The Hacker Thread about Absolutely Nothing Particular!

Tom was an adult Sunday School teacher at our church where the pastor's incompetent son-in-law was botching up things.

Wanting to salvage the church (which was dying off), Tom organized a revolt in his Sunday School class that never got anywhere.
So he met with the pastor (again) but this time handed him a timeline to correct the problems. Since no one had authorized Tom to set deadlines, this helped organize resistance to him.

Next, Tom sent a mailing to every Christian church in the area, announcing that he was available, for free, as their youth director. And a dying Methodist church accepted his offer...

When Tom walked into the Methodist church, revival broke loose. Unfortunately, Tom WAS the revival.

With his wife and three sons, Tom provided the dying church with an attendance boost. And as a tither, he provided a financial boost. And his revitalized youth program brought in some families.

The revival lasted several weeks. The youth group dwindled away, and the people it had brought in left. The discouraged congregation continued to leave, and after only a few months Tom left as well.

When we left the area, Tom was attending various Baptist churches, none of which would give him a position.

Tom really had been a good guy, who had correctly understood some of the problems of the church. But when the Biblical method of solving those problems didn't work, he should have either continued his ministry (adult Sunday School teacher) or quietly left.

If you leave a church, be careful about joining a dying church, because you probably can't turn it around.

Since this is "The Hacker Thread about Absolutely Nothing Particular"..................this morning my wife & I were going out for breakfast & driving on a country 2 lane Highway. There was a cop with blue lights on which had a male pulled over & had him behind guy's car & the cop was putting him in handcuffs.

The guy was crying & looked, by his sad facial expression,  in agony. My wife & I both broke out in laughter  at the same time. Why you ask? This clown was wearing a stocking hot that had horns on it. But the kicker was that he was wearing one-piece PINK pajamas.

The things you see in & around Atlanta.  ::)

Brethren, I'm going to make an unpopular point here.

The "self-esteem" movement has its good points, but accuracy isn't one of them. Specifically:

A "hero" is a person who commits an act of extreme bravery in the service of others. If you charge a machine-gun nest, run into a burning building to rescue someone, hold the door open while others escape, etc., you're a hero.

If you volunteer to work at an orphanage, teach a Sunday School class, run a youth activity, etc., God will bless you and reward you. But you're not a hero.

This is  a Hero 
2018_Hero-Sandwich_20811_600x600.jpg

And hello folks.  Long time.

the duck said:
This is  a Hero 

Bro, you got that right!  Yum!

And welcome!

the duck said:
This is  a Hero 

That's what we called them in New York.  Here they are Hoagies.

Twisted said:
Vince Massi said:
Ed was a devout Christian and one of the team leaders at the paper mill. Frustrated by his boss, he began secretly looking for a job in another paper mill. I told him what they told us: don't criticize your boss.

On vacation, Ed flew to another state to be interviewed, Things went well, and it looked like he would be hired. One interviewer was a friend from a previous paper mill, and the friend took Ed out to dinner. He told his friend "My boss is a maniac," and told stories about him.

As he prepared to go in the next morning, they called him at his motel room and told him not to come in; they had found somebody else.

When I was 19, I worked for a very high-end office furniture manufacturer.  My foreman was very odd and played all kinds of practical jokes on me, making my job very difficult.  One day another manager type asked me what I thought of my foreman, so I told him.  A week later they fired me.  The two men were brothers!  Lesson learned.

Oh, but don't be sad.  I got another job working for a small company that made batteries for emergency light systems.  A great job.
Exactly!
You wouldn't have wanted to stay there in that environment, anyway.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Vince Massi said:
Brethren, I'm going to make an unpopular point here.

The "self-esteem" movement has its good points, but accuracy isn't one of them. Specifically:

A "hero" is a person who commits an act of extreme bravery in the service of others. If you charge a machine-gun nest, run into a burning building to rescue someone, hold the door open while others escape, etc., you're a hero.

If you volunteer to work at an orphanage, teach a Sunday School class, run a youth activity, etc., God will bless you and reward you. But you're not a hero.
Actually, a hero is a conqueror who subjugates other sovereign peoples for his own fame.

Vince,

The message in your posts has been advice to those who seek to leave with a bridge still intact.
This is in direct opposition to how God taught us to answer heretics.

You are teaching spineless waffling, which is natural for most "men" apparently, currently.

I have no interest in keeping a good relationship with the churches that stood behind the molesters I've turned in.  (Terrible grammar, but you understand it).

When God tells you to speak up, you often lose everything...on Earth.
There is no shame in taking up this cross.

A few months ago, I wrote about successfully leaving one model railroad forum for another, subconsciously applying the lessons I had learned about leaving one church for another. Months later, how did that work out?

The first forum tried to get me back, and the leadership was very friendly. But they made clear that they would not solve the problem (a scorner who had latched onto me). A couple of days ago, I went back to lurk. The scorner is traveling all around their forum insulting people. When he does, the admins try to calm him down, but they don't stop him.

Do not leave a church unless you are prepared for a one-way trip.

Vince Massi said:
A few months ago, I wrote about successfully leaving one model railroad forum for another, subconsciously applying the lessons I had learned about leaving one church for another. Months later, how did that work out?

The first forum tried to get me back, and the leadership was very friendly. But they made clear that they would not solve the problem (a scorner who had latched onto me). A couple of days ago, I went back to lurk. The scorner is traveling all around their forum insulting people. When he does, the admins try to calm him down, but they don't stop him.

If your posts on the other forum are as bizarre as they are on this forum, I can see why the guy was insulting you.

Vince Massi said:

And don't let the caboose hit you on the way out.

Baptist City Holdout said:
Vince Massi said:

And don't let the caboose hit you on the way out.
Waa, waa, waa, waaaaaa.....

If your posts on the other forum are as bizarre as they are on this forum, I can see why the guy was insulting you.
[/quote]

Actually, Raider, I agree with you. For the last decade or so I have visited as many dying HAC sites as possible, offering whatever help I could before the site collapsed. Except for the official websites, they all collapsed for the same reason: scorners ran off people who wanted to post.

It is the normal, standard procedure on dying  forums (Christian and non-Christian) to permit scorners to run people off. The administrators explain that they don't want to restrict freedom, be heavy-handed, etc.  A successful website, on the other hand, must use different methods than those of dying websites.

And because they are so different from the established methods of failing websites, those methods really do seem bizarre.