The Greatest Sermon Ever Preached

Smellin Coffee said:
praise_yeshua said:
Show me one verse in the sermon on the mount that presented a solution for their sin? It presented a demand for righteousness that they were incapable of meeting.

You will disagree with me (and Jesus, but oh well):

For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

::)

In your mind, I imagine the more people do you wrong...... the greater forgiveness you receive...... of course IF you can see it in your heart to forgive everything!!!

I do believe forgiveness breeds forgiveness......but we must begin with the forgiveness found in the Sovereign action of God at Calvary.

Eph 4:32  And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

But that IS... one of Paul's verses.... I imagine he can get one right here and there can't he? :)

Well, I will purchase a copy. If rogue potato is against it then it must be worthwhile. ;D ;D ;D

praise_yeshua said:
Tom Brennan said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
That isn't a solution for sin.  A solution requires an action you can take.  You can't will yourself to be poor in spirit or merciful or meek or pure in heart, etc.  These are statements of fact, which are contrasted by those who lack these qualities and seek to follow the law for righteousness.

A) Who said anything about willing yourself? B) The solution for sin is Jesus, and it begins with a deep conviction of your own sinfulness. In my chapter on that beatitude:

You're seeing a bridge that isn't there. You're reading the Sermon outside of its context. You're creating a bridge to the book of Romans directly from Matthew 5. It doesn't exist.

That's exactly the reason (one reason anyway) I said it was poorly reasoned. 

BALAAM said:
Well, I will purchase a copy. If rogue potato is against it then it must be worthwhile. ;D ;D ;D

Pharisees of a feather gotta stick together!

Tom Brennan said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
That isn't a solution for sin.  A solution requires an action you can take.  You can't will yourself to be poor in spirit or merciful or meek or pure in heart, etc.  These are statements of fact, which are contrasted by those who lack these qualities and seek to follow the law for righteousness.

A) Who said anything about willing yourself? B) The solution for sin is Jesus, and it begins with a deep conviction of your own sinfulness. In my chapter on that beatitude:

Wow, you make all these logical leaps and bounds with nothing to connect them!  "Blessed are the poor in spirit" is a simple factual statement.  Those who are poor in spirit are/will be blessed.  The only reason I said you can't will yourself to be poor in spirit is that the only way to connect (and very loosely at that) that statement to a solution to sin is to become poor in spirit.  And how do you do that?  Will yourself to be poor in spirit? 

If the sermon on the mount communicates anything about a solution to sin, it is that it shows you how high the bar is to being righteous, after which there are pretty much only three likely reactions: 

1. Oh, go jump in the lake. I'm righteous. Following the law is all I need.
2. Screw it, then.  I can't do it.  I'll just sin all I want.
3. Holy crap!  That's impossible! There must be some other way. If that's how I have to be, that makes me even more poor in spirit than I was before he started!  And then elsewhere, you learn the way, and you are blessed.

praise_yeshua said:
The "Sermon on the Mount" wasn't the greatest sermon ever preached!!!

Care to recommend a greater one, so we can be duly blessed? Thanks.

Ransom said:
praise_yeshua said:

Well.... I can think of several but let's just go with the sermon Jesus preached at the last supper? or the sermon preached to the two disciples on the road to Emmaus or the "I'm the True Vine" sermon in John 15.

Mat 13:17  For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

praise_yeshua said:
Ransom said:
praise_yeshua said:

Well.... I can think of several but let's just go with the sermon Jesus preached at the last supper? or the sermon preached to the two disciples on the road to Emmaus or the "I'm the True Vine" sermon in John 15.

Mat 13:17  For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

Not sure how one determines any of this..doubt Jesus was competing with Himself...which would mean all His messages were important, perfect, and given for the intended purpose He desired.

Whenever I see somebody using "Yeshua" instead of Jesus, I assume that they are a wanna-be Messianic "Jew" apostate.

Dunkard said:
Whenever I see somebody using "Yeshua" instead of Jesus, I assume that they are a wanna-be Messianic "Jew" apostate.

Careful with assuming..you know what that does...I have a great brother in the Lord who is a Messianic Jew..I say, Praise the Lord!

T-Bone said:
Dunkard said:

Careful with assuming..you know what that does...I have a great brother in the Lord who is a Messianic Jew..I say, Praise the Lord!
Yeah, assumptions are pretty much right. Messianic "Jew", lol.

