The Greatest Sermon Ever Preached

Fresh Air

Elect
Reaction score
For the past six months I've been working on the biggest writing project I've ever a done. It is a 270 page book on the Sermon on the Mount. It is has just been released this morning and I wanted to make it available to you. My primary vehicle to sell it is a new website I've built called brennanspen.com. There you will find information about the book, a sample chapter, the table of contents, and some testimonials. There are also links to purchase the book. It is available in softcover and hardcover through Amazon and Barnes and Noble. It is also available in digital format through Kindle, Nook, and iTunes. This is rooted in a series of messages I preached several years ago but I worked very hard to make the book more than just a transcription of those messages. I very much wanted to write something that would stand the test of time. You all will have to determine whether I did or not. And knowing this place you all won't be shy about telling me.

And so the grand adventure of being an author begins...

http://brennanspen.com/

Written like a true Pharisee.  Right from the start, it is poorly reasoned, and I would not recommend it to anyone.  You totally miss the point of, “Love God and do as you please.”  I pity your congregation. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
Written like a true Pharisee.  Right from the start, it is poorly reasoned, and I would not recommend it to anyone.  You totally miss the point of, “Love God and do as you please.”  I pity your congregation.

I missed the point... Alternatively, we could say that he missed the consequence. I don't write about the consequence much in my book b/c that isn't the point of the book but those consequences have been dreadful.

Judges 17:6 ...but every man did that which was right in his own eyes.

I look forward to reading your book.  Just bought it for my kindle. 

Tom Brennan said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

I missed the point... Alternatively, we could say that he missed the consequence.

There are no consequences to "Love God and do as you please" (aside from being persecuted for doing so).  The fact that you think there are proves that you missed the point. 

Tom Brennan said:
Judges 17:6 ...but every man did that which was right in his own eyes.

Again, the fact that you think this could possibly apply to what Augustine was saying displays your lack of understanding.

The "Sermon on the Mount" wasn't the greatest sermon ever preached!!!

The Sermon on the Mount was a sermon of condemnation. A sermon detailing the utter failings of the Jewish nation to grasp their own sin.

Mater was absolutely right. If you fail to grasp this...... then you have learned nothing.

Show me one verse in the sermon on the mount that presented a solution for their sin? It presented a demand for righteousness that they were incapable of meeting.

Mat 5:13  Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

And they were. They were judged for their rejection.

praise_yeshua said:
Show me one verse in the sermon on the mount that presented a solution for their sin? It presented a demand for righteousness that they were incapable of meeting.

Okay. How far will we need to progress into the Sermon on the Mount to find the solution to sin? Hmmmmm...

Matthew 5:2–3 (KJV 1900)
2 And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying,
3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Done. Next question?

"Magna Charta"?
Really?
I mean, come on Tom, I like you, I really do, but...

I dunno, maybe someday I'll read it. It'll probably be a while though.

Tom Brennan said:
praise_yeshua said:

Okay. How far will we need to progress into the Sermon on the Mount to find the solution to sin? Hmmmmm...

Done. Next question?

Get a grip. He wasn't talking to anyone that was poor in spirit? Their answer was "we've never been in bondage to any man".

Why don't you read a little further.... maybe a few verses past the "Sermon"...

Mat 8:10  When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.
Mat 8:11  And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 8:12  But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Tom Brennan said:
praise_yeshua said:

Done. Next question?

That isn't a solution for sin.  A solution requires an action you can take.  You can't will yourself to be poor in spirit or merciful or meek or pure in heart, etc.  These are statements of fact, which are contrasted by those who lack these qualities and seek to follow the law for righteousness. 

praise_yeshua said:
Get a grip. He wasn't talking to anyone that was poor in spirit? Their answer was "we've never been in bondage to any man".

Mat 8:10  When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.
Mat 8:11  And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 8:12  But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Are you saying that no one in the Israel of Jesus' day had faith in Him and got saved? I don't think you are for such a position is self-evidently wrong so I must not be following you correctly. Can you reword it?

The Rogue Tomato said:
That isn't a solution for sin.  A solution requires an action you can take.  You can't will yourself to be poor in spirit or merciful or meek or pure in heart, etc.  These are statements of fact, which are contrasted by those who lack these qualities and seek to follow the law for righteousness.

