Thoughts on Knowing vs Feeling in Worship

ALAYMAN said:
rsc2a said:
ALAYMAN said:
rsc2a said:
Or they are simultaneous, but again either/or is very popular among some folks...

Saying that feelings ought to be subordinate to truth is not an "either/or" statement.

"Either feelings out to be subordinate to truth or truth ought to be subordinate to feelings."

:-X

So you want my to choose the both/and, rather than the either/or?

lol

"I didn't make an either/or statement. Why do you think it should be both/and rather than the either/or statement I made?"

We think, we feel, and we do.  They shouldn't be separated, but there is an order that leads to logical harmony.  Begg's reformed faith leads him to his conclusions, and you being reformed and all, well, umm, erm, never mind.  8)

Earlier: Or they are simultaneous, but again either/or is very popular among some folks...

Darned if that pesky squirrel of mine hasn't come up missing again.

admin said:
ALAYMAN said:
admin said:
No matter how many words you use... you said he was "spot on."

Right, he was spot on by indicting shallow knowledge, and shallow teaching via songs.  That ain't hard to understand.

Anyone else read 2 Corinthians 5.1? Is Alayman right? Does it have to do with shallow knowledge that leads to shallow songs?

I guess if Begg says it does... then we all need to rethink our hermeneutics!!!

5 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

Yeah, I see how that has to do with shallow songs. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
admin said:
ALAYMAN said:
admin said:
No matter how many words you use... you said he was "spot on."

Right, he was spot on by indicting shallow knowledge, and shallow teaching via songs.  That ain't hard to understand.

Anyone else read 2 Corinthians 5.1? Is Alayman right? Does it have to do with shallow knowledge that leads to shallow songs?

I guess if Begg says it does... then we all need to rethink our hermeneutics!!!

5 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.

Yeah, I see how that has to do with shallow songs.

Yep, and it really makes you doubt your feelings too!  ;)

We desire to be on our new sinless bodies, in our Home, with our Saviour, but we cant be....yeah I see the connection there.

8)

Me n Ray see it.

admin said:
prophet... a bit scary that you and I are finding so many agreements lately ;)
We been hangin around the same Spirit lately.

admin said:
well... when you read the same Scripture... there is bound to be quite a few agreements :)
I think that we live in a day of hand-me-down religion passing itself off as godliness.
Those who search the Scriptures, with a pure heart motive, of actually seeing what God says, along with the faith to step out and prove Him, get rewarded with "new " revelation constantly.
He who sees and provides ahead of time has plenty more where that came from, and I relish every new day.

How could this ever get boring or old?

Praise God, brother.

admin said:
Quite an enlightening thread! Some "takeaway" points...

1) Begg is "spot on" even when he derives an application that is foreign to the text.
2) Whenever the word "know" is used in the Bible it always means something that is opposed to emotions.
3) Eisegesis is acceptable and defendable to Alayman, as long as your name ends with "Mohler" or "Begg."
4) Only Alayman can have an opinion about this snippet.

Just heard a message by Ravi Zacharias where he also spoke of bringing emotions into captivity to obedience to truth. 

hmmmm, let's see, Zacharias, Begg, Mohler, Sproul, and a host of other lightweights, or an internet schmo from kokomo?

;)

[quote author=admin]Did he use 1 Cor 5.1 and then rant on about people who sing praises to God?[/quote]

Why are you discussing the many uses of WD-40? After all, the word "use" is in your sentence, so as I learned in Biblical Interpretation for Modern Man, I can assume that's a valid application of your above statement. ;)

admin said:
ALAYMAN said:
Just heard a message by Ravi Zacharias where he also spoke of bringing emotions into captivity to obedience to truth.

Did he use 1 Cor 5.1 and then rant on about people who sing praises to God?

Does I Cor 5:1 have anything to do with having a knowledge of God?

admin said:
Read the passage. It is quite clear what the Corinthians knew.... and it had NOTHING to do with emotions/feelings in worship.

Just tell us what the Corinthians knew. No. It is not revealing something about God (Theology Proper). Hint: It is knowledge about the Doctrine of the Eternal State.

But the reality is you don't really care what the passage means. You are more interested in finding out how to redeem that misplaced application which effectively swayed your emotions.

And until you demonstrate an ounce of intellectual integrity by posting the entirety of his sermon you won't be able to convince me that a man who is known as a tenacious expositional preacher amongst today's top leading conservative evangelicals has done anything wrong, but I will continue to question your rabid defense of all things CCM at any cost.

[quote author=ALAYMAN]... a man who is known as a tenacious expositional preacher amongst today's top leading conservative evangelicals...[/quote]

Blah, blah, blah....Highness, man worship...grumble, grumble...mere mortals....stuff and more stuff...super spiritual, Holy-spirit annointed, priesthood of believers is a lie...yak, yak...GREATEST MAN EVAH1!

1 Not to be confused with Mohler who is also the greatest man evah.

admin said:
Isn't it clear that Alayman has been emotionally moved WITHOUT knowledge? He finds ZERO biblical support to redeem this part of the sermon. The only thing left is to pull "manipulation goodies" from the IFB "carpet bag."
Lol @ "manipulation goodies"!

Carry on.

8)

admin said:
Here is a Youtube on Worship... any thoughts?

Knowing vs. Feeling in Worship: http://youtu.be/KYNBdrFR5Bo

Our feelings merely reveal our knowledge. The two are not mutually exclusive. Our knowledge of who God is will be expressed in any number of emotions. The emotions themselves are neither good or bad, they merely reveal our heart. So when someone asks, "How do you feel?", my answer is, "Based on what?"

admin said:
Isn't it clear that Alayman has been emotionally moved WITHOUT knowledge? He finds ZERO biblical support to redeem this part of the sermon. The only thing left is to pull "manipulation goodies" from the IFB "carpet bag."

What's clear is that in your exodus from IFBx (which you very well may have been complicit in propagating for a number of years as a staff member to the mog) you don't care to ignore the context of the man's history, as well as his immediate context, all in order to make a hasty judgment.

Our emotions will always be moved in Spirit led worship...but our emotions should not drive our worship.

T-Bone said:
Our emotions will always be moved in Spirit led worship...but our emotions should not drive our worship.

" The Lord your God is in your midst,
a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing." Zeph 3:17

Crap... there goes that idea.

rsc2a said:
T-Bone said:

Really? Nothing I said contradicts the passage you quoted.

T-Bone said:
rsc2a said:
T-Bone said:

Expect that emotion is what is the driving force there. You know there is a story where a woman told her husband that emotion shouldn't drive his worship.  Based on the outcome of that story,  I hope you've had all the kids you want already.

rsc2a said:
T-Bone said:
rsc2a said:
T-Bone said:

Expect that emotion is what is the driving force there. You know there is a story where a woman told her husband that emotion shouldn't drive his worship.  Based on the outcome of that story,  I hope you've had all the kids you want already.

I read that verse different... I see it as the presence of All Mighty God touching the emotion! But hey, that's me.