Thom Kimmel convicted

Seems he told Joe the same bunk about the CEO being a Christian.

groupie said:
Several years back, he gave me one of Sureline's CEO"S number so I could talk to him about utilizing my trade association members to do work for them. He told me the guy was a devout Christian. I called him and he answered the phone in a bar and began to use the vilest language that even I, as a man that did not grow up in church, was shocked to hear. I then spoke to someone at the corporate office and he told me the guy is drunk nearly every day. I told Tom what I encountered and he did not believe me. He then tried to get me to invest some money touting a 12 % return. I declined.

Bravo said:
AmazedbyGrace said:
Bravo said:
AmazedbyGrace said:
John Wilkerson is a horrible person and pastor for allowing Kimmel to continue attending FBCH. Who cares about his victims, right?

Disgusting!

I hardly think that's a fair assessment of Wilkerson. Do you want him to post a guard? Is there a Biblical reason that says he can't attend?

Well, I guess this attitude explains why pervs are also welcome there. If someone comes into the sheepfold to damage the sheep, it is the job of the pastor to try to protect the flock.

The logic with leadership at FBCH is so bizarre:

A woman in pants would not be welcome there

A pierced, tattooed person with a mohawk would not be welcome there

But a convicted swindler of the very people at the church is welcome - no problem, and how dare I criticize.

Ridiculous

The woman in pants would be welcome. The person with the Mohawk and tattoos would be welcome. So you are wrong there, terribly wrong.

The convicted swindler was pushed by the former pastor but is just a guy in the per as far as I know these days.

Women in pants and the mohawk pierced person would be welcome while they were being evangelized (and assumed unsaved). If they would not conform to the dress norms that welcome would cease.

How many more people does Kimmel have to swindle in the church for this lame pastor to make a move to protect them?

Fortunately, the justice system has again accomplished what this church refuses to, and the victims will now be spared from having to see the man who stole their life savings sitting in the next pew.

If it wasn't for the justice system, Schaap would probably still be at FBCH.

Bravo said:
Still There said:
RALEIGH, NC (WECT) -  A North Carolina man was sentenced in federal court to 22 years in prison for defrauding tens of millions of dollars from victims he found through local churches.

Thomas L. Kimmel, 68, was found guilty by a jury on June 26 of conspiracy, mail fraud, and money laundering.

Kimmel was sentenced Thursday to 22 years in prison followed by three years of supervised release and will have to pay $16.5 million in restitution.

At trial, evidence was presented that Kimmel solicited nearly $20 million for Sure Line Acceptance Corporation from investors.

Investors learned of Kimmel through financial conferences he held at churches.

“Kimmel used his professed spirituality and position of trust as a tool to defraud victims at their churches-the very places they felt the most safe. From day one, Kimmel told lies to maximize his commissions. He used trust and faith to defraud hundreds of victims, many of whom invested their life's savings,” said Assistant US Attorney David A. Bragdon.
Kimmel would typically spend a few minutes at each conference telling investors of a 12 percent collateralized note program that he offered.

What the date for this? Is this today or a report from a few weeks back?

just a few hours ago.  Much to say, not sure it's worth it at this point.  Although Thom's audacity through this predictably matched that of his friend JS during his "ordeal".  Bird's of a feather, I suppose ::)

Timotheus said:
Bravo said:
Is there a Biblical reason that says he can't attend?

Not to encourage the nuts here, but Kimmel took more money from FBC's members than any other church.  Surely there has to be something in the new FBC constitution to exclude him. 

How hard would have been for someone like Eddie tell Kimmel it would be better for him to attend another church?  Didn't he tell Schaap's victim family a similar thing?

I am sure there is got to be something in the Bible about taking from the poor.  ::)

Yes, Schaap's victim was chased out by Lapina. Thank you for pointing this out.
Lapina tried to get Schaap to accept a sabbatical.

AmazedbyGrace said:

The choice to stay or go should have been one arrived at by mutual consent.  For the life of me I can't imagine the family wanting to stay in the place where the criminal acts were allowed to be conducted and concealed, but that should have been their choice, not some dictatorial edict handed down by EL.  And now to add insult to injury, Thom is, sorry was,  free to roam among those he has injured without being subject to the same treatment.  I frankly don't get it.

For as much touting as has been done about being "Independent Fundamental Baptists", it's strange that they don't adhere to the practice of either "the priesthood of the believer" or "individual soul liberty". 

AmazedbyGrace said:
Women in pants and the mohawk pierced person would be welcome while they were being evangelized (and assumed unsaved). If they would not conform to the dress norms that welcome would cease.

