Tithing.... "BUYING" God's blessings

praise_yeshua

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
No matter how you slice it.....

There are many "christians" that believe that God will not bless them unless they "pay God off" with the tithe. Its a simply a "back door" preaching of works to impress God and receive His blessings.

In reality, this couldn't be further from the Truth.....

How many? Total or percentage, your choice.

Ransom said:
praise_yeshua said:
Reality couldn't be further from the Truth.....

Most people find reality to be congruent with the truth.

You're right. I should have said...

In reality, this couldn't be further from the Truth

I'm still a little asleep this morning. My apologizes.

praise_yeshua said:

There are many "christians" that believe that God will not bless them unless they "pay God off" with the tithe. Its a simply a "back door" preaching of works to impress God and receive His blessings.

Reality couldn't be further from the Truth.....

I do agree with you:

OT Law:

...if you keep the commands of the LORD your God and walk in obedience to him...The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands.

Jesus:

He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

praise_yeshua said:

Well, this explains everything. "Reality couldn't be further from the truth" and you live in a world where visitor cards trigger PTSD. You're not crazy, you're just dreaming!

Happens a lot, obviously...

Ransom said:
praise_yeshua said:

Well, this explains everything. "Reality couldn't be further from the truth" and you live in a world where visitor cards trigger PTSD. You're not crazy, you're just dreaming!

Happens a lot, obviously...

I was just arguing the point Ransom. You do it all the time. I don't "boil" you arguments down to having PTSD....

You're just a nice guy. Maybe you need to see some "kittens" today.

praise_yeshua said:
I was just arguing the point Ransom. You do it all the time. I don't "boil" you arguments down to having PTSD....

carda1-copy.jpg

Booga booga!

How do pastor's support their family?
How does a church pay for its ministries?
How do missionaries get sent to foreign countries?

There are many "christians" that believe that God will not bless them unless they "pay God off" by living for Him. Its a simply a "back door" preaching of works to impress God and receive His blessings.

In reality, this couldn't be further from the Truth.....

Works based sanctification is bad, whether tithe, soulwinning, Bible reading, or whatever.  Our salvation in all respects of it are due to His grace.  In that respect, you are right, too many churches are heavy on law, thin on grace.

FSSL said:

Get a job.
Get a job
Get a job where at all possible. Train native peoples to work in their own countries. They can GET A JOB where foreigners can't.

praise_yeshua said:
FSSL said:

Get a job.
Get a job
Get a job where at all possible. Train native peoples to work in their own countries. They can GET A JOB where foreigners can't.
Much of the argument/discussion/disagreement has to do with the model of church a person subscribes to.

If there is a form of leadership in place where that person does the majority of teaching and preaching, and administrates the activities of the church, most people in that model see that as necessary and important, and so empower that person to do so.

If you have a random table talk everyone shares, no one administrates, no one sees the importance or necessity of contributing.

Add to that some Christians are simply covering covetousness by excusing tithing, and we find a hundred reasons not to, and only a few to do so.

I meet people often who's main reason for not tithing is that we are under grace not the law. I remind them that as grace based people, we ought to do more than the law, and they say yes, so I ask if they then give more than 10%, and the answer is invariably no. Their argument/reasoning is invalidated by their lack of consistency.

Giving is done out of gratitude. Structured giving is simply looking into the scriptures for a guidleline. The guideline is easy to find.

ItinerantPreacher said:
praise_yeshua said:
FSSL said:

Get a job.
Get a job
Much of the argument/discussion/disagreement has to do with the model of church a person subscribes to.

If there is a form of leadership in place where that person does the majority of teaching and preaching, and administrates the activities of the church, most people in that model see that as necessary and important, and so empower that person to do so.

If you have a random table talk everyone shares, no one administrates, no one sees the importance or necessity of contributing.

Add to that some Christians are simply covering covetousness by excusing tithing, and we find a hundred reasons not to, and only a few to do so.

I meet people often who's main reason for not tithing is that we are under grace not the law. I remind them that as grace based people, we ought to do more than the law, and they say yes, so I ask if they then give more than 10%, and the answer is invariably no. Their argument/reasoning is invalidated by their lack of consistency.

Giving is done out of gratitude. Structured giving is simply looking into the scriptures for a guidleline. The guideline is easy to find.

Danged ingrates.  How would they ever be able to grow in Christ without their own local pope telling them what to do?  Pay the man. 

I prefer to have a pastor who is able to spend 40+ hours a week in bible study and prayer than one who is worn out from working 40+ hours in a secular job to only have far less hours in bible study and prayer.

I guess you get what you honor.

FSSL said:

Is there a difference between tithing and giving?

Mathew Ward said:
FSSL said:

I guess the simple answer is yes, but it is a definition of some semantics.

Tithing is tenthing, or giving a tenth of ones' increase. Giving is, well, any amount including the tithe.

ItinerantPreacher said:
Mathew Ward said:
FSSL said:

Tithing is tenthing, or giving a tenth of ones' increase. Giving is, well, any amount including the tithe.

Any amount including the "tithe"?

Did you just say that?

praise_yeshua said:
ItinerantPreacher said:
Mathew Ward said:
FSSL said:

Any amount including the "tithe"?

Did you just say that?
Umm, yes, not sure what your driving at. When you tithe, you give, tithing is giving.

Perhaps you could elaborate?

FSSL said:
I prefer to have a pastor who is able to spend 40+ hours a week in bible study and prayer than one who is worn out from working 40+ hours in a secular job to only have far less hours in bible study and prayer.

I guess you get what you honor.

Your preferences are silly. I imagine you'd reject the apostle Paul because he worked a job and still found time for prayer, study... and etc.

Tell me, you're obviously have no respect for your own efforts. You work, pray, study, and goof off. Maybe you should following your own demands...