"The Old Church Downtown" - Keith McKinney

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Has anyone read this book?  What are your thoughts? 

Bro. Hyles would use him to dress up as Santa Claus

RAIDER said:
It is a beautiful coffee table book.

Earnestly Contend

RAIDER said:

I talk to his son from time to time idk if he goes to the church but last I heard he was selling cars.

fishinnut said:
Is Keith still there at "The Old Church Downtown"?

Surely someone on the FFF would know this information.

IFB X-Files said:
RAIDER said:

I'm surprised BGW doesn't produce a photo of Keith standing next to that security guard.

I do not have a pic of Keith and Bruce posing together, sorry.

Keith still attends FBCH.

:) ;) :D ;D

bgwilkinson said:
IFB X-Files said:
RAIDER said:

I'm surprised BGW doesn't produce a photo of Keith standing next to that security guard.

I do not have a pic of Keith and Bruce poising together, sorry.

Have you had opportunity to read his book?

Speaking of the old church, some of you may have known the former bus pastor, Charles Hand.  He was recently interviewed by USA Today concerning the problem with the VA.    He has Stage 4 cancer and is not expected to live very far into the new year.  His wife, Katie, passed away suddenly just after Christmas. 

Bro. Hand was my family's pastor when I was born.  When he joined the staff at FBC in the early 60's, my parents began attending FBC as well. 

http://www.usatoday.com/media/cinematic/video/77744742/wwii-veteran-charles-hand-shares-his-story/

RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:
IFB X-Files said:
RAIDER said:

I do not have a pic of Keith and Bruce poising together, sorry.

Have you had opportunity to read his book?

bgwilkinson said:
Yes I have read this book and use it quit often to jog my memory.

It is fun just to read it.

It was written by Keith and Gail at the time of Bro. Hyles death and published in 2001 by Bro. Hyles personal publishing company Hyles Publications. His personally owned not-for-profit where the church paid all the expenses and Bro. Hyles collected all the money, not just the profits.

There is nothing negative presented in it. The spin is a bit misleading if you've known of the goings on from a personal vintage point. Even things that should have been presented with accuracy are spun to make Bro. Hyles look good.

A better title for the book would be "The Honoring of Bro. Hyles".

It would be like telling the story of King David and forgetting to include the adultery with Uriah's wife and the murder of Uriah and Absolom and the rape of Tamar and the murder of Amnon and all the other sordid things that circulated around the kings of Israel. These are things God does not omit when He tells a story.

I do think very highly of the book for the pics that it has and the other historical information that it does contain.

An example of expunging all negative information can be seen in names that are not present in the index.

Al Gomez

Bill Waddle

C.W. Holmes

Vic Nischik

Voyle Glover

A. V. Ballenger

Jerry Kaifetz

Robert Sumner

And many more designated persona non grata.

On a lighter note.

Here is a pic of Bruce and Keith. Keith is moonlighting at McDonald's.

390621_181124991978284_1602703958_n.jpg

bgwilkinson said:

It was written by Keith and Gail at the time of Bro. Hyles death and published in 2001 by Bro. Hyles personal publishing company Hyles Publications. His personally owned not-for-profit where the church paid all the expenses and Bro. Hyles collected all the money, not just the profits.

There is nothing negative presented in it. The spin is a bit misleading if you've known of the goings on from a personal vintage point. Even things that should have been presented with accuracy are spun to make Bro. Hyles look good.

It would be like telling the story of King David and forgetting to include the adultery with Uriah's wife and the murder of Uriah and Absolom and the rape of Tamar and the murder of Amnon and all the other sordid things that circulated around the kings of Israel. These are things God does not omit when He tells a story.

I do think very highly of the book for the pics that it has and the other historical information that it does contain.

If anyone knew what was going on during Dr. Hyles ministry I would say it would be Keith.  Would you say he is another one that "covered it up"?

RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:

If anyone knew what was going on during Dr. Hyles ministry I would say it would be Keith.  Would you say he is another one that "covered it up"?

Yes, but I'm just as guilty.

RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:

Erma could write the whole story.

Jim Jones said:
RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:

JN has the most inside vantage point of those still alive.

bgwilkinson said:
Jim Jones said:
RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:

JN has the most inside vantage point of those still alive.

And her children.

I have this book. It is a very good history that goes back to Pastor Hill in the garret of the Morton House - 1887. All kinds of programs, bulletins, pictures. We learn how the Adams Chapel got its name. There is a two or three sentence reference to the great departure in '89 - '90. It was written during the js years, so not sure if it is still being published or has been revised. On the other forums, I used it for my "This Day in FBC/HAC History" threads.