The Rogue Tomato said:
Written like a true Pharisee.  Right from the start, it is poorly reasoned, and I would not recommend it to anyone.  You totally miss the point of, “Love God and do as you please.”  I pity your congregation.

This comes from the sermon on the mount?  This sounds like some kind of religion with self as the center, not Christ.

Dunkard said:
T-Bone said:
Dunkard said:

The evidence for Yeshua is overwhelming but you should have noticed how many times I've used the name of Jesus in just this thread and how I've spoken about national Israel. Your assumptions are dead wrong.

T-Bone said:
praise_yeshua said:
Ransom said:
praise_yeshua said:

Not sure how one determines any of this..doubt Jesus was competing with Himself...which would mean all His messages were important, perfect, and given for the intended purpose He desired.

I agree to some degree. However, it obvious to me that sermons Jesus spoke to His own in love and fellowship are greater than a sermon preached to a rebellious nation that didn't get it. Yes. it accomplished His purpose and was good and perfect. Yet, there is rank and order to the even the words Jesus spoke.

Either way, you would also disagree with the claim that this is the Greatest Sermon Ever Preached. You'd just say they are all equally important. ;)

BASSENCO style book promotion with attacks on those who disagree

Tom Brennan said:
For the past six months I've been working on the biggest writing project I've ever a done. It is a 270 page book on the Sermon on the Mount. It is has just been released this morning and I wanted to make it available to you. My primary vehicle to sell it is a new website I've built called brennanspen.com. There you will find information about the book, a sample chapter, the table of contents, and some testimonials. There are also links to purchase the book. It is available in softcover and hardcover through Amazon and Barnes and Noble. It is also available in digital format through Kindle, Nook, and iTunes. This is rooted in a series of messages I preached several years ago but I worked very hard to make the book more than just a transcription of those messages. I very much wanted to write something that would stand the test of time. You all will have to determine whether I did or not. And knowing this place you all won't be shy about telling me.

And so the grand adventure of being an author begins...

http://brennanspen.com/
Good luck in your publishing career. That must be a nerve-racking thing to put your thoughts, beliefs, and research into the public. I commend that.

Now here is my question to you that might make for a fun debate. Was the Sermon on the Mount and actual sermon? I rather think that these are collections of Jesus' teachings that the author of Matthew's account has woven together in a literary masterpiece. What say you?

Timotheos said:
Tom Brennan said:
For the past six months I've been working on the biggest writing project I've ever a done. It is a 270 page book on the Sermon on the Mount. It is has just been released this morning and I wanted to make it available to you. My primary vehicle to sell it is a new website I've built called brennanspen.com. There you will find information about the book, a sample chapter, the table of contents, and some testimonials. There are also links to purchase the book. It is available in softcover and hardcover through Amazon and Barnes and Noble. It is also available in digital format through Kindle, Nook, and iTunes. This is rooted in a series of messages I preached several years ago but I worked very hard to make the book more than just a transcription of those messages. I very much wanted to write something that would stand the test of time. You all will have to determine whether I did or not. And knowing this place you all won't be shy about telling me.

And so the grand adventure of being an author begins...

http://brennanspen.com/
Good luck in your publishing career. That must be a nerve-racking thing to put your thoughts, beliefs, and research into the public. I commend that.

Now here is my question to you that might make for a fun debate. Was the Sermon on the Mount and actual sermon? I rather think that these are collections of Jesus' teachings that the author of Matthew's account has woven together in a literary masterpiece. What say you?

There are too many similarities between the Sermon on the Mount and the Sermon on the Plain to think this is just a random collection of sayings taken from the entire ministry of Christ and woven together as a literary masterpiece. Its most likely a oft repeated sermon that was given over a distinct period of time in multiple places. 

praise_yeshua said:
Dunkard said:
T-Bone said:
Dunkard said:

The evidence for Yeshua is overwhelming but you should have noticed how many times I've used the name of Jesus in just this thread and how I've spoken about national Israel. Your assumptions are dead wrong.
Perhaps, but your posts are still full of stupidity.

Dunkard said:
praise_yeshua said:
Dunkard said:
T-Bone said:
Dunkard said:

Perhaps, but your posts are still full of stupidity.

So your intentions finally reveal themselves..... You were just looking for something accuse me of because you don't like what I said. Typical