some who have questioned their salvation in the Calvinist field because they weren't living perfect, victorious lives. I have a brother who has asked God to kill him if he's not part of the elect, though he claims he knows Christ as his savior. It's frustrating to see either side misinterpret scripture for their own ends.

Adam and Eve made a choice to disobey God who had commanded and warned them NOT to eat off of the tree.
Before the fall, Adam and Eve had both the ability to sin (posse pecarre) and the ability not to sin (posse non-pecarre). It was only prior to the fall that they had a "Perfect" free will. After the fall, they lost the ability not to sin (non-posse non-pecarre) which also means they lost their so-called "Free Will" not to sin. Mankind is therefore enslaved, in bondage to, and is dead in trespasses and sin (Eph 2:1). Mankind therefore does not have the ability to do anything that pleases God.

God on the other hand has the ABSOLUTE INABILITY to sin (non-posse pecarre). Does this mean that God does not have a free will of his own? God also cannot be wrong, God cannot change, nor can he lie.

Neither a perfect, holy God or sinful, fallen men have the ability to do anything contrary to the nature of their being.

I've also seen both sides affect how people live their lives in a negative way.
Yes. Still doesn't mean there isn't a place for people to be taught on just what is the gracious, kind, loving character of God or what God is really like for the goodness of God can lead many to repentance. If they have a wrong way of thinking about God it can drive them away.

Yes. Still doesn't mean there isn't a place for people to be taught on just what is the gracious, kind, loving character of God or what God is really like for the goodness of God can lead many to repentance. If they have a wrong way of thinking about God it can drive them away.
Again...the obvious stated...UGH!

I would agree they try to say what you say...not denying that. However they need to set aside therefore the Westminister Confession which says

God from all eternity, did, by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely, and unchangeably ordain whatsoever comes to pass; yet so, as thereby neither is God the author of sin, nor is violence offered to the will of the creatures; nor is the liberty or contingency of second causes taken away, but rather established.

Yes they add on "...yet so as thereby neither is God the author of sin....." I'd say however they can't have it both ways. If they're going to claim he ordains whatever comes to pass that must include sin. It can't be either that well God just allows sin.....if that was their position they would be agreeing with Non-Calvinists. Ordaining must mean God creates the influence for the sin to take place but in backtracking YES they'll say God is not responsible for man's sin. The language they use they don't say responsible but they do say ordains all. Truly no difference.
I think I’m gonna like you.😊 I never could resolve how the adamant hard-core five point Calvinist resolved what I seen as doublespeak in regards to the issue of ordaining all that comes to pass, and that not being equivalent to God being responsible for sin.

I think I’m gonna like you.😊 I never could resolve how the adamant hard-core five point Calvinist resolved what I seen as doublespeak in regards to the issue of ordaining all that comes to pass, and that not being equivalent to God being responsible for sin.
Their two opposing statements can't be reconciled and it's really just as simple as that. Would God make us do mental gymnastics that Calvinists beliefs makes one do, he ordains sin, but then again....well he doesn't he not really responsible yet oh yeah, he ordained it all. It's outrageous that any rational person would even consider that makes sense.

I like to provide a mental picture of how one should respond to Calvinists teachings. Think of people on a beach throwing a frisbee. You know how one throwing it does so fast and hard? One really should throw away Calvinism from their thinking in like manner don't even entertain such a strange way of thinking for second.

Would God make us do mental gymnastics that Calvinists beliefs makes one do, he ordains sin, but then again....well he doesn't he not really responsible yet oh yeah, he ordained it all.

There's no mental gymnastics at all. God works righteousness and sanctification in his people. He doesn't work unrighteousness and sin in those who aren't his people. He isn't the author of sin because they author their own sins. He just permits them to sin themselves to death.

There's no mental gymnastics at all. God works righteousness and sanctification in his people. He doesn't work unrighteousness and sin in those who aren't his people. He isn't the author of sin because they author their own sins. He just permits them to sin themselves to death.
Sounds like double-speak to those who hold to the position of free will....I'm jus' sayin'! ;) LOL

Sounds like double-speak to those who hold to the position of free will....I'm jus' sayin'! ;) LOL
Non-Cals are quite funny how they complain that God won't allow people to have a free will in order to "Choose Christ" but then they complain when God gives them a free will in order to "Choose to sin!"

I say that man has a completely free will but with that FREE WILL, he will FREELY choose to run from God and remain in darkness.