You still don't have a clue...

I, for one, am truly sorry to hear this. I knew it was coming. I believe he deserves it. I knew it was a scam when he was pushing people toward this. But, He will probably die in jail. He is 68 and in poor health. He has a wife in poor health and two kids with grandchildren.

Be Sure Your sin will find you out is the most up to date and real scripture that I can think of right now.

Tom Brennan said:
AmazedbyGrace said:

Oh please, Tom. You are the guy who won't even let church kids play with your kids if they do not go to Sunday night church.

Kind of proves my point. If you do not meet their standards you are certainly not welcome.

Grab a clue, Tom.

AmazedbyGrace said:
Tom Brennan said:
AmazedbyGrace said:

Oh please, Tom. You are they guy who won't even let church kids play with your kids if they do not go to Sunday night church.

Kind of proves my point. If you do not meet their standards you are certainly not welcome.

Grab a clue, Tom.

Dude, where is the grace that you are supposed to be amazed by?

AmazedbyGrace said:
Timotheus said:
Bravo said:
Is there a Biblical reason that says he can't attend?

Not to encourage the nuts here, but Kimmel took more money from FBC's members than any other church.  Surely there has to be something in the new FBC constitution to exclude him. 

How hard would have been for someone like Eddie tell Kimmel it would be better for him to attend another church?  Didn't he tell Schaap's victim family a similar thing?

I am sure there is got to be something in the Bible about taking from the poor.  ::)

Not to be snarky here...but isn't Schaap on a sabbatical...a twelve-year sabbatical in an 8 x 8 room with a view.

Is Kimmel the same guy that recommended people to invest in the Iraqi Dinar?

Honey Badger said:
RAIDER said:
Is Kimmel the same guy that recommended people to invest in the Iraqi Dinar?

Yes

I had a few relatives get caught up in that.  I remember my sister-in-law trying to talk us into investing.  One of her selling points was, "This guy from FBCH even says it is a great investment".  :)

Bravo said:
The woman in pants would be welcome. The person with the Mohawk and tattoos would be welcome. So you are wrong there, terribly wrong.

The convicted swindler was pushed by the former pastor but is just a guy in the per as far as I know these days.

"Just a guy in the pews"???!

I wonder if that is what the Apostle Paul would call that guy who "had his father's wife" in Corinth...

It is unbelievable the low view of the church that results from not having any policy re: accountability/church discipline.

AmazedbyGrace said:
Oh please, Tom. You are the guy who won't even let church kids play with your kids if they do not go to Sunday night church.

Grab a clue, Tom.

You do not know what you are talking about in relation to FBCH, and you most definitely do not know what you are talking about in relation to my family. You are not only ignorant, apparently you are purposely so, with no genuine desire to apprehend the facts of either their situation or my own. But it's all good b/c you've found grace.

May God grant that you may find some intellectual integrity to go along with that grace someday...

Tom Brennan said:
AmazedbyGrace said:

Tom, you know full well that they would be allowed to occupy a pew, but not serve in any capacity.
Just admit it.
Don't swing back, because this is true.
I recruited a man, with a goatee, to help with the growing youth group we had at 68th and Green.
The man, not me, was told by FBCH brass that he had to shave or pew sit.

So quit pretending that this isn't true, it is.
You are normally honest.

I will say it for us...

FBCH has a dress/hair code for all volunteers, staff, ministry workers, etc.
And, yes, the guy with the Mohawk would be told, when he got excited about serving and asked if he could help, that his help wouldn't be needed, or else try getting a hair cut and we will watch you for a while.

It is simple, it is what we practice, why not just agree.

We don't like ABG's attitude, so we what?
Pretend it isn't true?

Well, I'll tell you Tom, you have never been the guy with the Mohawk there, but I have, and you see it as rejection of you.
I grew up thinking that God had no purpose for my life, because I was rejected by the fashion police.

Prophet the point in question was if they'd be welcome. And they would. The question was not about volunteering or helping. Could they be on staff? I don't see that happening. Again though, that wasn't the question.

I am just glad that GOD saved me ....I am glad that Jesus was/is a Jew....because if he were a Baptist,spoke and acted as the selfrightious bunch that have been posting about Thom Kimmel ....I would still be lost.....I thought He said "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive them who trespass against us"........If you folks who want blood because of Thom's trespasses are what a Christian is to be then please God remove from me my salvation ....Lost people have more compassion.
You are not Christ like thus not Christian. Your dependence is not on the blood of Christ but on the Blood money that you have prostutited yourselves to accumulate.
I would to God that I had a bag of 30 pieces of silver for each of you.