The Super Bowl and Sunday evening services

HeDied4U

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I know this question gets asked every year, and since I haven't seen it posted yet, I thought I'd toss it out there.

For those that go to churches that have Sunday evening services, is your church canceling the service, having it start earlier or no changes?

The church I attend has a Sunday afternoon service (3:30pm) and an evening service (5:30pm).

Yes, the 5:30 service at my church has been canceled for tomorrow. I usually attend that service, so I guess I'll have to go to the 3:30 service instead.

:)

No changes.

Churches who cancel show where their idolatrous hearts are.

unless the Bengals ever make the Super Bowl

:D

In which case, I think my convictions can be maintained perpetually. :D :D :D

We still have service tomorrow night...some Sunday evenings we don't have services, but not for he Super Bowl.

We are not canceling our Sun evening service.

Certainly not for something as profane as professional football.

We don't have Sunday night services. Small group Bible studies for a few people.

Worship, sing, study God's Word, and fellowship.  We'll have Sunday evening service as usual.

Saw this on my FB feed a little while ago. Thought it was pretty funny and appropriate for the discussion at hand.

:D :D

I really have a hard time understanding this thread. I mean, who is that excited about the Super Bowl? ( unless GB was playng of course!)

Normal schedule, which includes a Sunday evening preaching service at 6 PM.

I'm pleased to say, as usual, church tonight at 5.

Actually, I have never taken off of a Sunday night service for the Super Bowl even when GB played in like 94/95?. And I wouldn't just on principle. This is just another thing for people to harp on. Why are they so heathen that they would take off of church to watch football?
Or, Why are you people so legalistic? Where in the Bible does it say, Thou shalt not miss Sunday night church for football?

Y'all get the picture. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

If the pastor of my church would cancel because of a simple, football game, I'd be upset.

Isn't this a perfect example of how a tradition (Sunday evening service) is sacred?

FSSL said:
Isn't this a perfect example of how a tradition (Sunday evening service) is sacred?

IMO, I just don't think it's to much to ask to be in church instead of watching a football game.

But if some think the pastor would be demanding "to much" well........

:) But you think it too much for your pastor to skip this particular evening service.

FSSL said:
:) But you think it too much for your pastor to skip this particular evening service.

I guess, I just think that highly of gathering with believers around scripture.

:) I understand the thinking. Do you ever miss a Sunday night because of vacation?

FSSL said:
:) I understand the thinking. Do you ever miss a Sunday night because of vacation?

Yes.

So it isn't that you really think that highly, it is more of your priorities and tradition. :)