Thom Kimmel convicted

Norefund said:
Has he been sentenced yet? In my opinion, Jack Schaap should be prosecuted as a co-conspirator.

Sentencing hearing is set for Thursday.

Josh R said:
prophet said:
Jack S (pronounced : Jackass) forgot to include this in his prison epistle.
It belongs right before the part about dancing around in his office, because fleecing the flock is so much fun.

I bet he was dancing a jig on top of one of his many exotic hardwood desks in the Oral Office.
I picture Snoopy, nose high in the air, paddle feet just-a-goin...

Mixed in with a lil Snoop Dogg, cuz, after all, he considered all of us to be his &!+€=zz

Timotheus said:
brainisengaged said:
What is creepy to me is that he still attends church here at FBC.

It seems like FBC could have exercised some church discipline before now.  This is why the government has to do FBC's leadership job for them.  They are corrupt from the top to the bottom.  Thom took from a single lady who has worked for FBC for over 30 years.  He took from an FBC man who is a paraplegic.    He has almost covered all the bases of Psalms 82:3

Not only discipline, but how about ethics?  You have a person on staff serving as Financial Counsellor who is encouraging folks to invest in a company in which he is a board member.  Not only is he a board member, he is receiving a 10% commission from all investments.  You have the pastor passing along names and accepting a cut of the investment.

Shady, underhanded, unconscionable, vile, etc. don't even begin to describe the depravity of this situation.  Add that to the fact that there were more than a few widows taken in by this charlatan, it is beyond my ability to comprehend how this could be carried out by supposed "Christians".

Still There said:
Today is his sentencing and JS was also a part of this.  He was the one that knew a lot of the wealth of the people through tithes and offerings and encouraged Tom to go to these people.  JS got 1% off the top.  He should also be tried for this and added to his sentence.  Tom is not the only person.  There were 3 others that are already in prison and made Tom the fall guy, so he will get probably 20 years.  The one I really pray for, other than Thom is his wife Cathy.  She's battling breast cancer.  Please pray for her.  There's more I can tell, but I won't because it was told in confidence.  Let me just say that on behalf of our family, Thom helped me and my husband when we were going through some financial times.  No he never asked us for money because we didn't have any, but he gave us some good sound advice that helped us get out of debt.

Thom's original "get out of debt" material (from the late 90's) was very good. I have a copy of the material & it has helped several people I know. Somewhere along the way he started swindling people & now he is paying the price for it. His original debt reduction plan was very simple & helped many. In a nut shell it taught cut spending & boost income as much as possible. He taught ways to reduce your bills using discounts & coupons & encouraged you to pay off debt one bill at a time.

John Wilkerson is a horrible person and pastor for allowing Kimmel to continue attending FBCH. Who cares about his victims, right?

Disgusting!

sword said:
Still There said:
Today is his sentencing and JS was also a part of this.  He was the one that knew a lot of the wealth of the people through tithes and offerings and encouraged Tom to go to these people.  JS got 1% off the top.  He should also be tried for this and added to his sentence.  Tom is not the only person.  There were 3 others that are already in prison and made Tom the fall guy, so he will get probably 20 years.  The one I really pray for, other than Thom is his wife Cathy.  She's battling breast cancer.  Please pray for her.  There's more I can tell, but I won't because it was told in confidence.  Let me just say that on behalf of our family, Thom helped me and my husband when we were going through some financial times.  No he never asked us for money because we didn't have any, but he gave us some good sound advice that helped us get out of debt.

Thom's original "get out of debt" material (from the late 90's) was very good. I have a copy of the material & it has helped several people I know. Somewhere along the way he started swindling people & now he is paying the price for it. His original debt reduction plan was very simple & helped many. In a nut shell it taught cut spending & boost income as much as possible. He taught ways to reduce your bills using discounts & coupons & encouraged you to pay off debt one bill at a time.
You have to free up capital, in order to be swindled out of it, dontcha know.

sword said:

That was material prepared by another financial company and nothing he developed on his own.  It is sound. The problem with that is he urged that we advertise the program and charge people, in debt people, hundreds of dollars for this information.  I never could do this to anyone.

As far as his personal financial recommendations, IMHO he was self serving, encouraging investing before retiring debt, not sound at all.

AmazedbyGrace said:
John Wilkerson is a horrible person and pastor for allowing Kimmel to continue attending FBCH. Who cares about his victims, right?

Disgusting!

I hardly think that's a fair assessment of Wilkerson. Do you want him to post a guard? Is there a Biblical reason that says he can't attend?

Bobby Ross said:
Timotheus said:
brainisengaged said:
What is creepy to me is that he still attends church here at FBC.

It seems like FBC could have exercised some church discipline before now.  This is why the government has to do FBC's leadership job for them.  They are corrupt from the top to the bottom.  Thom took from a single lady who has worked for FBC for over 30 years.  He took from an FBC man who is a paraplegic.    He has almost covered all the bases of Psalms 82:3

Not only discipline, but how about ethics?  You have a person on staff serving as Financial Counsellor who is encouraging folks to invest in a company in which he is a board member.  Not only is he a board member, he is receiving a 10% commission from all investments.  You have the pastor passing along names and accepting a cut of the investment.