A) Who said anything about willing yourself? B) The solution for sin is Jesus, and it begins with a deep conviction of your own sinfulness. In my chapter on that beatitude:

One of the criticisms leveled against the Sermon on the Mount in our day is the idea that it has no Christian doctrine in it. This view holds the Sermon to be simply a collection of moral ethics. In reality, the Sermon begins in its very first sentence with an incredible doctrinal truth. This doctrinal truth has direct bearing on both salvation, as well as other aspects of the Christian life. It absolutely must be embraced in order to go to Heaven. You cannot enter Heaven without embracing poverty of spirit. Conversely, if you do, Heaven comes within your reach. Heaven is the blessing at stake. Let us give this opening verse our most diligent attention.
What is it to be poor in spirit? It is a realization of our utter need. It is when we grasp our complete poverty in all things spiritual. There are two different original language words translated poor in the New Testament. One of them means “working poor” such as the garbage picker who barely keeps body and soul together by finding and selling scrap metal. The other means “beggar” such as someone who is so bereft of any other option that they simply sit there with a cup and feebly ask passersby for spare change. The Scripture uses the word for beggar here.

I live in Chicago, one of America's great cities. I do not live in the suburbs but in the heart of the city itself. On a daily basis I am accosted by beggars. What a series of unfortunate events it must take to produce in a normally proud man the realization that he must humble himself to such an extent! And make no mistake, it is humbling. One time in my life I have gone, hat in hand, wherever I could to find money. Early in our married life my wife and I were faced with the heartbreaking task of burying our first child, and I literally had no money with which to do so. I was turned away when I tried to borrow it through traditional means, and so I was forced to go to those I loved and simply ask. God, in His kindness, provided; but I will never forget how that situation rubbed salt into the weeping wounds of my heart.

Whom does God delight in? He delights in the meek, the lowly, and the humble. He is drawn to the beggar in spirit. Alternatively, whom does God reject? Those who think they are just fine. Thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: (Luke 10.21) The self-emptying conviction that, before God, we are void of everything good lies at the foundation of all spiritual excellence. We cannot even begin the Christian life via the new birth without a poverty of spirit. We must be willing to admit that we are sinners headed to hell completely devoid of hope outside of Jesus Christ. We cannot live that Christian life well without constantly opening up the Word of God. It is humility which drives teachability.

John Gill, the seventeenth century English divine, well described being poor in spirit this way: “All mankind are spiritually poor; they have nothing to eat that is fit and proper; nor any clothes to wear, but rags; nor are they able to purchase either; they have no money to buy with; they are in debt, owe ten thousand talents, and have nothing to pay; and in such a condition, that they are not able to help themselves.”
In addition to being a beggar, the original language word poor is akin to other Greek words meaning to be terrified, to fall down, or to fail. We must realize that in all things spiritual we constantly fail. We must come in true spiritual humility and beg of God. It is only when we come to be truly terrified of our own condition that His blessing comes into our life.

This is so contrary to the spirit of our age. Bookstores, television shows, and seminars are replete with instructions to enable our self-confidence and our self-esteem. We are routinely told that we must believe in ourselves. But is God drawn to people like this? Does He pour out His blessings on those full of self-confidence and self-esteem, those who listen to their own heart, those who follow their own dreams, and believe in themselves? Most assuredly, He is not drawn to this. God is drawn to those who come to Him in utter and complete dependence. He is drawn to those who are convinced of their own inability and unworthiness.
You can have your self-confidence and your self-esteem. You can believe in yourself all you want to. But you will never partake of the blessings of Heaven until you empty yourself of yourself and come to the throne of grace as a complete beggar in spirit. It is only in this way, deeply conscious of your own sin, that you will find the door of salvation into Heaven. And it is only in this way, deeply conscious of your own unworthiness, that you will find the door to a blessed, happy, fulfilling life lived well in the service of the King. 

Tom Brennan said:
praise_yeshua said:

Are you saying that no one in the Israel of Jesus' day had faith in Him and got saved? I don't think you are for such a position is self-evidently wrong so I must not be following you correctly. Can you reword it?

No. I'm not saying such.

The Sermon on the Mount was an condemnation of national Israel. It gave no solution for sin. None. Jesus didn't even offer Himself as the Savior of the Jewish people during the sermon. My reference to Matthew 8 was to prove that Jesus found more faith in a Roman Centurion than he did in all of Israel.

