The health benefits of whiskey

C

Castor Muscular

Most of us are familiar with the health benefits of wine, but did you know there are health benefits of drinking 1 or 2 shots of whiskey every day?  I didn't know that until I stumbled on this article. 

Dr. David J. Hanson of State University of New York states that people who consume one or two alcoholic drinks, including whiskey, daily have a 50 percent lower chance of having a stroke or developing dementia in old age. This moderate amount of drinking can also decrease the chance of developing diabetes by 30 to 40 percent. These benefits come from alcohol's ability to increase good cholesterol and decrease blood clots.

Decreases the Risk of Cancer
Alcohol contains ellagic acid, an antioxidant that destroys cancerous cells. According to a study presented by Dr. Jim Swan and colleagues at the 2005 EuroMedLab conference in Glasgow, Scotland, whiskey contains more ellagic acid than other types of alcohol, providing even more cancer cell-fighting antioxidants.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/478294-the-health-benefits-of-whiskey/

How did I stumble on this?  I've always assumed I would hate whiskey because I despise the smell and taste of Scotch (it has a smokey aroma and flavor that disgusts me, unless it's REALLY REALLY good Scotch -- my sister drank Scotch and she gave me a taste of very old single malt, and it was good). 

On a whim, I tasted Jack Daniels, and I liked it.  I didn't realize it would be nothing like Scotch.  By the way, how many people do you know who aren't against drinking in moderation, yet never tasted JD until they were past 60 years old?  ;)  Anyway, I was curious if it was unhealthy because it was corn-based not grape-based, so I googled it and found this article. 

Do you believe everything you read?

I also have property in the Keys for sale at a good price..........oceanfront 8)

Sherryh said:
Do you believe everything you read?

I also have property in the Keys for sale at a good price..........oceanfront 8)

If it was an isolated article, I'd be suspicious.  But there are dozens of articles over a period of at least a decade with specifics about the health benefits.  One study even shows that while wine has more phenols for prevention of heart disease, your body absorbs the phenols in whiskey better, and you end up getting more phenols from whiskey than from wine. 

I'm not inclined to believe articles that say things like "whiskey has benefits because studies show that whiskey drinkers have 60% less chance of heart attacks".  That's correlation junk science that doesn't even look to establish cause-and-effect. 

But these articles explain the chemical cause and effect (for the most part, anyway).  So, in this case, yes, I'm inclined to believe what I read (past tense).

Quick someone take those Surgeon General warnings of the alcoholic beverages.  We are missing these tremendous health benefits that can't be found anywhere else.  :D

(Speaking real quickly and quietly)  May cause liver failure, death to brain cells, heart failure.........  If you have any of these symptoms or feel any differently after use please contact your bartender immediately.  ;)

My General has some warnings also.  ;D

Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.

The side effects of strong drink could lead to death, sexual impurity, hate, murder, adultery, profanity, and cause a weaker brother to fall.

Timothy said:

Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.

I agree.  It is not wise to let yourself be led astray by wine or strong drink.  In fact, some people are weak and need to abstain completely. 

For those of us who are wise enough not to be led astray, God give us drink as a blessing. 

Deuteronomy 7:13
And He will love you and bless you and multiply you; He will also bless the fruit of your womb and the fruit of your land, your grain and your new wine and your oil, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flock, in the land of which He swore to your fathers to give you.

Deuteronomy 14:26
And you shall spend that money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen or sheep, for wine or similar drink, for whatever your heart desires; you shall eat there before the Lord your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

Headbutter of the Gods said:
Disgusting stuff. If it came in a medicine bottle nobody would like it.

That's silly.  Lots of people like it.  If you happen to hate it, fair enough.  Like I said, I hate Scotch.  But I wouldn't say nobody would like it.  If nobody liked this stuff, it wouldn't sell.  Contrary to the opinion of some fundies, not everyone drinks solely to get drunk. 

Castor Muscular said:
Timothy said:

I agree.  It is not wise to let yourself be led astray by wine or strong drink.  In fact, some people are weak and need to abstain completely. 

For those of us who are wise enough not to be led astray, God give us drink as a blessing. 

Deuteronomy 7:13
And He will love you and bless you and multiply you; He will also bless the fruit of your womb and the fruit of your land, your grain and your new wine and your oil, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flock, in the land of which He swore to your fathers to give you.

Deuteronomy 14:26
And you shall spend that money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen or sheep, for wine or similar drink, for whatever your heart desires; you shall eat there before the Lord your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

I won't say drinking wine or strong drink is a sin. But, I will say it has the potential to really cause some damage in someones life. If I drink too much coffee I get irritable and find it easy to snap at my kids - so I cut back what I drink now. I just know God has a warning in the Bible - and I also know from experience how hard it is to stay pure when drunk.

Headbutter of the Gods said:
The sense of humour bypass operation was a great success, I hear.

Sorry, I'm used to expecting typical fundie responses, so that's what it sounded like to me. 

Timothy said:
If I drink too much coffee I get irritable and find it easy to snap at my kids - so I cut back what I drink now.

This is an excellent illustration of the proverb you quoted.

Coffee is an addictive stimulant.  Whoever is led into jitters and irritability by it is not wise.

You were wise enough to cut back.  Good job!

Castor, if you like Jack, you would loooove bourbon. Try some Woodford Reserve, Rowan's Creek, Old Weller  Antique. It not like Baptist abuse anything like, let's say, food!! I see more pastors that struggle with gluttony more than anything else

Recovering IFB said:
Castor, if you like Jack, you would loooove bourbon. Try some Woodford Reserve, Rowan's Creek, Old Weller  Antique. It not like Baptist abuse anything like, let's say, food!! I see more pastors that struggle with gluttony more than anything else

I've never heard of those, but I'll look for them, thanks!

graceandtruth said:
Quick someone take those Surgeon General warnings of the alcoholic beverages.  We are missing these tremendous health benefits that can't be found anywhere else.  :D

(Speaking real quickly and quietly)  May cause liver failure, death to brain cells, heart failure.........  If you have any of these symptoms or feel any differently after use please contact your bartender immediately.  ;)
So the Surgeon General now supersedes the Word of God ?

Timothy said:

The side effects of strong drink could lead to death, sexual impurity, hate, murder, adultery, profanity, and cause a weaker brother to fall.

This is the verse that I hold to. I really don't want to be called unwise by God, so I choose not to drink!

Recovering IFB said:
graceandtruth said:

So the Surgeon General now supersedes the Word of God ?

Was the original post a result of something read in Scripture or a medical study?  If it was a medical study then the Surgeon General might be relevant. ;)