Shady, underhanded, unconscionable, vile, etc. don't even begin to describe the depravity of this situation.  Add that to the fact that there were more than a few widows taken in by this charlatan, it is beyond my ability to comprehend how this could be carried out by supposed "Christians".

FBC leadership doesn't believe in ethics for themselves.  It is why I didn't bring it up. 

The question about discipline goes to the current senior pastor.  How long does he get to be play the nice guy before he has to take a stand?  Either he mans up or he is giving his blessing to the wolves. 

Bravo said:
I hardly think that's a fair assessment of Wilkerson. Do you want him to post a guard? Is there a Biblical reason that says he can't attend?

Let's say someone on FBC staff had managed to steal
$225,000 from the offering plate. Would you be ok having this person continue to attend the church during their trial with nothing ever said or done?  Never mind there would never be a trial, it's a moot point.

Bravo said:
AmazedbyGrace said:

Disgusting!

Well, I guess this attitude explains why pervs are also welcome there. If someone comes into the sheepfold to damage the sheep, it is the job of the pastor to try to protect the flock.

The logic with leadership at FBCH is so bizarre:

A woman in pants would not be welcome there

A pierced, tattooed person with a mohawk would not be welcome there

But a convicted swindler of the very people at the church is welcome - no problem, and how dare I criticize.

Ridiculous

AmazedbyGrace said:
Bravo said:
AmazedbyGrace said:

Disgusting!

Well, I guess this attitude explains why pervs are also welcome there. If someone comes into the sheepfold to damage the sheep, it is the job of the pastor to try to protect the flock.

But a convicted swindler of the very people at the church is welcome - no problem, and how dare I criticize.

Ridiculous

The woman in pants would be welcome. The person with the Mohawk and tattoos would be welcome. So you are wrong there, terribly wrong.

The convicted swindler was pushed by the former pastor but is just a guy in the per as far as I know these days.

Bravo said:
AmazedbyGrace said:
Bravo said:
AmazedbyGrace said:

Disgusting!

Ridiculous

The woman in pants would be welcome. The person with the Mohawk and tattoos would be welcome. So you are wrong there, terribly wrong.

The convicted swindler was pushed by the former pastor but is just a guy in the per as far as I know these days.
It's pointless Bravo. Unless he is quartered, there is no appeasing that baboon.

AmazedbyGrace said:

Ridiculous

You really don't have a clue, do you?

Tom Brennan said:
AmazedbyGrace said:

Ridiculous

You really don't have a clue, do you?

No, no clue at all.

I have only been a part of a Hyles type church once, by mistake.  :)

It goes like this, if the family is falling a a part........ marriage falling a part, finances a mess, their life out of control...............then they are a project, and because of this there are many many many many things winked at.  But

If a married couple joins the church and their marriage is not falling a part, finances in order and their life is not falling a part................but

the wife wears pant and they go to the movies................ O man no mercy, they better watch it they will get it.  Yep, that's how it works. :D

Bravo said:
Is there a Biblical reason that says he can't attend?

Not to encourage the nuts here, but Kimmel took more money from FBC's members than any other church.  Surely there has to be something in the new FBC constitution to exclude him. 

How hard would have been for someone like Eddie tell Kimmel it would be better for him to attend another church?  Didn't he tell Schaap's victim family a similar thing?

I am sure there is got to be something in the Bible about taking from the poor.  ::)

Could someone please bring up to speed, because obviously out-of-the-loop...who is Thom Kimmel and what is his relationship with HAC?

breslau said:
Didn't Kimmel scam money from FBC?

According to the blog quoted earlier, yes, they invested $235k. But apparently Kimmel doesn't need any kind of discipline because that was just for that one dude that one time in 1 Corinthians 5.

Still There said:
RALEIGH, NC (WECT) -  A North Carolina man was sentenced in federal court to 22 years in prison for defrauding tens of millions of dollars from victims he found through local churches.

Thomas L. Kimmel, 68, was found guilty by a jury on June 26 of conspiracy, mail fraud, and money laundering.

Kimmel was sentenced Thursday to 22 years in prison followed by three years of supervised release and will have to pay $16.5 million in restitution.

At trial, evidence was presented that Kimmel solicited nearly $20 million for Sure Line Acceptance Corporation from investors.

Investors learned of Kimmel through financial conferences he held at churches.

“Kimmel used his professed spirituality and position of trust as a tool to defraud victims at their churches-the very places they felt the most safe. From day one, Kimmel told lies to maximize his commissions. He used trust and faith to defraud hundreds of victims, many of whom invested their life's savings,” said Assistant US Attorney David A. Bragdon.
Kimmel would typically spend a few minutes at each conference telling investors of a 12 percent collateralized note program that he offered.

What the date for this? Is this today or a report from a few weeks back?