The way you're taking sermon the mount..... you want people to think there is some magical infusion of power upon people to meet the requirements found in the Sermon. If they would just listen and do things in the sermon, they would be okay.

The proper response to the Sermon on the mount is one of "self guilt" and "realization of sin." Jesus often did such things. He spoke in such ways as only those who really sought to learn of Him could understand Him.....

Remember when Jesus said he hadn't come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners? Do you really think Jesus spoke to some righteous people somewhere that didn't need Him? NO. He was making the point that there is NONE righteous. No.... NOT ONE.

You think too highly of yourself to see such things. Most people do.

Tom Brennan said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

A) Who said anything about willing yourself? B) The solution for sin is Jesus, and it begins with a deep conviction of your own sinfulness. In my chapter on that beatitude:

You're seeing a bridge that isn't there. You're reading the Sermon outside of its context. You're creating a bridge to the book of Romans directly from Matthew 5. It doesn't exist.

praise_yeshua said:
The way you're taking sermon the mount..... you want people to think there is some magical infusion of power upon people to meet the requirements found in the Sermon. If they would just listen and do things on the sermon, they would be okay.

The proper response to the Sermon on the mount is one of "self guilt" and "realization of sin." Jesus often did such things. He spoke in such ways as only those who really sought to learn of Him could understand Him.....

Remember when Jesus said he hadn't come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners? Do you really think Jesus spoke to some righteous people that didn't need Him? NO. He was making the point that there is NONE righteous. No.... NOT ONE.

The magically infused power, to use your phrase, that enables people to live the Sermon on the Mount is the same magically infused power that enables us to live the rest of the New Testament - is the grace of God given through the power of the Holy Spirit. The Sermon on the Mount was not simple condemnation. I agree that there is tremendous condemnation in it - of the rabbinical pharisaical system, to be sure - but it was not just a screed against a rebellious people. It was an explanation of the original intent/purpose of the Torah, and it called the people to live that. Could they live that on their own? Of course not. But they are still responsible to live it.

To me, to follow your position to its logical conclusion, the 21st century American Christianity would have to throw out the Gospels almost in their entirety and simply begin to read their Bible at the middle of the book of Acts. After all, 'He came unto His own and His own received Him not.' I completely reject both the theology and the practicality of such an approach to Jesus' words and works.

Tom Brennan said:
praise_yeshua said:
The way you're taking sermon the mount..... you want people to think there is some magical infusion of power upon people to meet the requirements found in the Sermon. If they would just listen and do things on the sermon, they would be okay.

Remember when Jesus said he hadn't come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners? Do you really think Jesus spoke to some righteous people that didn't need Him? NO. He was making the point that there is NONE righteous. No.... NOT ONE.

The magically infused power, to use your phrase, that enables people to live the Sermon on the Mount is the same magically infused power that enables us to live the rest of the New Testament - is the grace of God given through the power of the Holy Spirit. The Sermon on the Mount was not simple condemnation. I agree that there is tremendous condemnation in it - of the rabbinical pharisaical system, to be sure - but it was not just a screed against a rebellious people. It was an explanation of the original intent/purpose of the Torah, and it called the people to live that. Could they live that on their own? Of course not. But they are still responsible to live it.

No. We are not responsible to live based on commandments that were never given to produce righteousness. You've missed the mark and you don't even understand the mark to begin with.

To me, to follow your position to its logical conclusion, the 21st century American Christianity would have to throw out the Gospels almost in their entirety and simply begin to read their Bible at the middle of the book of Acts. After all, 'He came unto His own and His own received Him not.' I completely reject both the theology and the practicality of such an approach to Jesus' words and works.

No. Its just recognizing the Sermon for what it contained. It contained condemnation. Judgement.....without a solution. It produced demands that man is incapable to meeting on his own.

You have yet to show one verse where the solution for sin is offered. You're creating a bridge from Matthew 5 to cross. That bridge only exists in your mind. Jesus message to Israel was clear. You FAILED. I'm here now. I'm your solution. The Sermon on the Mount was all about their failure.

praise_yeshua said:

You will disagree with me (and Jesus, but oh well):

For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.